Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mauresmo captured the Aus Open--a bit of a surprise to everyone. Will all the defending champs fall just like in 2005?

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
Henin and Venus has a great shot to defend...thats about it

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry see poll also posted.

·
Registered
47,734 Posts
I personally don't think any of them will defend, except for Kim, maybe. I have a feeling either Martina or Amelie will win the French. And I don't think Venus will be able to pull herself together for another two weeks to defend her Wimbledon Title.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hmm, I think Kim is able to defend her title at New York, as well as Henin in Paris.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Its too hard to tell, honestly.

Game wise, Venus and Henin are the best on grass and Clay respectfully, but that doesn't mean they'll win Wimbledon and RG this year again.

·
Registered
9,772 Posts
I think that Henin has a great possibility to defend again.

I DO see Venus defeding Wimbledon. She is the best on grass, it suites her game so much.

Kim, she may defend, but I find it not as likely as Venus or Henin.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
hard to tell...
for Roland Garros, i think Justine's biggest threat are Amelie and Hingis. And let's not forget about Serena whom no one is sure in what form she will be coming back.
for Wimby, I doubt Venus will defend, because everyone seems to play well at Wimby.
Same for USOpen, everyone has a shot at the title, and everything basically depends on whom will play the best/be luckier.

·
Registered
24,266 Posts
i'm interested to see where henin goes from where she is (that is, after that aus open spectacle). she's the best claycourter of this age, and the other people to look out for are martina and mauresmo.

venus at wimbledon? i really don't see it happening. i don't see her pulling it all together for two weeks again. she's got the game sure, but there are just too many prinkova's out there. if venus's level can change so drastically on a slow court, imagine how inconsistent the ups and downs will be on a fast court where the ball is more difficult to time. still, she will probably be a top 2/top 3 favorite to win because of what she's able to make happen. her competition will probably be mauresmo, sharapova, and davenport.

kim is the hardest player to beat on hardcourts when she's playing well, imo. too many balls come back, and she doesn't give an inch when she has the chance to be aggressive, either. she's gotta look out for maria, venus, and davenport here. oh, and perhaps hingis.

overall i think justine has the best shot. she played like 2 or 3 good matches last year and won with ease (other than the kuznesova match). she's healthier this year 9or is she?) so she'll really be a tough nut to crack on the dirt.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
faboozadoo15 said:
sorry, there is another thread with a poll, which i meant originally.

·
Banned
7,113 Posts
Knizzle said:
Venus I think, she's the only one of them that has ever defended a slam and she's done it twice and really loves Wimbledon.
thats right. :wavey:

·
Chionophile
40,070 Posts
1. Venus - sorry but on grass she rules and none of the top players even has a good grasscourt game.
2. Justine - depends on injuries and other things. And how Hingis and Mauresmo does on clay this year. RG seems to be three-horse race right now.
3. Kim - I doubt it. US Open is competitive and very open.

·
A Young Troubadour.
16,344 Posts
Venus i think has the best chance to defend and that is completely unbiased! Its her second home it seems and she always plays so well, Wimbledon might as well have Venus's pee all over it cause its her territory no doubt

Henin has def got the game to repeat but no way will the notorious french crowd support her after the Australian open unless she plays serena :rolleyes: but if she can pull it together mentally she is the for sure the top contender. But the French will be riding her ass all the way to the final

Clijsters is the least likely imo bec the US Open is suitable for most games and everyone always plays pretty well there. I dont see Clijsters being able to repeat such a remarkable 05 hardcourt season. But she'll def be deep in it as long as she's healthy

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I actually think Venus has the best chance. She is the best grasscourt player on tour @ the moment. Serena is good, but who knows if she'll even be there... Lindsay or Maria would be her biggest obstacles, but she beat both last year so why not again?

I do not think JHH will defend. RG is the toughest to defend IMO. I actually think now that Amelie has a GS, she may be on a huge roll & keep going. Hingis also will be tough on clay, as will Kim & possibly Kuznetsova if she shows up ready to play.

I don't think Kim will defend either. There are too many people who can show up and win on hardcourt on any given day as opposed to the FO & W. She might of course, but I think the odds are against her to defend.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I don't think any of them is going to defend. Venus has perhaps best chance, plenty of time till Wimbledon and get her game back on order, and she has always been supreme on grass. Belgians will just injure themselves again & be out of the picture... :(

·
Banned
9,219 Posts
Venus has a great chance to defend her title. She has an edge on almost everyone on grass and has great memories from which she can draw confidence. Serena could stand in her way, but Serena is still a doubt.

I don't think Kim will defend her title. I think she could easily make the Semi's or Final, but i think she can still get tense in there big matches, and high calibre players could very well take advantage.

I have my doubts as for Justine defending RG. I can see players like Venus, Mauresmo, Clijsters, or even Hingis taking her out - even if it's on her best surface. Her phsyical health is also a question mark i think. I don't think she is the same player as in 2003.

That's what i think at the moment.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
faboozadoo15 said:
if venus's level can change so drastically on a slow court, imagine how inconsistent the ups and downs will be on a fast court where the ball is more difficult to time.
You couldn't be more wrong here, Venus plays better on faster surfaces and times the ball better on faster courts. Even the commentators make note of this. That's one of the reasons Venus is the best grass court player, great timing combined with relentless aggression and good athleticism. All the tools needed to be a great player on grass. And if you think her Wimbledon wins are flukey, check out her record at the US Open. Another fast surface, and she's been in the 2nd week 7 out of 8 times she's played the event.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts