Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The big names of the modern game: Hingis, Davenport, V Williams, Capriati, Pierce? No, no, no, no, and no.

Young up and comers who have only had a few chances to fail: Clijsters, Henin, Dokic? No, No, and No.

Only 2. (unless there is a young player who has only played 1 or 2 Slams and gotten through)

Serena Williams has played 14 Slams and never lost in the first round. She has made the 3rd round 13 times out of 14. She played her first Slam at age 16.

Monica Seles is playing her 35th Slam, and has never lost in the first round. Being well in control of Cara Black "tomorrow" (don't argue the somantics of Trans-Pacific timekeeping), she appears to be well on her way to her 34th 3rd round appearance in 35 tries, including 3 Slams played at age 15.

They are it, but I would be remiss if I did not mention Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, who until her loss to Iva Majoli "today" had advanced to the 2nd round 44 consecutive times, since losing in the first round at the 1990 Wimbledon, 11 and a half years ago.

·
Registered
25,264 Posts
yes my Monica never never lost in first round so frankly speaking, I usually only start to worry about her performances after the 2nd week :cool:

·
Registered
12,118 Posts
:) Serena my girl also didn't lost in the first round of a Grand Slam :kiss:
Hope she can continue with this record :)

·
Premium Member
21,310 Posts
Thanx Hurley! You took the words right out of my mouth! And Fiona's too ;)
(Lets just forget her final round qualifying loss at Roland Garros, that doesnt count :angel: )

:D :p

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
Qualifying isn't a first round loss, now is it? :)

I think Eleni can pick up another win this round too... :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts