Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you think.

I think 2002 had to be a heartbreaking season for Martina Hingis. Wasting four matchpoints against Capriati at the Australian Open Final- not to mention getting spanked by Hantuchova (4-6, 3-6 at Indina Wells Final), Serena (4-6, 0-6 at Miami Quarterfinal), Venus (5-7, 3-6 at Hamburg Semifinal), and other losses to Seles, Myskina, and Dementieva. Not to mention retiring near the end of the year.

Also, this year (2005) must have been pretty heartbreaking, so far, for Maria Sharapova. She wasted three matchpoints against Serena at the Australian Open Semifinals, a 6-0, 6-0 loss to Lindsay Davenport at the Indian Wells Semifinal, consecutive losses to Justine Henin-Hardenne, and the "Queen on Grass/Reigning Wimbledon Champion" losing to Venus Williams in the Semifinals of Wimbledon.

Any other years worth mentioning?

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
LenaD just because of her 4r matchups at grand slams...she's lost them all in three sets...and should have won all 3. Just throwing it out there.

·
Banned
25,017 Posts
I agree with Dementieva, she is a good fighter, but unlike last year, the big matches have not been going her way. Hopefully she finds her form on the hardcourts b/c she is my favorite russian along with Lena B. :)

·
Registered
15,893 Posts
I don't think Maria' 2005 is heartbreaking AT ALL. If i were her i'd be proud ....sure she could have done more but what she did was still amazing :worship:

Myskina i would say is the one having a "heartbreaking" year so far

·
Registered
85 Posts
Myskina for sure. It's pretty clear that problems in private life has effected her game. I'm certainly not a fan of hers, but clearly she has not been able to concentrate on her game and play at her best standard. All the best for her getting back to top of her game. Then we will see how good she actually is.

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
Arantxa '95 hands down.
Made 3 Slam finals - was a favourite to win AO with Steffi out, but ran into hot hot HOT Pierce in the finals... performance Mary would not repeat in the next 5 years.
Lost in RG final to Steffi, 6-0 3rd set no less. :sad:
Then came the epic Wimbledon final, the game of all games, she couldn't hold serve there, and you know how it ended. :bigcry:
That really got to her, the rest of the season was pretty iffy, and she had a totally unnecessary loss to MJ Fernandez at US Open.

On a positive side, that was the year she finally got to #1. :)

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
serena after wimbledon 2002-till' the australian open this year, then the australian-current. damn injuries:(

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I think Monica's 1997 season was disappointing cos she got to so many finals but lost to Hingis.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Venus Williams 2002. Losing three straight GS finals.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just_Me said:
I don't think Maria' 2005 is heartbreaking AT ALL. If i were her i'd be proud ....sure she could have done more but what she did was still amazing :worship:

Myskina i would say is the one having a "heartbreaking" year so far
As an 18 year-old, to get your ass whooped by a elderly woman (in tennis, of course) 6-0, 6-0- when everybody is hyping you to be great, that wouldn't be heartbreaking?

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
anniflava said:
As an 18 year-old, to get your ass whooped by a elderly woman (in tennis, of course) 6-0, 6-0- when everybody is hyping you to be great, that wouldn't be heartbreaking?
...not to me, it was sorta indicative of karma..and the fact that she's okay but not that great yet. :tape:

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
anniflava said:
Just wondering what you think.

I think 2002 had to be a heartbreaking season for Martina Hingis. Wasting four matchpoints against Capriati at the Australian Open Final- not to mention getting spanked by Hantuchova (4-6, 3-6 at Indina Wells Final), Serena (4-6, 0-6 at Miami Quarterfinal), Venus (5-7, 3-6 at Hamburg Semifinal), and other losses to Seles, Myskina, and Dementieva. Not to mention retiring near the end of the year.

Also, this year (2005) must have been pretty heartbreaking, so far, for Maria Sharapova. She wasted three matchpoints against Serena at the Australian Open Semifinals, a 6-0, 6-0 loss to Lindsay Davenport at the Indian Wells Semifinal, consecutive losses to Justine Henin-Hardenne, and the "Queen on Grass/Reigning Wimbledon Champion" losing to Venus Williams in the Semifinals of Wimbledon.

Any other years worth mentioning?
I strongly disagree about Maria. She is on the verge of becoming #1 in the world. Her loses to Venus, Serena, and Lindsay aren't heartbreaking since all of them are more experienced players than her. She is young and will probably dominate all of them in a few years.

IMO, Myskina has probably has had it the worst of the top players. Considering her mother's health and her resulting slumping on the tennis court.

Let's also not forget Serena, who finally looked like she was ready to stay in the top 4 and severly injured herself in Amelia Island at the start of the clay season, missing the French, and going out to a Jill Craybas in the 3r at Wimbledon.

One also must feel for Lindsay who was beaten in 2 slam finals this year, losing both after being ahead and playing well.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
anniflava said:
Not too heartbreaking considering this "elderly" woman was the #1 player, and plays a smarter game than Maria.

·
Premium Member
20,681 Posts
Amanda Coetzer :sad: I miss her! :sad:

2004 - Reached 2r as world No.30 at Sydney (d. No.25 Schnyder, l. to No.7 Myskina) and as No.27 seed at Australian Open (d. No.104 Snyder, l. to No.48 Safina); as No.49 (top seed) with 1r bye, l. opening match at Acapulco to No.108 Marrero; withdrew from Indian Wells, Amelia Island, Charleston, Berlin, Roland Garros and Wimbledon for rest and recovery, and then announced retirement after 16-and-a-half-year career.

-----
It all started in 2002, where she fell out of the top 20 for the first time since 1991. but then she really struggled in late 03-04 too win any matches at all.

Its dissapointing the way she retired. :sad:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts