Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i asked my brother and he could only name sharapova, the williams sisters, halep and ivanovic (he thinks she's still playing :lol:), then asked a couple friends and they could only name sharapova and serena :help:

·
Registered
733 Posts
I think in Latvia people only know Ostapenko, maybe also Sevastova or Sharapova

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Good thread Fon. It will be interesting to see the replies.

I suspect it'll generally be low numbers, but then again, I think many general sports fans would struggle to name 10 active ATP players.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Most of mine know of Sharapova, Serena, Venus, and I'd imagine a few will still remember Naomi Osaka after the US Open 2018 final. E.g. if I said 'who's Naomi Osaka' they'd say the person who played Serena when it all kicked off, but if I asked them who Pliskova was they wouldn't have a clue. Well they might suspect she was a tennis player with it being me asking, but if I said who was a tennis player out of say Katerina Cerny or Karolina Pliskova, I doubt they'd know.

·
Registered
112,700 Posts
Safin and Federer

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
I don't talk tennis with my non tennis friends. Is that weird? :)
+1

There was a time I was watching Tsitsipas vs Stan at the FO, and cousin said I should put Nadal. Had to explain that the match was live, and Nadal was not on that time.

Most mention Serena, Venus, Osaka for the ladies.

·
La nuit je mens
86,901 Posts
Serena Williams
Maria Sharapova

They often know there's a second Williams sisters but Venus' name is getting lost by now.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Federer, Nadal, Serena, Venus, Sharapova.
McEnroe, Connors, Borg, Sampras, Agassi, Evert and Navratilova.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Of the current female players my non tennis fans friends who are British have heard of the Williams sisters and Johanna Konta. Konta enters their conversation when she does well in the Grand Slams.

·
Stanning for Andi
20,731 Posts
I was very surprised my friend, who doesn't have much interest in sport whatsoever, knew who Angelique Kerber was. But I would say the only household names on the WTA in the UK in terms of active players are the Williams sisters and Sharapova. I don't even think Konta is that well-known despite her credentials over the last few years. A few people might have heard of Kvitova, Osaka, Azarenka etc but that is not to say they could name them off their head.

There is a quiz show in the UK called 'Pointless' in which 100 people are asked a question and the objective of the contestants is to pick the lowest scoring answer. Tennis questions often feature and even recent winners such as Petra Kvitova are incredibly low scoring answers for questions related to Wimbledon winners, world No.1s.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Serena Williams
Maria Sharapova

They often know there's a second Williams sisters but Venus' name is getting lost by now.
I remember that poster about Serena Williams with "Trivia: Serena has an older sister that also plays tennis". SMH.

·
Registered
30,765 Posts
I live in the U.S.

Serena, Venus, Sharapova, Gauff. Some know Osaka. That’s literally it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This.

A few random friends of mine follow Bouchard on Instagram :eek:h: but she's far, far from a household name.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Men big 3
Women Serena , venus , maria sharapova and before someone say i am saying it bcoz she is my bias, no its not true. They also know Naomi these days as she was in current affairs topic revision from sep to june for like 9 months bcoz of 2 slams b2b lolsss. Her 2 slams b2b made headlines and that gauff incident also got applauded in news and newspapers....

·
Registered
751 Posts
Friends that I don't talk about tennis know "Sabrina" Williams, "wasn't there this japanese player?" , "Steffi Graf isn't playing anymore right?", the "dopista Sharapova (but she is also attractive!)" and Angelique Kerber.

Friends that I speak to about tennis know Jelana Jankovic, Angieszka Radwanska, Kim Clijsters or Sillisters.

My great aount knows "the Pierce - she walked so straight!", Hingis "she was a bit unfriendly" and the "tall Williams sisters".

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Good thread Fon. It will be interesting to see the replies.

I suspect it'll generally be low numbers, but then again, I think many general sports fans would struggle to name 10 active ATP players.
Is it that interesting? Why is tennis the only sport where supposedly hardcore fans obsess over what casual fans know or think? Why do people like fongoeswest act as though the sport lives and dies by what people who don't care about it think? I'm so bored of TF's obsession with marketability and mainstream appeal. Does it appeal to YOU, is the question, and if not then no one's forcing you to keep watching it.

Football fans don't care which footballers I've heard of (I don't follow it at all).

I follow athletics, gymnastics and golf in an extremely casual way but I don't see fans of those sports caring which of their athletes I've heard of.

The answers are all exactly what you expect with minor variance between countries, anyway. Why is it interesting to reiterate that Serena, Venus and Sharapova are the best known names in women's tennis? They're the ones that friends with zero interest in tennis could name. Some more casual fans could probably name Osaka, Konta, Watson, Andreescu, Gauff, but it's pretty random - if you don't really follow the sport but happen to have the TV on during Wimbledon when a Hsieh match is on, you'll remember her even if you don't know most top 20 players.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
They know Serena, Venus and Sharapova.

To my dad, every tall blonde player is Sharapova and every black player is Serena or Venus. Until I tell him otherwise.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 55 Posts