Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's cool learning about the players and what they speak. For example, I had no idea Nicole V. was fluent in German, and I thought it was pretty awesome for Lena D to bust out the French a few years back in her runner up speech at Roland Garros. Anyone know of any other players that are fluent in something else besides English and their native tongue?

·
¡Davai!
14,076 Posts
Dani speaks German, English, Italian and she is laerning frech

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
In Many countries (Anyway in France) at school you learn English and you HAVE to take another language so all the french can speak at least 3 languages and i think it's the same in many places ( of course, not in the USA where often, they are just able to speak english ) .

·
¡Davai!
14,076 Posts
FrenchY52 said:
In Many countries (Anyway in France) at school you learn English and you HAVE to take another language so all the french can speak at least 3 languages and i think it's the same in many places ( of course, not in the USA where often, they are just able to speak english ) .

And also here we have to be learning english since kindergarden ;) wich is good and rigth now Im learning Frech in the school too. But you don't have other choice for example if you wanna learn German you will have to go to other place different than your school. english is obligatory and French optional.

I like both (well I frech is lovely but its also harder than english)

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Pennetta speaks very well Spanish (because she lives in Spain with bf Carlos Moya since 2 years).

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
Sveta speaks fluent Spanish, having trained for years in Barcelona. (I think Nadya speaks Polish for the same reason, after her years in Cracow). Manu speaks French and Italian. (As does Sandrine, who married her Italian coach). Marti of course speaks Czech and German, and in Misa's case, its Czech and Dutch. Smash would be fluent in Russian, Hebrew, and Italian. And the Peppermint Puzzle speaks German and French.

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I mean like who speaks them pretty fluently.. I guess we don't get to hear them speak it too often, but I've heard Venus' "italian", and shes trying, but I really don't count it as speaking another language... On a side note, how do these players seriously have time to learn English? Is there anyone who doesn't speak english, like at all?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
RobTheRusski said:
I mean like who speaks them pretty fluently.. I guess we don't get to hear them speak it too often, but I've heard Venus' "italian", and shes trying, but I really don't count it as speaking another language... On a side note, how do these players seriously have time to learn English? Is there anyone who doesn't speak english, like at all?
I think Rafa didn't speak it well at all but when you travel all over the world, it's very fast to learn .

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Top Ten Players and their languages:

1) Amelie Mauresmo- French, English, German?? (does anyone have proof of this one)

2) Kim Clijsters- Flemish, English (does anyone know if she speaks French?)

3) Nadia Petrova- Russian, English, Polish

4) Maria Sharapova- English, Russian (how is her russian btw?)

5) JHH- French, English

6) Mary Pierce- English, French (props to Mary on improving her french bigtime)

7) Lindsay Davenport- English

8) Lena D- Russian, English, French

9) Patty Schnyder- German, English, French

10) Kuzzie- Russian, Spanish, English

feel free to add if im missing some..

1 - 20 of 100 Posts