Tennis Forum banner

Which Player has the Toughest Round 3 Opponent?

• Justine Henin (28 - Mara Santangelo)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Maria Sharapova (Q - Alla Kudryavtseva)

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Svetlana Kuznetsova (Q - Dominika Cibulkova)

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Jelena Jankovic (26 - Venus Williams)

Votes: 110 66.3%
  • Amelie Mauresmo(25 - Lucie Safarova)

Votes: 37 22.3%
  • Nicole Vaidisova (27 - Samantha Stosur)

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Ana Ivanovic (Q - Ioana Raluca Olaru)

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Serena Williams (Michaella Krajicek)

Votes: 4 2.4%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of the Top 8 Seeds at this year's french open, which has the Toughest match in the 3rd Round?

* Kuznetsova v Shaughnessy not finished, but Kuznetsova 4-1 up in second set having won the first, assuming she makes it through!

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
nothings harder than playing an opponent who is a 5 time grandslam champion, high in confidence and moving great...

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes that is when Venus is playing great! However she is known for being very erratic and on a bad day lose to anybody! If she hits another record serve she will lose her concentration again!

·
Black tea with rum
24,256 Posts
On paper it's definately JJ, but going with current form I'd pick Lucie Safarova for Amelie Mauresmo, it's the most likely surprise.
I really hope Olaru can prove to be a tricky opponent for Ana as well, but she's still very young, so she has pleanty of time to get better even if she loses tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Venus Williams Appreciation Thread.

Also, Safarova could be dangerous to Mauresmo. Santangelo, Stosur and Krajicek are worthy opponents, but I'd be shocked if they gave their respective TOP8 seeds a very tough time, let alone cause an upset. I never even heard about the other three. Ok, Cibulkova and I guess I'd seen that Romanian name before in the juniors draw, but never saw them.

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
remember you also have to take into account the actual player and how their game may not be suited to their opponent or if they have a mental disadvantage against their particular opponent...this is not just a poll about who is the best out of the 8 players!

for example...
Venus may be the least tough opponent specifically for JJ if she had a 0-20 h2h against her and her game was one which Jankovic loved to play against and Jankovic mentally had an edge over Venus

Kudryavtseva may be the most tough opponent specifically for Masha if she had a 20-0 h2h against her and mentally she believed Sharapova could not beat her and Sharapova couldn't cope with the type of game Kudryavtseva had!

·
Registered
11,582 Posts
From Most Difficult to Least Difficult:

Jankovic v. Willaims
Mauresmo v. Safarova
Henin v. Santangelo
Vaidisova v. Stosur
Williams v. Krajicek
Ivanovic v. Olaru
Kuznetsova v. Cibulkova (I would love her to win, but it isn't going to happen)
Sharapova v. Kudryavtseva

·
Art & Futures
20,925 Posts
what an obvious answer to the poll :rolleyes:

people who choose someone else besides jelena & venus are just trying to be defiant.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts