Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my opinion we had a lot of great TIER II tournaments during the 90s and 00s with great atmospheres and high quality matches. Even tho these were "only" TIER II tournaments, I had the feeling most of the players took these competition seriously. What was the tournament you liked for the most and you felt sad, that it got cancelled?

Here is my list:

Leipzig - I was a child when I attached this tournament for the very first time and received an autograph from Steffi Graf in 1998, after she lost her doubles match. A lot of people came to the tournament, even during the very first round. The draw also looked very nice, Graf, Huber, Kournikova, Clijsters, Dokic etc. played their for a couple of times.

Filderstadt - It was moved to Stuttgart in 2006, probably the right decision, but it also had a nice atmosphere. However, the draw was always fantastic and it's still great in Stuttgart, even tho the tournament is on clay in April now.

Sydney - One of the first tournaments when the season starts with a great looking center court since the Olympics :) Such a shame, the crowd didn't visit this tournament that much during the last year. At least it was moved to Adelaide (who did a good job this year) and the factory is still used for the ATP cup.

Amelia Island - I love the green clay court and miss this tournament and the surface so much :( The first tournament Dementieva won, great matches overall during the years, great atmosphere, the crowd were close to the players etc. I really don't understand why it got downgraded to a TIER III tournament, moved to Ponte Vedra Beach and got cancelled in the end.

L.A. - One of the tournaments during the US Open series, the center court looked fantastic. Unfortunately the center court was not crowded very well and the matches were broadcasted too late (starting the broadcast from the quarterfinal). Even in it's last year in 2009, it would have been better to broadcast the tournament from the beginning, a lot of great players attached the tournament and big matches were played, like Azarenka/Sharapova in the second round or Safina/Zheng in the 3rd round etc. The night session always looked nice in American tournament.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Eastbourne for me. In those days the tournament was run by George Hendon Associates (as was the Tier II event in Brighton) as a women only event with a large draw and some impressive fields. Alas the LTA now run the event and have moved the ATP250 event from Nottingham giving the men equal billing at Eastbourne. An (expensive) Centre Court ticket will only get you 2 WTA matches and now your ticket won't admit you to the women's matches on court 1 or 2 either.

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
Filderstadt and Amelia Island sprung to my mind. They both had their own individual charm.

I also liked Paris Indoors and Essen/Hannover which took place in February each year for quite some time.

·
Registered
113,366 Posts
I would like to see any tournament now. Just to see how it looks and if they can do it with social distancing
For old canceled events, I liked Zurich

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
i really miss back in the mid 90s-early 2000s when we had a schedule that included, AMELIA ISLAND, HILTON HEAD, and HOUSTON, which came after indian wells.

also the GREAT european indoor swing of LEIPZIG, ZURICH, ESSEN, BRIGHTON and FILDERSTADT, which came after the u.s. open.
i still have my program from the 1993 brighton indoor( called the autoglass trophy)
as a matter of interest the top 8 seeds were,
JANA NOVOTNA, ANKE HUBER, MARY PIERCE, KATERINA MALEEVA, PATTY FENDICK, LARISA NEILAND, LEILA MESKHI & GINGER HELGESON.
brings back great memories. novotna d huber 6-2-6-4 in the final.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Sydney back in the early 2000s was amazing!

Honestly, nothing will ever top this legendary Venus/Serena vs. Martina/Monica match for me :-D

I used to play junior tournaments at the time, and in between matches we would wait in the clubhouse and watch Sydney, with Anna Kournikova in that blue playsuit thing and Martina Hingis with her long sleeve/short sleeve thing.

Some GOAT outfits and some GOAT tennis right at the start of the new season.

I also loved Amelia Island, Leipzig and Filderstadt.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Sydney being kicked off the calendar for the ATP Cup was such a shame. 😭 It literally had a longer and more consistent history than the Australian Open, dating back to 1885.

Also had the most beautiful courts (especially after the Olympic renovations), great facilities (was a great tournament for visitors), and almost always drew the top players, even in its later years. The late 90s - early 00s editions when Adidas was the sponsor were some of the peak days of tennis. Hingis' top with one short sleeve and one long is one of my earliest tennis memories @ishgever!

Loved Hamburg and Amelia Island (especially for being clay tournaments). Bangalore was only Tier II for a single year but it had a great court. Miss the fast speeds of Filderstadt.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sydney back in the early 2000s was amazing!

Honestly, nothing will ever top this legendary Venus/Serena vs. Martina/Monica match for me :-D

I used to play junior tournaments at the time, and in between matches we would wait in the clubhouse and watch Sydney, with Anna Kournikova in that blue playsuit thing and Martina Hingis with her long sleeve/short sleeve thing.

Some GOAT outfits and some GOAT tennis right at the start of the new season.

I also loved Amelia Island, Leipzig and Filderstadt.
So jealous about your experience :) I hope I can make it to Australia one day, one of my biggest goals I have.

Sydney was indeed one of the best TIER II tournaments of the tour and the biggest one during the first two weeks of the year until Brisbane got upgraded.

·
Registered
37,643 Posts
Amelia Island, that center court was the definition of idyllic. :love:

Sydney was pretty iconic back in the day too.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Berlin, Hilton Head and Zurich were TIER I

The ones I miss the most are Amelia Island, Filderstadt and San Diego
San Diego was a TIER I tournament for at least four year, but most of the time it was held as a TIER II tournament. Such a shame the US Open series lost their importance :(

America had a lot of great TIER II tournaments like New Haven, but it lost the momentum during the last years. Unfortunately the stadium was way too huge for this tournament and city.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
San Diego was a TIER I tournament for at least four year, but most of the time it was held as a TIER II tournament. Such a shame the US Open series lost their importance :(

America had a lot of great TIER II tournaments like New Haven, but it lost the momentum during the last years. Unfortunately the stadium was way too huge for this tournament and city.
I think the problem has to do with mandatory tournaments. Before this, players choose their own schedule. For instance, some decided to play the California torunaments before the USO; others went to Canada and New Haven.

The thing is that back in the late 90s and early 2000 there were so many good marketable players. Later on, it wasn't the case, so I believe tournament directors decided to make big tournaments mandatory as their tournament weren't profitable anymore.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Amelia Island and Fildesrstadt.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts