Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what i see is peng and bartoli.
Clijsters tends to give up against justine a lot.
Patty has that atitude a bit too.

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
no you are not correct. Clijsters actually has one of the lowest percentage of retiring in the match.

Statistically Jankobitch -- not an example in sportsmanship -- leads the stats. She has retired in an incredible 11% of the matches she played. She is followed closely by Petrova and then Serena Williams.

In the ATP tour this phenomenon is much less common.

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
no you are not correct. Clijsters actually has one of the lowest percentage of retiring in the match.

Statistically Jankobitch -- not an example in sportsmanship -- leads the stats. She has retired in an incredible 11% of the matches she played. She is followed closely by Petrova and then Serena Williams.

I think pengluv meant giving up during the course of a match without nec. retiring. Going through the motions to just get the match they're losing over with.

I've seen Kuznetsova do this against Henin in Dubai, although I assume it had more to do with fatigue than disgust. Jankovic vs. Henin at the US Open. Clijsters against Henin more than once. In fact, a lot of players end up this way against Henin.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts

actually, jankovic is commonly regarded as one of the players on tour with the best sportsmanship on court (if that makes sense!)

you watch any of her matches... she constantly applauds opponents, even when losing and is graceful in defeat

·
Premium Member
13,968 Posts
I don't think that Clijsters had a tendency to give up, but she sometimes stopped believing when things didn't go her way, especially against Justine. She panicked, but she didn't give up.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Well didnt Bondarenko just give up to Ivanovic in Berlin?
They still had 2 points left!

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
I would disagree with that - the men are more sly about it and just express it differently.
The likes of Lopez, Lujicic, Ferrero are a selection of well-known ATP Tankers.
Is it more common, and does surrender begin sooner with some of the top women - I don't know.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would disagree with that - the men are more sly about it and just express it differently.
The likes of Lopez, Lujicic, Ferrero are a selection of well-known ATP Tankers.
Is it more common, and does surrender begin sooner with some of the top women - I don't know.
I agree, it's pointed out more so on the WTA then ATP, also I'll add James Blake to that group.

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
It's still done WAAAAAAAAY more on the WTA than the ATP tour.

I'd agree with the Clijsters assessment that she doesn't give up, but loses her belief in herself. I think that was spot on because hers was the first name that came to mind when I read the title. I'd also throw in Myskina there too. Once she finds out she's getting her ass kicked and defeat is more or less inevitable she'd just go for the typical "whatever" shots in hopes that she'd blast some sick winners and win a couple of games, but doesnt and hits errors and loses in the blink of an eye.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Jankovic drives me nuts giving up against Henin. She's ahead and playing well -- and then just loses total confidence and lets Justine back in. Frustrating. I had hoped Jelena would overcome this fault before hitting the top 10.

I have hopes (dreams really) that Jelena gets passed this at the FO, and if she's in Henin's draw -- hands her an amazing UPSET! Yeah, baby. That would make the FO for moi. ;)!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Wait? You're talking about "tanking?" I thought you were talking about loss of belief in one's self. My comments above regarding Jelena and Justine are based on loss of confidence, NOT tanking!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
27,483 Posts
Davenport retired a few times during her career, always injured... And she tanked in some important matches, against monica YEC 2002, several match points in that tiebreak, horrible third set, and against Serena, aus open 2005 final, 6-0 third set... i don´t even like to remember those

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
umm i meant by giving up, not necc. retirement. Clijsters does give up mentally a lot against henin. You could see this in last years french and windbledon. She was there but she clearly did not have the attitude to win. Her dropshot on match point down is also a clear example but she gets it to work a lot. As for the men, murrary is worse than most of the women in my opinion. All he does is scream and wine, and give up too. I wonder how brad takes it. Personally with jankovich i think she pretends to give up to phyche people out.

·
Premium Member
20,853 Posts
give up in the way of tanking
Zakopalova [:sobbing:], Schnyder, S.Klaschka

give up in the way of retiring
Vierin, Bartoli, Stevenson, Razzano

·
Registered
39,660 Posts
Well whenever lower ranked players play a good first set against great opponents but somehow lose those first sets, then they often get steamrolled afterwards.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts