Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not Serena, she is the defending champ, and she has the best chance for Grand Slam in years. She might not have another suchy a chance..

Not Justine, because, she was declared the best claycourt player and
if she is to make a statement about being a Top contender, it is this tournament.

Not Kim, who is seeded at #2, has a good shot at #1 with next month and a half, and is expected to do well.

Not Amelie, naturally, because being a favourite and playing at home is always a pressure.

So, from realistic title contenders it leaves us with two players - Venus and Capriati. Neither comes into this tournament with much of expectations. If it was not for a fact that they are drawn to play each other in QFs, I would expect both to do really well and reach semis at least. But that was not to be..

·
Banned
8,642 Posts
good thread title--- i agree, i think both Venus & Cappy, although they might be putting pressure on themselves a bit because they haven't been performing up to standards lately but i think because of that, they are not being named to win, so....the ones with the most pressure imo, are the ones that everyone is expecting or hoping to win and then their own pressure..

·
***** Emeritus
42,276 Posts
I think Davenport, but maybe you don't see her as a favourite?

·
***** Emeritus
42,276 Posts
And if Venus gets through the first matches, pressure will be on her too I think...

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
nah.....I think Justine is the most pressure free at this point....everyone is still considering her as the "other" Belgian, after Kim, and Kim has more pressure then Justine....Serena has the pressure because she has not been as impressive on clay this year as she has been everywhere else....her only two loses have been on clay....so she has to prove she can keep up the dominance....Venus will DEFINITELY be the most pressured....With everyone talking about her devoting time to her business and her recent injuries, not to mention her almost non-existant play this year, people are wondering if she's still a real contender, or if she's just giving everything to her sister on a silver platter?

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
I think Lindsay Davenport has the least amount of pressure on her because she has the least amount of expectations on her. Clay has always been her worst surface, she took time off for her wedding, and she reinjured her hamstring while "practicing" (which is apparently a new euphemism for "consummating your nuptials"). Serena (defending champion, possible Grand Slam), Venus (Grand Slam finals streak, un-Venus-like year so far) and Mauresmo (home country favorite) by far have the most pressure on them.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I agree also with Davenport being the one with the least pressure in the top10. For several reasons:
1- nobody expects her to win it
2- she has no points to defend
3- she said in Amelia Island, she was playing for the fun of it and had no expectations at all, after having not played on clay for almost 3 years
4- she has a good draw, facing a slumping Dokic in the 4th round ... very good chance to make at least the QF!

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Venus because Davenport is not a favorite.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Probably Venus, Davenport, and Cappy...especially venus because no one expects her to do well anyways, just like at the australian open, which is good considering how far she got there...

·
Banned
303 Posts
PRESSURE COOKER:

1)SERENA - the most
2)VENUS - right behind little sis
3)KIM - second seed needs to justify her rank
4)JENNIFER - needs to serve notice to the top 5 that she is not fading away
5)AMELIE - needs to satisfy the French fans
6)JUSTINE - needs to make god of her talent and beat those top players at the Slams consistently
7)LINDSAY - doesn't care

1)Serena has number one player pressure. She is the hunted, and this clay court season it is showing.

2)Kim will be expected to step it up now. She has made it to the finals at the French before, so her goal is to do one better and beat a Williams sister at a Grand Slam. She needs to be flawless and retrieve well against anyone in the top 7.

3)Venus has pressure to maintain the Williamses' dominance. She has to reach at least the final. Her year has not been mediocre as some have suggested. She played a great Australian Open and proved that Serena is not light years away from her. She won Antwerp very handily, cruising by Clijsters 6-2,6-4 and Hantuchova 6-1,6-4. I think she is bored. She has beaten Clijsters, Henin, Mauresmo, Capriati, Davenport time and time again over the past few seasons. I don't think beating Serena excites her, but the Australian Open was a great match. I would love to see Venus put it on the line and come through with a win over Serena. The only thing Venus really needs is to complete her resume with the less renown Grand Slam titles. She has Olympic Gold, Wimbledons, US OPENS, several mixed and women's doubles Grand Slam titles, and the number one ranking.

4)Henin has had an excellent clay-court season, and she better fulfill the promise she has shown. She was favored to do a lot of damage last year, but she was ill. This year her stock is even higher. She has had some very impressive victories against Capriati, Seles, S. Williams, Mauresmo, and Clijsters meaning she is my choice to win it all.

5)Mauresmo seemingly came into form at Rome. She could reach a third straight Grand Slam semifinal here. I think she will handle this French Open better than ever. Last year, she had a clear road to the Semifinals. This time I think she will lay it all out in a QF clash with Serena.

6)Davenport has no pressure, and probably cares little about going deep into the tournament. She has achieved more than anyone thought she could in tennis. Not having a French Open title hurts Martina Hingis more than Lindsay Davenport.

7)Jennifer needs to come up with a few big wins over the next couple of months otherwise, she may be on her way out. The Belgians are younger and serve better. Without a good serve, we may have seen as far as Jen can go on her groundstrokes.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
downtheline said:
PRESSURE COOKER:

1)SERENA - the most
2)VENUS - right behind little sis
3)KIM - second seed needs to justify her rank
4)JENNIFER - needs to serve notice to the top 5 that she is not fading away
5)AMELIE - needs to satisfy the French fans
6)JUSTINE - needs to make god of her talent and beat those top players at the Slams consistently
7)LINDSAY - doesn't care

1)Serena has number one player pressure. She is the hunted, and this clay court season it is showing.

2)Kim will be expected to step it up now. She has made it to the finals at the French before, so her goal is to do one better and beat a Williams sister at a Grand Slam. She needs to be flawless and retrieve well against anyone in the top 7.

3)Venus has pressure to maintain the Williamses' dominance. She has to reach at least the final. Her year has not been mediocre as some have suggested. She played a great Australian Open and proved that Serena is not light years away from her. She won Antwerp very handily, cruising by Clijsters 6-2,6-4 and Hantuchova 6-1,6-4. I think she is bored. She has beaten Clijsters, Henin, Mauresmo, Capriati, Davenport time and time again over the past few seasons. I don't think beating Serena excites her, but the Australian Open was a great match. I would love to see Venus put it on the line and come through with a win over Serena. The only thing Venus really needs is to complete her resume with the less renown Grand Slam titles. She has Olympic Gold, Wimbledons, US OPENS, several mixed and women's doubles Grand Slam titles, and the number one ranking.

4)Henin has had an excellent clay-court season, and she better fulfill the promise she has shown. She was favored to do a lot of damage last year, but she was ill. This year her stock is even higher. She has had some very impressive victories against Capriati, Seles, S. Williams, Mauresmo, and Clijsters meaning she is my choice to win it all.

5)Mauresmo seemingly came into form at Rome. She could reach a third straight Grand Slam semifinal here. I think she will handle this French Open better than ever. Last year, she had a clear road to the Semifinals. This time I think she will lay it all out in a QF clash with Serena.

6)Davenport has no pressure, and probably cares little about going deep into the tournament. She has achieved more than anyone thought she could in tennis. Not having a French Open title hurts Martina Hingis more than Lindsay Davenport.

7)Jennifer needs to come up with a few big wins over the next couple of months otherwise, she may be on her way out. The Belgians are younger and serve better. Without a good serve, we may have seen as far as Jen can go on her groundstrokes.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Yes serena has the most pressure. Duh. She is the defending champ. She holds all four slams. This is a no brainer.

Venus at two? Sorry. Everyone knows that venus has already been discounted and overlooked and forgotten ever since she lost in miami to meghan.

Justine comes in next because she has had the best results on clay. Then Kim and then amelie. Everyone thinks it will be an all belgian final and they are heavy favorites and thus have the pressure. Momo has the pressure and it undue her. She not even make it to the quarters to face serena.

Next up is venus and jen tied as least favorites with no pressure.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
i don't know but i feel that pressure is actually good for serena. i think she'll enter this event with winning in mind.

i think the one with the most pressure are the non-williams top players because much is expected from them due to the recent losses of the sisters.

·
Premium Member
20,736 Posts
I think Venus, Jennifer and Lindsay should feel the least pressured.

If we actually look at each of them, their results this year have actually been pretty good and consistent. Of course these days if you don't have a title apparently you will never win anything.

But in the end it's who handles the pressure the best that wins. I mean in OZ Serena was really feeling the pressure and it nearly cost her, but she came through.

So I guess we see who can do it here. :)

·
Registered
9,981 Posts
I would say Lindsay and Pierce. Lindsay is always dangerous even though clay is not her best surface, i am sure she will easily advance to round 4.Speaking of Pierce, her fatness, injury blah, still, she's one of the biggest dark horse, don't ever count a champion out.:)

·
Registered
886 Posts
Jelena least pressure of the top ten seeds.

I think Jelena has the least pressure becuase everybody is talking about her so called slump !?.

She has an excellent draw as she is in Davenports 1/8 of the draw and has got to beat Martinez in the third round if Conch can get that far. This year after every good tourney that Conch plays she really doesnt do that well in the next. So shouldn't we call that a slump !!. Jelena has to beat her and then she has to beat a player who has not played at FO for 2 years (Davenport) cause of injury and the last time she played the FO in 2000 she lost first round to the Belgium Dominique Van Roost (Monemi). Davenport has only made the semi at FO once in the year she was ranked number 1 (1998). Then after Davenport Jelena has to come up against one of the Favourites Clijsters in the QF. Kim has shown signs of choking this year and after all her last choke was at the German Open only a few weeks ago but she comes into the torunament with some form winning the Italian Open (6-0) in the thrid against Mauresmo. After that match Jelena probably will come up against last years SF and 2001 2002 AO and 2001 FO Capriati. Jelena and Capriati met last year at FO 2002 and Capriati won (6-1) in the third. I think this is the year that Jelena takes that further step and makes the final of a grand slam. In the final she might meet Justine and although Justine has been to a GS final before Jelena holds the upper hand as well Justine will be a favourite to win but all I can say is this is Jelena's year.

Jelena to win FO 2003
Ranked top 5 by the end of the year
Jelena to win AO 2004
Jelena to win Olympics 2004 (FOR AUS)
Aussie team to win Fed Cup 2004.

High expectations but she can do it.

Go JELENA

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Lindsay and Jennifer

1 - 20 of 28 Posts