Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which matchups, stories, records, titles, etc, do YOU want to see in 2020?

So with the end of the season here and not a whole lot to keep the posts rolling, I wanted to ask, what all do you REALLY want to see in 2020?

1) Which matchups on the court would you like to see?
2) Which big stories?
3) Which records would you like to be set or broken?
4) Who do you want to see winning/defending titles?
5) Which player(s) would you like to see win a first/big title/major?
6) Who do you want to see on the Olympic podium?
7) Who do you want to see make a big comeback?
8) Who will make a big rise or big fall in the standings?
9) Which other predictions would you like to make or think can happen?
10) Other discussion/drama for 2020?

·
La nuit je mens
86,902 Posts
In form Andreescu vs in form Clijsters on North American hard courts.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Being a fan of Andreescu, I really want to see some fun matchups for her. Probably the biggest ones right now are the top 10 players she hasn't faced as well as one of her mentioned tennis idols, Clijsters. I want to see rematches with Halep, Osaka and Pliskova, as well as Kerber, just to see more fireworks there.

2) Which big stories?
The media has made a lot of Gauff. While I'm not partial either way, I am curious to see where this player goes next year. I also want to see what Clijsters does in her comeback.

Kerber is chasing her career Slam record, so that will be a story. Of course Serena and her 24th etc. Who knows if either will happen, but it will be interesting to follow. Of course after the AO, talk can start of the Golden Slam for someone.

Being an Andreescu fan, I would love to see her defend a title next year. The Canadian Open will be a big one for Canadian fans during the Rogers Cup. The US Open will be a given to be a story. We will probably know how this player will be looking so far in 2020 after Indian Wells also. I would also like to see Halep win a new Slam on a hard court; I guess we'll see how her back with Darren turns out.

I think the best player who hasn't won one that I would like to see win one is Svitolina. She's a great player and has been consistent for some time now.

Andreescu, being Canadian. It would be a nice story to see Osaka have a nice run in her home country. And for a third, I'll probably just hope to see an inspired run from someone like we got in 2016.

I'm curious to see what Clijsters will do. Also Bouchard, who really knows there. I'm a big fan of Bacsinszky and I'd like to see her make a comeback as well. Ostapenko is a fun player to watch and is good for WTA drama, so seeing her make a nice comeback will be fun as well. Kasatkina has not nearly played to her ability, so seeing her do well again would be nice also. I'm gonna add Azarenka also, she's been a great player and is good for the WTA and would be good to see more great things from her again.

I have no idea how Gauff will do next year, but I'm sure it will be a story. There are some thinking Kerber's time may be done fairly soon, but I want to see some more good matchups with her. I'm hoping Muchova and Kenin make some good jumps; they played great this year but mainly had success in smaller tournaments with smaller points.

Personally I don't think Serena will match or break Court's record, but I guess we'll see. If she's up against some lucky/scrub player in the final, I'll certainly be hoping for her though. I'm hoping for at least another title for Bianca in 2020 and I really don't care which one. I know she's a gifted player, but I also know that hangovers happen, and she's also injury prone.

I want to see as many Kerber/Andreescu matches as possible next year. Osaka/Halep/Pliskova again I'd like to see. I'd actually like to see Andreescu/Halep team up for some doubles at some point just to see it. I'm curious to see what's gonna happen with the Court celebration at AO in January. And also curious to see the Serena and 24 story. As well as Kerber and if she will win a PM/P5 title or the French Open.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Andreescu/Kerber (for obvious reasons), Osaka/Serena when both are at their peak (maybe AO/USO final, would be so epic), Muchova/Barty (their all-court styles would be fun to watch)

2) Which big stories?
Serena breaking MC's "record", Coco Gauff having reasonable success to get the general public interested in tennis, Andreescu's continued development maybe start rivalries with young players (Kenin, Osaka, Anisimova, etc.), Venus and Serena retiring after USO 2020 (??), Clijsters comeback will be a bust

That trash old woman's fake record :rolleyes:

Serena, Osaka and Andreescu winning slams, Osaka and Andreescu defending their home titles, Venus getting a 50th title

Pliskova winning a slam, Ostapenko resurging and getting a PM/P5, Muchova getting a big title,

Osaka, Andreescu, Serena in no particular order

Ostapenko, Sloane, Azarenka, Mugu, Bellis

Barty out of the top 10 at year-end (I don't think she'll be able to beat the top players consistently enough in order to replicate her success. She got very fortunate with some draws breaking down, and a lot of players who could beat her were injured when she won her big titles. Of course, this is no fault of hers.), Yastremska into top 10, Sharapova into top 30, Wozniacki out of top 50

I think Andreescu will play a Serena-like schedule and will be able to stay healthy. Osaka will be more consistent. Coco will have decent success.

Andreescu's mom will wear a different wig for each slam :laugh2:, Andreescu will shed the "drama queen" title but will still be hated by TF for winning too much :SNE:, Halep/Cahill coaching relationship will be problematic

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
- Simona winning a slam for a third straight year
- Bianca going on another tear and ending the year as #1 with at least 1 slam win
- Venus winning title #50 and qualifying for the Olympics
- Kenin winning some big titles and giving a big middle finger to the many haters she already has
- Serena winning #24 if all the above have already flopped
- SuWei making the top 10
- More matches between Bianca and Kerber
- Buzarnescu finding some form again and getting back to the top 30, because of her struggles and because she's one of the most fun players to watch when she's on
- Kaia making the AO MD and beating someone like Pliskova or Bencic, by virtue of her 15k "title" :lol:

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has Kerber actually given any indication that she is attempting this? Because otherwise, if this is just a guess based on the fact that she has 3 out of 4 already..I don't think so... :lol:
I can’t recall where I saw it, but I have several times and recently again that gave me the impression that she seemed intent to be looking for it this year...

She’s a decent enough clay court player and could arguably win the French as predictably as anyone else has in recent years...

·
Registered
1,634 Posts

oska vs andreescu, osaka vs barty, osaka vs serena regularly

2) Which big stories?

Serena winning 24th

Naomi winning french and wimbledon , olympics gold completing career golden slam( lol one can dream)

Naomi obviously

Cori

Osaka barty kerber

Sharapova, kerber

Ostapenko will rise

Naomi will win 2 slams

·
Registered
604 Posts
1 MATCHUPS IN 2020.- BIANCA V THE TOP 10, i want to see if she can keep up her excellent record against them, or if they have figured out how to play her.
ARYNA V RISKE- i really enjoyed their match ups this year.
COCO GAUFF V THE TOP 10- she is now the hunted, want to see how she fairs against them.

2 BIG STORIES- SERENA doesn't win a slam, infact she only reaches 1 second week.( talks of retirement)
CLIJSTERS comeback lasts less than 6 months due to not winning, other comeback players also decide to retire as well. ( GOLOVIN)

3 RECORDS SET OR BROKEN- the 4 slam winners & olympic gold medalist are FIRSTTIME winners.

4 WINNING/DEFENDING TITLES- my favourites, BIANCA, DAYANA, ARYNA, SONYA, all defending at some stage.

5 FIRST/BIG TITLE/MAJOR.- ARYNA, DAYANA, SONYA, AMANDA ANISIMOVA, KAROLINA MUCHOVA, KA PLISKOVA.

6 OLYMPIC PODIUM- BIANCA, ARYNA, DAYANA.

7 BIG COMEBACK- would like to see DANIELA HANTUCHOVA comeback, but she will not.

8 BIG RISE/FALL IN RANKINGS- assuming no injuries involved, RISES- CAMILA, KANEPI, KRIS PLISKOVA, PERA, COLLINS. also hoping for ARYNA, DAYANA, SONYA, AMANDA to rise a little bit.
FALLS- BARTY, SERENA, KEYS, STEPHENS, KIKI BERTENS.

9 PREDICTIONS 2020 - BARTY drops out of top 10, misses shenzhen, SERENA, see above. A TOP 20 PLAYER will announce their retirement due to injury. THE W.T.A. announces during the year that they are dropping 1 of the late ASIAN swing events in 2021, giving back an event to europe, because of player complaints about staying to long in asia with no crowds. CAMILA will give a gracious handshake to someone when she loses. THE W.T.A WEBSITE is announced as in the top 5 WORST WEBSITES in the world for information.

10 OTHER DISCUSSIONS/DRAMA FOR 2020- BIANCA gets hate on this forum for rarely playing because she's injured, but WINS most of the events she plays. GENIE wins quite a few matches and the forum goes into meltdown.
HALEP SACKS CAHILL as fulltime coach, but he still spends more time with her than her new coach.
MARGRET COURT gets a standing ovation at aussie open.
HOPMAN CUP comes back to PERTH in 2021, due to poorly attended A.T.P. CUP ( NADAL & DJOKOVIC both are late wihdrawals)

·
Art & Futures
20,301 Posts
Some sort of blooming youngster rivalry

Serena, Venus, Jankovic all winning a slam

·
Premium Member
36,973 Posts
I want all my faves doing especially well but enjoy the WTA stories exactly as they come, because nothing's up to the reality. My dreams are mine.

·
Registered
11,713 Posts
I can’t recall where I saw it, but I have several times and recently again that gave me the impression that she seemed intent to be looking for it this year...

She’s a decent enough clay court player and could arguably win the French as predictably as anyone else has in recent years...
Eh.... A lot of random players do win the French Open, but Kerber has never performed very well at that slam. Outside of Stuttgart, she's never performed very well on red clay in general. I also think she doesn't match up very well to her main rivals on red clay. It's not out of the realms of possibility, but it will be tough for her to pull off.

·
Registered
978 Posts
--Serena getting 24 or 25
--Halep or Osaka winning another slam.
--Seeing Coco win a big tourney (seeing her win something like Cincy or Toronto would be cool)
--Serena avenging some of the losses she's had in finals recently
--Barty winning a few big tourneys (Rome, Madrid, or a slam on another surface, please) and continuing to prove that she deserves her ranking.
--Serena getting back to number 1 (With her limited schedule this is unlikely. Still, I can dream)

·
Administrator
39,779 Posts
** Monica Puig gets into Olympic MD and defends her Olympic Gold.

** Gauff reaches the 4R at all four Slams.

** Kenin (AO), Anisimova (FO), Riske (Wimbledon), and Keys (USO) are all GS Finalists in 2020.

** Serena gets the 24th in a third set for the ages.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Which matchups on the court would you like to see?
Andreescu/Naomi, Andreescu/Kerber - in fact Angie v Many Top Players could be great assuming she is remotely interested.

2) Which big stories?
Cori will continue to be a story I feel, as will Naomi massively around Olympic time.Serena will be a story until she retires.:lol:

Naomi defending AO, Maddy defending Cincy and Penko defending Luxembourg. However two of these players are highly unreliable and most of the players I support didn't win a title in 2019 to defend in the first place.:sobbing:

Penko winning her first P5, Pavly winning her first Premier title in 46 years.

Petra, Naomi and Zarina*

*Actually if Zarina qualifies for the Olympics I'll be reasonably happy.

Angie :[ Sloane :[ :[ Vika :[ :[ :[ Sam:[ :[ :[ :[ Ekat and Lena V:[ :[ :[ :[ :[ :[

Penko is going to go on a run at a much bigger tournament than Luxembourg. Wimbledon would be nice.:devil:

Hopefully Bianca and Naomi can get a bit of a rivalry going on hardcourts at least (much as I love Naomi I'm still keeping my expectations pretty low for about a third of the season). Think Ash will also continue her form from this season and could be at the sharp end at all 4 Slams.Hoping Maddy can stay fit (highly unlikely) but if does will also have a bash at at least one of the Slams.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts