Tennis Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
811 Posts
Footwork is not something excel at just at your peak, for a couple of months.

Not everything is about peaks and primes.
Thank you for your generosity, blessing us with wisdom when we most need it.

Interestingly there was no "peak" or "prime" in my post. I mentioned Sharapova in a 2 year span, not two months. Even for the untrained eye, Sharapova was out of position numerous times later in her career and going for risky shots that she often missed. Her footwork most definitely disintegrated. A big contrast with the player who won 2006 USO hitting winners from everywhere on the court.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Graf without a doubt. I’m sure you‘ve all seen that You Tube video of her footwork when practicing - and she was in her 40s at the time!
Dementieva was also great with her footwork. Also used her legs to give power and consistency to her shots (apart from the serve, obviously!)
Of the current players, the most athletic players like Halep, Svitolina and maybe Swiatek don’t leap out as amazing footwork but more general good movers.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
Emma's footwork was beautiful during her US Open run, and has proven to be very adaptable by easily setting up for forehand slices and drives on impulse

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Serena.
Just kidding.
Steffi from back in the day. Giorgi and Simona from this era.

·
Registered
118,175 Posts
Stephens makes it look like she is not even trying, almost effortless
Ask Arina Rodionova

·
Art & Futures
23,984 Posts
Reactions: mauresmofan

·
Art & Futures
23,984 Posts
Reactions: bobito

·
Registered
16,792 Posts
Lindsay Davenport, slow as hell but always picked the right footwork for the ball that she was getting and what she wanted to hit

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I forgot old timer .... what about Evonne Goolagong floating around the court like a piece of paper in the breeze. (Chris Evert said she used to stop playing and just watch her)
Add Maria Bueno to that list of gorgeous old-timey movers.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The Japanese and Chinese players tend to have wonderful footwork (Li, Zheng Jie, Sugiyama, etc.).

41 - 59 of 59 Posts