Registered
19,426 Posts
It used to be Jennifer Capriati....
Now i say Serena Williams...
Both girls r just too mentally strong, compared to the other girls on tour

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Depends on if you mean who does it the most or who does it when it matters most...but I've noticed that Daniela comes back from breaks down in third sets like every match lol (well her matches before she gets thrashed by Kim, Alyona ect :sad: )

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Jennifer mentally strong? Since when? Yeah, she has won some majors...but she has also choked a lot. Also, she tends to lose her 3-set matches, which is not a sign of mental strength.

I don't really follow this stat to say, but I am sure the top players are best. Serena has already come back a few times this year (twice at the Australian), but has also lost in the 3rd set a few times in the past year (to Chanda and to Amelie).

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kournikovafan13 said:
Depends on if you mean who does it the most or who does it when it matters most...but I've noticed that Daniela comes back from breaks down in third sets like every match lol (well her matches before she gets thrashed by Kim, Alyona ect :sad: )
Yeah, Dani and her 3-setters! LOL!

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I'd have to say Venus...

Especially with her comeback against Martina in the US semis '00 nad her amazing comeback in the Amelia Island '02 final where she was down 2-6 0-4 0-40 in a match against Justine and cam back.

She just has the belief she can win, and the mental toughness to play the big points better. That was the key to her success in '00 and '01.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I'd have to say Venus as well. She seems to get into these tight situations (way too often for my liking) and then when you've almost given up, she comes back with some thrilling win. Too much for my heart to handle (I'm especially thinking about AI last year against Justine).

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
vs1 said:
I'd have to say Venus as well. She seems to get into these tight situations (way too often for my liking) and then when you've almost given up, she comes back with some thrilling win. Too much for my heart to handle (I'm especially thinking about AI last year against Justine).

venus here as well. She's done it so many times and makes it look easy at times. Sure, serena's the better player, IMO, however Venus has just done a better job in the past.

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Venus seems to do a comeback every year.

99--Grand Slam Cup: was down 4-1 in the 3rd against Hingis, to win 6-2 6-7 9-7

00--US Open: was down 5-3 in the 3rd to Hingis, to win 4-6 6-3 7-5

01--Ericsson Open: was down 8 match points to Capriati to win 4-6 6-1 7-6

02--Amelia Island: was down 6-2 4-0; 15-40 to Henin, to win 2-6 7-5 7-6

03--Hasn't happened....yet ;)

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
you guys! OMG Jennifer is deffinetly the best at coming back...isnt she the "
comeback queen"??? last time i checked she still wore that crown! but i agree there are a lot of good comeback players...thats why there so good! BUT when it comes down to it...Jennifer made the biggest comeback of all time as far as tennis is concerned...im sorry but thats the way it is....(this is the only subject i will REFUSE to comprimise on) even though Jennifer is certainly nmot the best player on tour she has the best comeback storie of all and she also makes GREAT comebacks in matches

Reactions: JCAP

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
monica.
she was one of the mentally toughest player ever probarly the best in that category and she still once in a while proves that she still deserves that title

that combined with the greatest comeback in tennis history (and I don't compromise on that either;)) of course.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
I think Venus is the comeback queen, but Serena has one of the mosr impressive comebacks against Davenport in '98, she was down 6-1 5-2 15-40 and came back to win 1-6 7-5 7-5. Also the AO 2003 against Clijsters wasn't too shabby either. Rubin also had a pretty good comeback at the '95 FO trailed 7-6 4-6 0-5 0-40 in the third set and came back to win 8-6 in the third saving 9 match points against Jana Novotna.

·
Registered
15,026 Posts
Yeah have to agree with Venus, and Serena, especially after OZ against Kim this year :D
Chanda too of course has had her fair share, especially the Novotna match at RG 1995, but she hasn't had an amazing comeback in one single match for a while, although you could count her return to the top after injury as a great comeback! ;) :p

·
Registered
9,981 Posts
I would say Anastasia Myskina is strong at coming back. She wins quite a lot 3-setter match:)

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Monica without a doubt...Can anyone forget the best comeback ever?

Then of course there's the six match points she saved against Serena...

Then the SEVEN she saved against Davenport...

And these are just the most recent of many other great comebacks!

·
Registered
14,809 Posts
martina does have several meltdowns from time to time but she's had a few comebacks too. unfortunately, most of her comebacks dont culminate in her winning the match.

98USO down a set and 2-4 against lindsay. goes up 5-4 but loses in straight sets.

99USO down a set and 3-5 15-40. fights back to get a set point at 6-5. lost after that in a tiebreak.

99Grandslamcup was down 2-6 2-4 to venus. forces a tiebreak in second set, wins it and gets 4-1 lead in the third. loses 9-7

00AO Open. down 1-6 1-5 15-30. levels second set at 5-5 before losing.

00RG down a set and 4-5 with pierce serving for match. takes second set 7-5 before losing in third set 6-2.

01AO Open. down 0-4, then 2-5 in QF match against serena. comes back to win it 8-6

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Serena
Kim
J.Cap
Rubin (who remeber 0-6 0-40 down!!!0

·
Registered
14,809 Posts
oops realised i havent answered the thread

best at it is monica i think
kim and jennifer are good too, but they've had opponents comeback against them too

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
12,062 Posts
I'd say Venus, followed closely by Serena. It's like it's the girl's sole undertaking to give me heartattacks, but she comes back :hearts:.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I say Venus and Serena giving the edge to Venus, she always seem to be making a comeback.....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts