41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
34,884 Posts

·
Registered
16,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Winning the Sunshine Double wasn’t enough US hardcourt proof for you?

ETA: I guess the USO courts are faster than IW and Miami. But she's still got hardcourt game for sure.
USOpen courts are indeed faster, that's why I didn't mention the sunshine double.
Plus players like Andreescu, Serena, Raducanu and Osaka usually peak on faster surfaces, so it will be a lot harder for Iga in the upcoming weeks.

·
Bianca did an interview today where she said Iga's dominance has inspired her to work hard to be better than her, an attitude which I think sets her apart because I genuinely don't believe some players in top 10 think that way. So I think Bianca will be much more of a factor in 2nd half of season, it looks like she is heading into that direction anyway.

·
Registered
16,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Bianca did an interview today where she said Iga's dominance has inspired her to work hard to be better than her, an attitude which I think sets her apart because I genuinely don't believe some players in top 10 think that way. So I think Bianca will be much more of a factor in 2nd half of season, it looks like she is heading into that direction anyway.
Tbh I think Bianca is the best player on these surfaces when interested, healthy and fit so this is good news.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
USOpen courts are indeed faster, that's why I didn't mention the sunshine double.
Plus players like Andreescu, Serena, Raducanu and Osaka usually peak on faster surfaces, so it will be a lot harder for Iga in the upcoming weeks.
yet she completely overpowered.. hit off the court the best of the field on the fastest courts we've seen this year there in Doha.

I mean her average ball speed is nearly 10 mph faster than Osaka..

a fast court is more to Iga's advantage than anyone's much less any disadvantage to her.

I'm actually surprised more people havent' realized that and cling to the notion that slow courts are where Iga's NEW tactics and aggressiveness play best.

it is on fast courts as she is the biggest hitter on tour.. but with margin and the most important thing. Patience and using her brain.. not brainlessly or impatiently bashing and overhitting herself out of a match.

Reactions: Perun

·
Art & Futures
26,135 Posts
no one.

maybe swiatek but I doubt it. she's likely to be the best player but i don't think she'll dominate like she did earlier.

i think we will see another dominant or at least highly impressive performance from someone during indoor season. Someone who wasn't on the radar much during the rest of the year. that seems to be a recurring trend lately

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Nobody will dominate

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
I take issue with you suggesting that Andreescu and Raducanu “usually” peak on faster surfaces. We saw Bianca have a brief moment of winning the Canadian open followed by the USO and Raducanu has one deep run at a big tournament. They haven’t done much outside of those brief stretches on fast courts. It seems a bit weird to mention them with players like Serena and Osaka in that regard.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
No one???

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
One option missing from the poll is "no one will dominate".
An obvious remark. Having a clear dominator is not a common state of affairs in WTA. The first half of this season was dominated by Iga, but before? Was Ash dominant? Not in 2021 - during that season she won just one major plus two WTA1000's. After AusOpen 2022 she seemed to have ascended the dominant status - but it turned out soon that AO was her last performance in the tour... so it was kind of abortive dominance.
Actually, the option "no one will dominate" seems to me the most likely one.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts