Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
LOL! Great question!

They're equally crooked and useless. But I prefer figure skating to boxing because figure skating is responsible for less deaths (don't tell that to Elena Berezhnaya, though).

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
Pure emotion? See an opera.

Beauty? Go to an art museum.

NOW, for arbitrary voting and the fun of watching people fall...you can't beat figure skating. :D

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like figure skating especially the hot girls wearing next to nothing. However I feel it's a joke when you see how it's decided.

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
Oh, I've no doubt, given the sport's history, that something shady went on...

But it's nothing new and you have to accept it if you're going to put your heart into figure skating. Fortunately, for my weak heart, I don't. ;)

I agree, the best skaters are magical -- Yagudin last night was tremendous -- but the sport as a whole is as crooked as a ring toss at a carnival :D

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
Crooked or not. Who cares. Figure Skating is beautiful. Boxing is for people who think that the head's major function is to be hit by someone fists.

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
The question wasn't "Which sport is more beautiful?" Figure skating would win that hands down, you'll get no argument from me.

But the sport is still crooked. It would be more beautiful if it weren't judged, especially when judgments are given before the skaters step onto the ice. :D

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
Hurley, if you think that the judgement was made before skaters stepped on the ice, you are perhaps 20% right and 80% wrong.
It is not judgement, it is semi-judgement or perhaps even a 1/4-judgement. All judges know well the programs of main competitors, so before the program is even skated, almost every judge knows what (s)he will do. Something similar to
"I like program of Russian pair much more than the program of Canadians, and I think it is more difficult and more interesting, so if they will skate both program to a comparable quality, I will vote for Russians. I.e the way it is normally skated, I'd have presentation for Russian 0.1 point higher than for Canadians. ". I am sure that's how it is. If Sikhuralidze would fall instead of unclean landing, I am 100% sure, Canadians would have got the gold.

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
As am I.

I can't help that the judges have seen these programs before, but that shouldn't matter. It does, though, and that's why it's a crooked sport and the results are often laughable.

I'm gonna leave it at that since neither one of us is going to waver.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
"Hurley, if you think that the judgement was made before skaters stepped on the ice, you are perhaps 20% right and 80% wrong.
It is not judgement, it is semi-judgement or perhaps even a 1/4-judgement. "

In which case, Hurley is 100% right. ANy judgement, is a judgement, no matter wether their minds are 100% made up.

A sport where the judges go into the performances with an idea of who will be on the podium at the end - is crooked.
They should be able to watch and critique each performace without already having the podium laid out.

Furthermore, if the Russian pair had fallen, of course the Canadians would have won. With just a stumble the judges still look like biases morons for picking the Russians to wins - with a fall they'd have looked like monstorous idiots.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
What happened, Becca? You sounded not nearly as bitter 30 minutes ago.. Someone upset you?

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
tough call.

I would give my vote to boxing, they have how many? like 300 different categories, it's like a different one every two kgs :rolleyes:

also, they have the federation, the association, the council, every possible name to describe a collective body, how many champions?

I could propose some new federations/associations whatever to be created:
International Boxing Directory
International Boxing Academy
International Boxing Board
International Boxing Chamber
International Boxing Council
International Boxing Parliament
International Boxing Duma

Then you can change the word International for some other like intercontinental, world, universal, maybe each person in the world will be world champion one day :confused:

·
Devoted Capriati-Ite
185,817 Posts
I'd have to say Boxing! For The Most Part, Figure Skating At Least Tries!

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
What is TA , Becca?

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
It depends. If you want to talk about people stealing money from the particapants, general corruption, and criminal participants, then boxing. If you are talking about fixed scorecards, they are far less common in boxing than skating.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
Oh, I see. That was not nice of him.. Are you feeling better now?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts