Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which recently retired tennis player do you miss the most?

For me, I miss Dominique Van Roost. I had been following her results since she played under her maiden name, Monami :) I really miss her. She was a great as a person and talented as a tennis player. In my eyes, I see Dominique as being Belgium's truely great tennis player. Unlike both Kim and Justine, she's played tennis with minimal controversy and is an outstanding person to relate to. I saw her beat Arantxa at the AO in 1997 and it was one of the most memorable matches I've seen.

Another player I miss is Brenda Schultz McCarthy. Besides that cracking serve, she was sassy (right word? I'm not too crash hot in English) and like Monica, always looked so determined to win her matches. It's a shame she, like Dominique, had to retire at such a young age (27?).

But the one I miss the most is Gabriela Sabatini. If I remember correctly, she was the only player who supported the WTA's decision to freeze Monica's ranking after she was stabbed back in Hamburg. Not to mention that she, unlike Anna (no offence to Anna K fans here), had talent, a great personality and good looks :)

Who are the players you miss?

·
Webmaster
2,023 Posts
Steffi :sad: She's the whole reason i got into tennis ... i just never get into it as much as i did since she retired... while she was playing i followed every tournament and all the results... now i'm much more casual about the tour and sometimes dont even know what's going on

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Poe said:
Steffi :sad: She's the whole reason i got into tennis ... i just never get into it as much as i did since she retired... while she was playing i followed every tournament and all the results... now i'm much more casual about the tour and sometimes dont even know what's going on
I miss Steffi too. Like Amanda, she's very fit and had great court coverage. And I tend to equate her to Martina in that she had to fight tooth and nail against power hitters and proved that strength doesn't necessarily come from the racquet (e.g. Hingis vs Williams and Graf vs Seles).

I still remember the time she broke down in a press conference when those journalists kept asking about her father. Poor Steffi!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
martinafan said:
Martina and anke....

they both went WAYY to young! :sad:
Anke was only 27 :eek: But unlike Martina, Anke wasn't forced to leave. She said she wanted to do something in her life besides tennis and I suppose she wanted to do that something earlier :)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LeonHart said:
Martina Hingis of course! :sad:
Who doesn't? ;)

btw, it's not a rhetorical question. Venus fans, I came prepared :armed:

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
kku said:
Who doesn't? ;)

btw, it's not a rhetorical question. Venus fans, I came prepared :armed:
What's to come prepared for.

I miss Hingis too.

We all know Venus was going to tie the head-to-head, then eventually take the lead. ;) :p

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
VeNuS FoReVeR said:
What's to come prepared for.

I miss Hingis too.

We all know Venus was going to tie the head-to-head, then eventually take the lead. ;) :p
Don't worry, I was only j/k, hence the icon :)

Venus taking the lead?!! Ack! More like Serena taking the lead :) Between the Williams sisters, I don't recall a match where Hingis has been so dominated by either of them (aka, Miami QF 2002, Serena 6-4, 6-0 :eek: )

·
Registered
31,563 Posts
Steffi
Martina
Natasha Zvereva

Kimiko
Manuela
the list goes on...

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gorecki said:
Steffi
Martina
Natasha Zvereva

Kimiko
Manuela
the list goes on...
How could I forget Natasha :eek: I miss her as well.

I don't remember Manuela though. I liked Maggie a lot more than her sisters...don't know why ;)

·
Don't mess with Texas!
4,900 Posts
I didn't like her much while she was playing but I actually miss Martina Hingis now. :eek:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jarrett said:
I didn't like her much while she was playing but I actually miss Martina Hingis now. :eek:
lol, you're probably the first (and only) Monica fan to actually dislike Martina. Was it because of the 15-5 (which I still can't believe. Monica, how could you?!?) record? ;)

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
van roost, hingis, graf.

·
Don't mess with Texas!
4,900 Posts
kku said:
lol, you're probably the first (and only) Monica fan to actually dislike Martina. Was it because of the 15-5 (which I still can't believe. Monica, how could you?!?) record? ;)
Are you being sarcastic? No, I just didn't respect the tennis she played when she was on. I found it boring but now I think I would have appreciated(sp?) it a lot more.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.