Tennis Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

What got me to thinking about this question has to do with the article below. I mean - I for one have been saying for years that Martina H. needed to come back - but this writer has written off all of her old nemisis's. Is he right?

For instance, Serena is one of Momo's nemisis and along w/Lindsay. Serena is Kim's until Kim gets a chance to pummel her ova and ova.

Justine can be considered Maria's nemisis (Among many others) - but Venus can still be considered hers until she beats her consistently.

Before Martina quit the tour for a while - she had quite a few nemisis's - of whom she used to routinely beat - until they caught up to her. Even Justine didn't for all intents and purposes own Martina before she took a leave of absence.

I am not talking about rivals here - where their records nearly match by now or some have started to turn the tables on players that used to beat them routinely (Or have their number - sort of speak) - like when Elena finally beat Serena in hong Kong. I am actually talking about players that for the most part could be considered, if not only in a specific player's mind - their nemisis.

I'd say Venus is Mary's at this point. Some could argue that Serena was Venus's - but now that Venus has won the last two - there goes that head to head again. I am not talking about those kind of rivals. I am talking about one's true nemisis and pain in the asterisk.

Of course, when considering this question - we have to look at the head to heads and deduce that - when players are playing their best and are all the way on in any given match - whom totally stacks up better against whom? I wouldn't call Kim Justine's or Justine Kim's nemisis because of the head to head. I would call their matches a rilvary and the proof is in the pudding.

And before Jennifer had to opt out for surgery - Venus had her pegged.

And to be honest - one of you experts out there at the ready - could you please list all of Martina's losses in her last full year on the tour. I bet it wasn't no more than 10.

We often thro' out head to head records - but for all us us tennis lovers and savvy analysts of the game - who do we think in two years will still be a thorn in each others' sides? LOL!

For instance Nabandian (SP?) still can be considered a pain in the rear for Roger. Right? And Roger wins the award for being most player's nemisis. Surely - some of the ATP players have considered putting that jock itch cream thingly in his shorts. LOL!

Otherwise - the toppers are pretty even Steven. On any given day - I always say.

http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=65991&section=sports

http://usopentennis.bloggerteam.com/entry.php?u=usopentennis&e_id=641

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1 - 2 of 2 Posts