Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The couple times Serena Williams played Maria Sharapova were scary. And Martina Hingis seemed at one point, to really like beating Venus Williams. Of course that was while she WAS beating Venus.

Yet, players generally try to avoid letting the public know when things are personal. That may just be strategic. After beating Serena once, Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario made the mistake of saying she won because Serena needed to be taught a lesson. Serena won the last three times they played in straight sets, so the 'lesson' may have been 'make short work of your detractors.'

Anyway, moving on up til today, who really wants to lay the smack down of who?

Reactions: new-york

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
I think Lindsay liked beating up on poor ole Mauresmo sometimes........

Reactions: new-york

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
it seemed to me that Martina loved beating Lindsay, but it's Lindsay who beat Martina more times. But they both enjoyed their matches against each other.

·
Registered
15,213 Posts
Serena Williams loves beating Amelie. How many times has she won 6-1 6-1 or 6-2 6-1?

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Re: Which players seem to REALLY like beating which players?

The ones who have psychopathic tendencies.. :scared: :tape:

:p

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Patty loves to beat Daniela

After Daniela`s loss to Patty at Olympics, Daniela gave an interview about the rivarly..I don`t feel like writing about it now. It`s too late(in Slovakia)

Maybe 'loves' is not the right word but it used to be her habit-beating Daniela. fighting back after trailing..

·
Premium Member
13,968 Posts
Jennifer loved beating Serena and vice versa
Hingis loved beating the Williams sisters and vice versa

Same for Serena and Sharapova and Justine and Serena now I think. It's usually a sign of respect actually. When a player really is obsessed with beating a player it basically means that they see that player as an important rival, and that beating her would in their own minds prove a point.

Of course there are bound to be some hate match-ups also. Schnyder versus Kournikova comes to mind.

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Serena - Jennifer. Both plays loved to beat each other. I dont think Ive ever seen such an intense rivalry. All of their matches had so much emotion involved, mostly because they both really wanted nothing more than to beat the other one.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Hantuchova beating Hingis.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Any tour playing beating a Williams.

All players seem to get a special thrill and joy from beating a Williams sister.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hingis beating the WS and vice versa
Venus beating Patty
Serena and Jennifer beating each other

Venus and Lindsay beating each other

Ivanovic beating Hingis
Hingis beating Maria S.

the list can go on and on.

Though, most of these players, even though they love beating each other, have GREAT respect for each other (especially in the Venus-Lindsay, Jennifer-Serena matches)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts