Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which underused surface would you like to see more of in future WTA tournaments?

·
Banned
5,053 Posts
Clay... Creating Doha, Dubai, Scottsdale and Stanford (they are or will be all Tier II) was a mistake, big mistake. At least Bahia doesn't exist anymore. Shanghai should be abolished as well or be indoor.

Right now there is only 6 big tournements on clay, there used to be 8 with Houston and Madrid, not enough.

I don't know why clay is not more privileged, it's on that surface we see who are the real talented players.

·
Banned
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would say grass. I think it's a perfect change of pace after the claycourt season. There are way too many hardcourt tournaments (both outdoors and indoors). I think the grasscourt season should be 6 weeks (4 weeks of warmup tournaments and Wimbledon).

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
There are too many hardcourt tournaments, divide them up to grass/clay

·
Registered
24,264 Posts
well i like to watch hardcourt tennis the most-- but it's bad for the bodies and very much to blame for a lot of the injuries... so some more clay and grass. add a week to wimby warmup and make it a tier 1... (or upgrade eastbourne and upgrade a tier3 to 2). clay can always be added-- houston for instance might get a tier1 if the mens tourney goes well there... maybe it will be a joint like miami and IW (how cool would that be?)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
49,763 Posts
Vienna should be grass!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,694 Posts
...grass of course...

...though I'm not sure how this idea of moving Wimby back a week to extend the grass court season fits in with the AO move... :confused:

:)

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Mud, Wood, Asphalt, Concrete, Teflon, Ice, Sheet metal, bone, whatever - a Williams will still win.

tsk, sorry

·
Registered
941 Posts
what about a clay-court-indoor tournament?
Is that possible???
that would be really weird ...

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Definately GRASS, the girls can practically get away with having not being able to play on grass at all, grass season is a joke

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Actually, some Davis Cup matches have been played indoors on clay. It seemed kind of cool.

It would be great to have more grass court tournaments, but are there really a lot of viable grass court venues? Grass courts are pretty rare, and they're hard to maintain, and of course, the gap between the French and Wimbledon is just so short.

More realistically, I'd like to see a lot of the hard court events turned into clay court events, like Doha, Dubai, and maybe even Key Biscayne.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I'd like to see them make more indoor tournaments. Different surfaces but all indoor.
Imagine the lobs. :)
(That would have helped the US Open greatly. )

edit:
Forgot to answer surface. Definitly clay. :bounce:
(But over here, we have the famous shellcourts. )

·
Registered
504 Posts
Clay without question. Its just more exiting to watch, more variation in the game, less emphasis on power. In terms of the mens game, well you can cut all those players who can serve 50 aces a match. I'll always enjoy watching tennis on clay the most.

·
Registered
34,742 Posts
Definitely clay. It's the most exciting tennis and we'd see fewer injuries then.

·
Banned
371 Posts
Carpet please, let the carpet lover have their big tournies to gain points!
As I always say, The Australian Open should be held on carpet, it would be a perfect balance--four majors on four surfaces.
Anyway, grass season is needed to be extended as well.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Rebound Ace without a doubt. Let's face it, grass is just a horrible surface.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts