Tennis Forum banner

Which teen superstar has more potential, Coco Gauff or Emma Raducanu?

• Coco Gauff

• Emma Raducanu

221 - 240 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
holy crap

and her saying :
‘Yeah, I don’t mean to do that in the moment, but I let my emotions take over.
I kind of don’t regret it. I only regret the racket went so far and almost hit the kid.
Well, looks like she's not just learning splits from the master...

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
my instinctual answer is emma. but i could be completely off the mark. I picked her because what she has done requires another level of confidence which has very rarely been displayed.
They are both Box Office though.... Osaka, Emma, Coco and hopefully Bianca.

Amanda and Iga don't command the same type of attention by the media. That's not to say that they will not shine brightly. Time tells innit.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
It will be interesting to see who gets what court at Indian Wells if Emma and Leylah both attend. I am guessing they will get the main courts for their first match and Coco will be pushed out to a lesser one.

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
It will be interesting to see who gets what court at Indian Wells if Emma and Leylah both attend. I am guessing they will get the main courts for their first match and Coco will be pushed out to a lesser one.
NOPE.

Don't see Coco getting pushed off to a lesser court.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Why are people worried about Gauff? She's 17, in the Top 20, and has won 36 matches this year.

When Gauff arrived on the scene in 2019, people were complaining that she was overhyped and saying that she needs to do more. Now that she's having a sustained rise (in singles and doubles), it's not enough because two other teenagers (who are both older than her, btw), have leapfrogged her to winning Slams/making Slam finals.

Let her just continue to do what she's doing, at her own pace.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Of course Emma will get CC ! That’s not even a question and I believe Coco is more then happy with that 😊

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Why are people worried about Gauff? She's 17, in the Top 20, and has won 36 matches this year.

When Gauff arrived on the scene in 2019, people were complaining that she was overhyped and saying that she needs to do more. Now that she's having a sustained rise (in singles and doubles), it's not enough because two other teenagers (who are both older than her, btw), have leapfrogged her to winning Slams/making Slam finals.

Let her just continue to do what she's doing, at her own pace.
Because of her forehand. Who will try to overhaul it within the next 12 months. Her Dad is her coach and isn’t qualified to do it. Soon she will be 18, then 19 and if she still has that forehand then she won’t be much better than she is ever probably.

·
Art & Futures
22,587 Posts
She can still get far even with that forehand. Others such as Dementieva have had some weaknesses that they worked around. Not sure about multi-slam champ unless she works on it more though, or becomes incredible in other areas.

·
Registered
47,617 Posts
emma raducanu is what coco should have been, but her team FAILED her... in an attempt to grab money and fame, they put her out there, an unfinished project... sure she had some surprise wins at first, but after there was enough tape on her, everyone knew her glaring weaknesses and started to gameplan how to play her...

emma is the COMPLETE opposite of coco. she didnt play during the pandemic and focused on her education, took the time to change her grip/racket, and was rewarded with a run at wimbledon. then after her embarrassing collapse, what did she do? play ITF tournaments... then went to the USO and the rest is history...
Interesting about Gauff. I think she's stalled a bit...because who has she beaten lately? So her ranking is nice, but that's product of playing a lot. It's gonna be interesting how she does from here.. the forehand is an issue.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Interesting about Gauff. I think she's stalled a bit...because who has she beaten lately? So her ranking is nice, but that's product of playing a lot. It's gonna be interesting how she does from here.. the forehand is an issue.
How did she play a lot? She is still under AER. She has a limited schedule but managed to score more wins than Svitolina.

·
Registered
394 Posts

Its a shame
17 and only 6 at the list 🙄🥱😏
Nobody is saying Gauff is nota really good player, huge serve, nice backhand, drop shots can be great and will win allot of games.

The point is that forehand will not be so helpful her sucess deeper into in slams on faster surfices when things get tight at the moment, so less of an issue on clay. Emma changed her forehand last year, so plenty of time for Coco who is still only 17.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Nobody is saying Gauff is nota really good player, huge serve, nice backhand, drop shots can be great and will win allot of games.

The point is that forehand will not be so helpful her sucess deeper into in slams on faster surfices when things get tight at the moment, so less of an issue on clay. Emma changed her forehand last year, so plenty of time for Coco who is still only 17.
Yep, if Coco had Steffi Graf's forehand, she would already have won a slam. The rest of her game except the wayward second serve prone to df stands up really well. She has a very developed repertoire of volleys and lobs etc for such a young player.

·
Registered
633 Posts
guaff is no longer the best junior in the world, simple as, fact, she been pipped to the third post
she has been enjoying the status since her breakthrough from WC, now maybe its time to do some reality check?
it doesn't look like playing this much doing her any good and producing mediocre result should not sit well with her like anyone in top school not happy with anything less than straight As
mext year she'll be 18, tick tock
she prob will the one need a break from the tour unironically🤷‍♂️

there's nothing to say about emma except she just needs to work her butt off to become the new face of wta both on and off court

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Yes her Fh gives her troubles and I hope she will take a break of the tour for a couple of months to concentrate on it. Its also her final examens year so a break will do her good.

When you start so young then there is always more concerning about burnouts

She needs also a new coach. Next year she is not underage anymore so then it’s time to dump dad and go on the road with only her trainer.

The good thing about Emma is that she has not her dad in her team and she is traveling with only her coaches / team.

But with Coco we see that she can play a consistent tour. End she still play under age restrictions.

From leylah we also know she is a consistent player but I don’t expect a final anytime soon.

From Emma we have no idea how she will play a full tour. Especially now she must deal with all the hype around her. It will be really interesting how next year will be for all those young next gen girls

·
Registered
12,205 Posts
i remember the same hype around ostapenko lol

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
And we know how that ended

Insane hype as the British do to Emma is the hell for every player s development

221 - 240 of 346 Posts