Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Filderstadt was great... especially when my favourite ever won
J'adore Queen Sandrine! One of those great top 10-20 stalwarts of the 90s and early 00s, and a surprisingly good h2h against Serena.

She's having a bit of a moment right now, just got mentioned on the Tennis Podcast during the Miami relived episode.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Was the Båstad - Swedish Open tier 2? Or how about Nürnberger Gastein Ladies - Bad Gastein Austria? Both great tournaments ❤💝

Bastad only overlapped with the Tier system in the earliest days as a low-Tier event (1990 it was a Tier V and then it disappeared until 2009, when it reappeared as an Int'l), and Bad Gastein overlapped with the Tier system in its final years, as a Tier III, and remained as an Int'l thenafter.

The general rule of thumb is Tier II events would be the equivalent of Premier events today, with Tier I events the equivalent of the PM and P5 events. International events would be the Tier III and IV events, and Tier V would be the 125k series.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

The tournaments in China are not very popular here but Beijing as TIER II tournament looked nice and good. Of course they don't use this stadium anymore because they use the Olympia stadium now (as the second biggest stadium now :sneaky:) but the upgrade was only necessary because the WTA cancelled the great indoor tournaments in autumn in Europe.

·
Good Luck Caro in 2019!
180,880 Posts
I liked Leipzig and Hamborg best as i was there 4-5 times.

Leipzig in the Messe Halle was best as we just all were in the same Halle and players trains into a net court, not to mention that i one year stayed at the players hotel with bla. Kournikova... ;)

I saw Anna also the last year Hamborg was played, where she played doubles with my very big fave Nat Zvereva. :)

·
Registered
29,928 Posts
I definitely miss Stanford (and the other Californian US Open Series events for that matter). The timezone wasn't ideal but it always marked the beginning for the HC season. I feel really nostalgic thinking about these tournaments. I remember watching some Stanford matches via the college livestream back in the day when proper streaming wasn't available from day 1. :D

I also miss Paris Indoors. It was the first tournament Angie ever won! and produced nice tennis every year. St. Petersburg is well organized but doesn't do the trick for me as a replacement.

Can't believe Sydney is gone now. It's a shame.

·
Good Luck Caro in 2019!
180,880 Posts
Btw, i has been some times at tournaments but i still remember this from Hannover, who ithink was tier II also, in a doubles match with Åsa Svenson and Nat Zvereva, ithink they played vs 2 from Germany, but who i dont remember, but one game toke about 25 minuts, some thought the scoreboard was broken, but was not it toke so long. :) Also a big surprise Zvereva did play in Hannover that year, as her big fan Lindsey from Holland did first tell be after i arrived in Hannover she vil play NZ...

·
Registered
17,792 Posts
So depressing to see so many of these incredible events disappear. The tour should have done more for them. I obviously don't know the individual reasons why we've lost so many of these tournaments, but up until the mid-2000s we were seeing such great matches and turnouts in LA, Scottsdale (remember Scottsdale????), Amelia Island—I loved the short European swing with Antwerp, Paris. Also, was Philly a Tier II? I remember one year when Mauresmo, Capriati, and Myskina were all there.

I actually think that China could have used a Tier II or two before trying to lift itself up as a Tier I, YEC destination. These smaller events (generally more affordable for the public) pull in a handful of Top 20 players, and I think they help build a fanbase for the sport without the massive pressure of a huge event that NEEDS to do well. I know Zhenghou was a Tier II last year, but it was so randomly scheduled that I actually didn't even realize it was that a high a level event. And there were also like three events happening that week. That's what I mean, it's almost like we're not giving these events enough attention.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
The tournaments in China are not very popular here but Beijing as TIER II tournament looked nice and good. Of course they don't use this stadium anymore because they use the Olympia stadium now (as the second biggest stadium now :sneaky:) but the upgrade was only necessary because the WTA cancelled the great indoor tournaments in autumn in Europe.
Agreed, I loved the September Asian swing: Bali, Beijing, Tokyo, Seoul....

I remember in 2004 when Kuznetsova, in the span of 16 days, played the singles and doubles finals of the US Open, the singles and doubles finals of the Tier III in Bali, and reached the final of Beijing.

And the 2007 Beijing final between Szavay and Jankovic was exceptional, just everything I want in a tennis match: contrasting styles of play, momentum swings, an emerging talent on a hot streak vs an established top 10 player, Szavay saving a match point with a second-serve ace.

Szavay's 2nd half of 2007, and then flashes of exceptional play in 2008 and 2009, are my big 'what if' for the 2010s. Really thought she would be the clay-court leader to Wozniacki and Azarenka's hardcourt specialization, and Radwanska's relative grass success. Sigh.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
So depressing to see so many of these incredible events disappear. The tour should have done more for them. I obviously don't know the individual reasons why we've lost so many of these tournaments, but up until the mid-2000s we were seeing such great matches and turnouts in LA, Scottsdale (remember Scottsdale????), Amelia Island—I loved the short European swing with Antwerp, Paris. Also, was Philly a Tier II? I remember one year when Mauresmo, Capriati, and Myskina were all there.
Scottsdale was a great event. The year Sugiyama won four matches (singles semi and final, doubles sem and final) in the same day deserves its own Hall of Fame entry.

A lot of the European events disappeared after the 2008 financial meltdown, but I don't know why the California swing disappeared during the US Open series, or some of the end-of-year American indoor events.

I actually think that China could have used a Tier II or two before trying to lift itself up as a Tier I, YEC destination. These smaller events (generally more affordable for the public) pull in a handful of Top 20 players, and I think they help build a fanbase for the sport without the massive pressure of a huge event that NEEDS to do well. I know Zhenghou was a Tier II last year, but it was so randomly scheduled that I actually didn't even realize it was that a high a level event. And there were also like three events happening that week. That's what I mean, it's almost like we're not giving these events enough attention.
Well Beijing existed for a while as a Tier II event, but you're right, they went very quickly from having no tour events (2003) to having two tour events (2004-2012) to 5+ events (2015-present). And given the two most notable Chinese players retired before many events were played in China, it's no wonder small crowds are an issue.

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
I forgot Chicago too - tier 2 held until 1997. Serena made her debut WTA semifinal there beating Pierce and Seles en route (if my long term memory serves me correct)

·
Registered
17,792 Posts
Well Beijing existed for a while as a Tier II event, but you're right, they went very quickly from having no tour events (2003) to having two tour events (2004-2012) to 5+ events (2015-present). And given the two most notable Chinese players retired before many events were played in China, it's no wonder small crowds are an issue.
I actually totally forgot about Beijing as a Tier II. They should have kept it like that for another few years to allow the sport to grow its fanbase in China. And only after seeing a compelling and tangible interest boom should the move for a PM/5 been made. That mathematics aren't there for a big event. And the big rush was just not worth it. I'm all for many events in Asia, but the push for two Tier Is and a YEC??? Slow that roll.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
I actually totally forgot about Beijing as a Tier II. They should have kept it like that for another few years to allow the sport to grow its fanbase in China. And only after seeing a compelling and tangible interest boom should the move for a PM/5 been made. That mathematics aren't there for a big event. And the big rush was just not worth it. I'm all for many events in Asia, but the push for two Tier Is and a YEC??? Slow that roll.
There was TIER II in Shanghai too, but it was short lived and then replaced by Beijing TIER II in the early 2000's.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Can anybody remember how many years they did play in Hannover, ithink last year were in year 2000, where i meet Tina Pisnik on her birthday, i got to know her family and meet them at Wimbledon, so she knew me. :)
I think it had three editions; the last one won by baby Serena beating Denisa Chladkova. This tournament had replaced another German tournament in Essen. Then, it was replaced by Antwerp.

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
Can anybody remember how many years they did play in Hannover, ithink last year were in year 2000, where i meet Tina Pisnik on her birthday, i got to know her family and meet them at Wimbledon, so she knew me. :)
Think it ran 1997-2000 (Champions: 97’ Majoli, 98’ Schynder, 99’ Novotna, 00’ Serena)

It was replaced by Nice in 2001, one off edition before Antwerp took the slot in 02.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts