• None

Votes: 6 7.3%

• Total voters
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
32,504 Posts
Dayana and here's why:

She obviously has the game that can translate to any surface. She is looking for a coach that will suit her ranking as she gets higher and higher.

To what breadstal said about consistency: she's still only 19. Every match is a learning experience for her. The right coach will point out how to translate matches like the Pliskova win in Wuhan to her game full-time. It will be an interesting choice. I'll leave it there.

As far her mentality and the nonsense goldenlox said: if you go to YouTube and find Dayana's TenniStory, you'll see and hear her say "I want to be a legend. I want to start winning Grand Slams next year." That is like when Osaka was asked on-court about playing Serena in the final at the Open and she said "I want to play her". That tells me she is ready. Same with Dayana if she can get there.

It's a very minor thing, but after she wins points, she gets the ball back and has a bit of swag about her. The ingredients are there. All Dayana needs is the right coach and she will be on her way.
In my view that would be a good reason for why Dayana is not likely to make a Grand Slam final next year. Osaka and Andreescu both reached Slam finals (and won them) before their 21st birthdays. But these days that is still very much the exception and not the rule. The majority of players attain their 1st slam final well past their 21st birthdays.

·
Registered
21,677 Posts
In my view that would be a good reason for why Dayana is not likely to make a Grand Slam final next year. Osaka and Andreescu both reached Slam finals (and won them) before their 21st birthdays. But these days that is still very much the exception and not the rule. The majority of players attain their 1st slam final well past their 21st birthdays.
Except for the fact that you're dealing with someone who is very special.

·
32,504 Posts
Except for the fact that you're dealing with someone who is very special.
We will just have to wait and see. I appreciate Dayana has quite a bit going for her. I do think she has a lot of mental focus as well. I still think it is unlikely she is ready and it might actually be better for her in the long run if such a breakthrough came a bit later in her career anyway.

·
Registered
21,677 Posts
We will just have to wait and see. I appreciate Dayana has quite a bit going for her. I do think she has a lot of mental focus as well. I still think it is unlikely she is ready and it might actually be better for her in the long run if such a breakthrough came a bit later in her career anyway.
She'll be losing time to Andreescu, Anisimova, Osaka, etc. and, with her talent, all she needs the right coach. There's also something special about being a teenager and doing things: Junior Wimbledon final at 16, QF in her pro debut at 17, first title at 18, another title plus her first R16 at a major (which should have been no worse than a QF and maybe even a SF) at 19. She obviously has 5 more months plus 2 more tournaments this year to add to that and 20 is not old by any means, but if she has the career I and others think she could and should have, doing big things in her teens would only add to her legacy. As Dayana herself said: "I want to be a legend. I want to win a Slam in 2020."

·
32,504 Posts
She'll be losing time to Andreescu, Anisimova, Osaka, etc. and, with her talent, all she needs the right coach. There's also something special about being a teenager and doing things: Junior Wimbledon final at 16, QF in her pro debut at 17, first title at 18, another title plus her first R16 at a major (which should have been no worse than a QF and maybe even a SF) at 19. She obviously has 5 more months plus 2 more tournaments this year to add to that and 20 is not old by any means, but if she has the career I and others think she could and should have, doing big things in her teens would only add to her legacy. As Dayana herself said: "I want to be a legend. I want to win a Slam in 2020."
No. I just don't go along with this stuff. Sorry. This "a player needs to start winning big in their teens" thinking is so 1990s. It just doesn't hold water in modern day tennis.

·
Registered
21,677 Posts
No. I just don't go along with this stuff. Sorry. This "a player needs to start winning big in their teens" thinking is so 1990s. It just doesn't hold water in modern day tennis.
And that is part of my reasoning: to do something that no one but Andreescu has done since the 1990's (consistently) makes it all the more special. As long as Dayana wins the Slams and becomes what she said, I don't care when she does it. It's just you pointed out her age as a drawback, which has actually evolved into a nice discussion.

·
32,504 Posts
And that is part of my reasoning: to do something that no one but Andreescu has done since the 1990's (consistently) makes it all the more special. As long as Dayana wins the Slams and becomes what she said, I don't care when she does it. It's just you pointed out her age as a drawback, which has actually evolved into a nice discussion.
Yeah but the other recent young player to break through to win her 1st Grand Slam at a very young age was Ostapenko. Look where that has gotten her. I just don't think winning one's 1st slam at a young age necessarily augers super-stardom. I actually think it can often be a hindrance to further development.

Additionally as an extremely attractive woman, winning a Grand Slam at such a young age would impose a level of attention on her that I believe does come with a lot of risk. This is especially true in our age of social media. One hopes for the best for all young players but the risk of her achieving big success before she is ready for it is real and one wouldn't want her career to go the way of Kournikova or Bouchard, two players of considerable talent who became distracted by the media attention they received.

To give you an example of my perspective on young players having success, I'm a fan of another Ukrainian youngster, Marta Kostyuk. I like her game a lot. And I will tell you this right now, I don't want to see her cracking the top 100 for at least another year and if it takes a little longer than that, I'm good with that too. I want to see her have a really good extended long career full of success. I don't want to see her becoming hugely successful as a teen and then burning out. That is absolutely the last thing I want and it is the one thing that I worry about with her, consequently even though I like her a lot I am actually paradoxically kind of relieved when she loses. :eek:h: Don't get me wrong, I want her to have a great career. But I'm patient and in my view she has the talent, I believe in her and there is absolutely no rush. :)

·
Registered
21,677 Posts
Yeah but the other recent young player to break through to win her 1st Grand Slam at a very young age was Ostapenko. Look where that has gotten her. I just don't think winning one's 1st slam at a young age necessarily augers super-stardom. I actually think it can often be a hindrance to further development.

Additionally as an extremely attractive woman, winning a Grand Slam at such a young age would impose a level of attention on her that I believe does come with a lot of risk. This is especially true in our age of social media. One hope for the best for all young players but the risk of her achieving big success before she is ready for it is real and one wouldn't want her career to go the way of Kournikova or Bouchard, two players of considerable talent who became distracted by the media attention they received.

To give you an example of my perspective on young players having success, I'm a fan of another Ukrainian youngster, Marta Kostyuk. I like her game a lot. And I will tell you this right now, I don't want to see her cracking the top 100 for at least another year and if it takes a little longer than that, I'm good with that too. I want to see her have a really good extended long career full of success. I don't want to see her becoming hugely successful as a teen and then burning out. That is absolutely the last thing I want and it is the one thing that I worry about with her, consequently even though I like her a lot I am actually paradoxically kind of relieved when she loses. :eek:h: Don't get me wrong, I want her to have a great career. But I'm patient and in my view she has the talent, I believe in her and there is absolutely no rush. :)
I like Marta, too. She already had her mini-breakthrough in Melbourne in 2018, but yeah she has not had the success we thought she would and is struggling right now.

I wonder what changed from the 1990's to now: the technology, the power, the age restrictions. All of it?

I can't disagree with anything you said about Dayana, but she'd be fine. Trust me. I know that for a fact ;)

·
32,504 Posts
I like Marta, too. She already had her mini-breakthrough in Melbourne in 2018, but yeah she has not had the success we thought she would and is struggling right now.

I wonder what changed from the 1990's to now: the technology, the power, the age restrictions. All of it?

I can't disagree with anything you said about Dayana, but she'd be fine. Trust me. I know that for a fact ;)
I'd say the standard is simply a lot higher. Essentially the difference is all the girls on the tour now are physically fitter and stronger. Twenty years ago the top players would travel with a coach. Now they travel with an entourage who look after all aspects of their physical and mental condition as well as their playing level.

A girl of 18 might have the skill to compete at WTA level but most of the time they don't have the physical or mental strength to play at that level on a week by week basis. Hence when we do see a young player break through at an early age they tend to get pegged back within the next year or two. Sometimes that is because of injury and sometimes it is because the pressure of the tour is too much for them at that age. Bottom line is that it is tough going at WTA level and for a teen the physical and mental demands are often more than their bodies and minds can handle.

Some players like Vekic and Bencic will work their way back up the rankings after a period outside the top 100, but many others never recapture the form they showed as a teen. And yes, a few teens will break through early and make it to their early 20s unscathed. But they are the lucky ones. Breaking into the big leagues as a teen is risky business these days.

I think Ashleigh Barty is a good example of a player who saved her career by taking a couple of years off the tour when she was still very young and not ready for the rigours of the WTA tour, certain not in singles at least (which is more physical and mentally demanding). Had she not done so, I am sure she wouldn't be where she is today.

·
Registered
21,677 Posts
I'd say the standard is simply a lot higher. Essentially the difference is all the girls on the tour now are physically fitter and stronger. Twenty years ago the top players would travel with a coach. Now they travel with an entourage who look after all aspects of their physical and mental condition as well as their playing level.

A girl of 18 might have the skill to compete at WTA level but most of the time they don't have the physical or mental strength to play at that level on a week by week basis. Hence when we do see a young player break through at an early age they tend to get pegged back within the next year or two. Sometimes that is because of injury and sometimes it is because the pressure of the tour is too much for them at that age. Bottom line is that it is top at WTA level and for a teen the physical and mental demands are often more than their bodies and minds can handle.

Some players like Vekic and Bencic will work their way back up the rankings after a period outside the top 100, but many others never recapture the form they showed as a teen. And yes, a few teens will break through early and make it to their early 20s unscathed. But they are the lucky ones. Breaking into the big leagues as a teen is risky business these days.

I think Ashleigh Barty is a good example of a player who saved her career by taking a couple of years off the tour when she was still very young and not ready for the rigours of the WTA tour, certain not in singles at least (which is more physical and mentally demanding). Had she not done so, I am sure she wouldn't be where she is today.
As you even said, Dayana has a lot of mental focus and strength, which is why I said all she needs is a proper coach and to get physically stronger to start winning Slams.

·
Registered
21,677 Posts
I'm just saying Rome wasn't built in a day and there is no rush.
I get the feeling we could debate this all day :lol:, although it has been interesting.

·
Registered
928 Posts
assuming this is singles

Kontaveit - Sevastova - Goerges - Garcia

sometimes you have to think outside the box :)

Garcia can fluctuate bewteen mental giant to mental midget is a short space of time, but mental giant Garcia can take on and beat anyone.

all of them have average to poor slam results on the whole, but anyone really can make a run.

If I had to say one, Sevastova probably at the US Open, at the grand old age of 30.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts