22,887 Posts
probably you @Perun

upload a video and we can find out

• Haha
Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
Polona Hercog and Johanna Larsson moved so gracefully on clay. Their Båstad final was beautiful.

Na Li had exceptional footwork. Wozniacki too. Jankovic.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
17,171 Posts
All my faves come to mind. Justine Henin, Li Na, Elena Dementieva. Players with exceptional footwork. I honestly love players that glide around the court, making it seem effortless at times.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Wozniacki deserves more of a mention here. Her footwork was probably the most impressive part of her game and her strongest attribute. She was always taking those mini steps - no ball was too awkward for her. Her footwork also allowed her to take a beating on her forehand wing - she could never hit through a forehand properly but you could never stretch her or put her out of position on that wing either - she was so strong, and her feet were always moving.

·
Registered
16,575 Posts
Wozniacki deserves more of a mention here. Her footwork was probably the most impressive part of her game and her strongest attribute. She was always taking those mini steps - no ball was too awkward for her. Her footwork also allowed her to take a beating on her forehand wing - she could never hit through a forehand properly but you could never stretch her or put her out of position on that wing either - she was so strong, and her feet were always moving.
wozniacki never felt like a "light" mover to me to be honest. but her anticipation was unbelievable, she read her opponents so well. you're totally right on the fitness too

like i always thought wozniacki's feet could be quite heavy when chasing down drop shots for example. compared to someone like JJ who seemed to effortlessly move into those shots and on the run

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
wozniacki never felt like a "light" mover to me to be honest. but her anticipation was unbelievable, she read her opponents so well. you're totally right on the fitness too

like i always thought wozniacki's feet could be quite heavy when chasing down drop shots for example. compared to someone like JJ who seemed to effortlessly move into those shots and on the run
I see your point, in certain movements she was not so light on her feet but relied on her anticipation more so. Drop shots are a good example.
Compared to Graf running up to a drop shot - it was like she had wings.

·
Registered
16,575 Posts
I see your point, in certain movements she was not so light on her feet but relied on her anticipation more so. Drop shots are a good example.
Compared to Graf running up to a drop shot - it was like she had wings.
another thing is that wozniacki seem to make a decision early on in her career that she would not slide on HC, even though i think she had strong enough legs to do so. maybe that's why she was able to play that type of tennis for as long as she did.

Reactions: V.Melb

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Beautiful footwork and light on your feet means taking more steps and shorter strides to get to a ball?

Just wondering, is one better than the other? A lot of the best movers take long strides.

·
Registered
16,575 Posts
Beautiful footwork and light on your feet means taking more steps and shorter strides to get to a ball?

Just wondering, is one better than the other? A lot of the best movers take long strides.
you take long strides to chase down the ball, and short steps to set up your shot. the most beautiful movers are the most efficient at both. for example, WS in the early career were extremely good at the former but could be clunky at the latter.

the reason why players that know how to slide into the ball on HC look so effortless is because it's less steps to get to the ball. the most prolific slider, djoko, pretty much can take two steps and can cover half the court lol.

·
Art & Futures
22,887 Posts
footwork... hingis was unbeatable imo

kind of lazy though with her fitness compared to this era

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Hingis and Evert were exceptional movers without seeming to be exceptional movers. Their footwork in particular was the pinnacle of their athleticism. Virtually never out of position, virtually never off balance, virtually never flat footed.

·
Registered
37,425 Posts
Su-Wei. And peak Lady Aga. Both appear so effortless, like they're not even moving their feet, just gliding around.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Hingis learned perfect footwork by playing on football shoes when she was a kid. Was that trick that ever used by other players?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hingis, she was like a dancer on court.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Hingis and Evert were exceptional movers without seeming to be exceptional movers. Their footwork in particular was the pinnacle of their athleticism. Virtually never out of position, virtually never off balance, virtually never flat footed.
Thank you for clearly articulating what I could not.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Perhaps “less obvious” choices are Davenport and Sharapova 04-06. They weren’t athletic but their footwork incredibly precise. Davenport especially as long as she had time she was rarely out of position and it’s as efficient as it can be.

·
Registered
17,803 Posts
Perhaps “less obvious” choices are Davenport and Sharapova 04-06. They weren’t athletic but their footwork incredibly precise. Davenport especially as long as she had time she was rarely out of position and it’s as efficient as it can be.
Footwork is not something excel at just at your peak, for a couple of months.

Not everything is about peaks and primes.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts