Tennis Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
WTA: Sharapova, Serena
ATP: Federer, Nadal, Djokovic

I'm actually kinda surprised that people forget about Venus and Andy Murray, especially Andy. So much for British beloved "Big 4" :lol:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Big 3, Delpotro, Serena, Sabatini, Paola Suarez, they heard some other names like Sharapova Kerber etc. but they´re not sure if they´re tennis players

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Saw this thread whilst on the phone to my mum I asked her to name Female Tennis Players who are currently playing her response...

Serena & Venus Williams, Maria Sharapova, Jankovic and the other vic one (I assume she was trying to get at Ivanovic). Then she said Konta, Watson and Laura Robson... long pause different conversation... Then shouts AZARENKA!

Pliskova, Svitolina, Andreescu, Barty and Osaka are nowhere near my mums mind and I would say she's probably an above average knowledge about tennis.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I think I once saw a Halep match with my father nearby and told him she's Romanian, so he always asks about her.

I have a friend, who is totally uncapable to spot similarities between people, whom I once showed a picture of Steffi Graff stating that she looks like Laura Dern. So this friend of mine now knows Steffi as "that big nosed woman who you think looks like Laura Dern but has absolutely nothing in common"

Another friend of mine knows Rublev as "the Russian who looks like a crackhead" because we once saw a match involving him

I once had a match with a girl on Tinder who looked a bit like Ostapenko and told her and she agreed.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Serena (and she has a sister)
Sharapova (fading)
Bouchard (some fading here, too)
Kournikova (still lingering)
and Andreescu (the last couple of months)

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
My hetero male friend who is not into WTA knows Genie Bouchard, also Alison van Uytvanck, pls don't ask how xd

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Even friends who are interested in sports or even tennis just know a very few names.

Everybody knows Federer of course plus Nadal.
If you ask for a female player, everybody in Germany knows Steffi Graf of course.
Most people know the Williams sisters and that's it. Sometimes Sharapova or Kerber.
But I am afraid that most people in the tennis club (!!!) never heard of Barty, Osaka, Kvitova or Halep.
And pretty much nobody does who is not interested in sports.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Everyone seems to know Serena. Many know Venus. Some know Sharapova.

In Australia, lots know Stosur and Barty. I think Jelena Dokic may be up there too.

Some others know players like Kerber, Azarenka, Wozniacki and Osaka.

·
Registered
50,579 Posts
Maria Sharapova :hearts:
Serena
Aga Radwanska
Caroline Wozniacki
Ana Ivanovic
Bouchard
Anna Kournikova
Martina Hingis
Henin
Clijsters

And the German players:
Kerber
Görges
Siegemund (because she won Stuttgart)
Petkovic
Lisicki
Steffi Graf

And some know also:
Kvitova
Pliskova
Halep
Gauff (there was so much hype this year)

·
Registered
10,174 Posts
Is it that interesting? Why is tennis the only sport where supposedly hardcore fans obsess over what casual fans know or think? Why do people like fongoeswest act as though the sport lives and dies by what people who don't care about it think? I'm so bored of TF's obsession with marketability and mainstream appeal. Does it appeal to YOU, is the question, and if not then no one's forcing you to keep watching it.

Football fans don't care which footballers I've heard of (I don't follow it at all).

I follow athletics, gymnastics and golf in an extremely casual way but I don't see fans of those sports caring which of their athletes I've heard of.

The answers are all exactly what you expect with minor variance between countries, anyway. Why is it interesting to reiterate that Serena, Venus and Sharapova are the best known names in women's tennis? They're the ones that friends with zero interest in tennis could name. Some more casual fans could probably name Osaka, Konta, Watson, Andreescu, Gauff, but it's pretty random - if you don't really follow the sport but happen to have the TV on during Wimbledon when a Hsieh match is on, you'll remember her even if you don't know most top 20 players.
Who put a turd in your punch bowl. Jeezzz! :(

·
Registered
15,244 Posts
Seles, Graf, Ivanovic, Jankovic, Sharapova, Serena, Venus, Kournikova and maybe Henin and that's it.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
1st - MaSha - a couple of friends even follow her on social media because of her amazing taste and lifestyle. Also, at least 3 of them (who know absolutely nothing about tennis) came to me to comment her residence featured on Architectural Digest.
2nd - Serena - my mom loves her. Some friends know her for what she represents for black people.
3rd - Aga - because I always talked about her :lol:
4th - Ivanovic - a lesbian friend had a crush on her.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts