Tennis Forum banner

Which is the most difficult record to break?

• Martina Navratilova - 167 career singles titles

Votes: 58 45.7%
  • Margaret Court - 21 titles won in a year

Votes: 38 29.9%
  • Tracy Austin - Youngest winners of a title 14 yrs, 0 mos, 28 days (1977 Portland)

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • Margaret Court - 62 Grand Slams titles

Votes: 60 47.2%
  • Martina Navratilova - 31 doubles Grand Slams titles

Votes: 14 11.0%
  • Martina Navartilova - 12 titles at a particular tournament (Chicago)

Votes: 17 13.4%
  • Martina Navartilova - 8 years ending tournament championships

Votes: 14 11.0%
  • Martina Navartilova - 74 match winning streaks

Votes: 26 20.5%
  • Martina Hingis - youngest-ever Grand Slam junior titlist (12 years old - RG)

Votes: 23 18.1%
  • Steffi Graf - won 45 consecutive Grand Slam singles matches

Votes: 29 22.8%
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
29,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Records are meant to be broken, right? Just for the sake of conversation, of the records listed, which do you think is the least likely to ever be broken (not simply tied)? There is no emphasis here on the importance of the record, only how likely it is to stand for a long time.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
margy court... 62 grand slam titles... that will never be broken.

·
Registered
84,762 Posts
1. 62 grand slam titles.
2. 21 titles won in one year.
3. 167 career singles titles.
4. 12 titles in a particular event(unless you mean all singles, doubles, and even mixed doubles combined).:p
5. 8 years ending tournament championships.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
I think it's the long winning streaks that are hardest to break just because you have to be good enough to win in the first place but to then maintain that standard & consistency for so long without a let up at all has got to be bloody tough.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Apart from Tracey's record (still a marvellous feat), all the others are pretty much unbeatable, so it's a silly question. Tracey's one is the only one I feel may be broken... maybe.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I think the one record that will never be equalled or broken is Steffi Graf's 4 titles at each of the 4 majors...

·
Trainwreck
58,688 Posts
Definitely Margaret Court's (even though she's a homophobic bitch) 62 slam wins. Nowadays that would be pretty much impossible. There's more of an open field.

·
Rena's Army
35,194 Posts
most of them probably won't be broken :shrug: especially in this day

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Um... are we talking about Steffi Graf's consecutive record as in 1995, 1996 and 1997? She missed the 1996 Australian Open so that's hardly consecutive.

Navratilova actually holds that record.

If we're going to miss grand slams, Helen Wills will easily hold that record considering she didn't lose a match in a grand slam between 1924 and 1933. :eek:

·
Registered
14,232 Posts
The top five title hauls and Grand Slam hauls are probably set forever. FYI Margaret Court won more titles than Navratilova, around 200 I believe. It's a shame, beccause records are meant to be broken. But the game has changed an awful lot.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
These records are just absurd!

The current structure of the tour doesn't allow most of these to happen again. Back in the days where those records were set the tour was bascially half a dozen of player splitting titles all year long...:shrug: there were virtually no injuries and tournaments were held in a handfull of countries thus making travelling less demanding than it is at the present day. I mean look at Federer: last big player to be at the top for so long but he still only amassed 12 or 13 slam titles and if I'm not wrong only 13 or 14 titles a year at best. The kind of longevity required to set such records cannot be attained in today's tennis, it's way too demanding both mentally and physically.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
If you actually give Margaret Court credit for 62 slam titles, then that's definitely going to be the hardest record to break---in fact it's probably impossible. The thing is though, she really didn't have 62 slam titles because most of those titles came from before those tournaments were slams. And she also won close to half of those at the Australian Open, which most of the top players didn't even go to at that time. So the whole record is very dubious, but yeah, there's virtual no way that anyone could ever pass 62.

Also, some of the records you have there are only for the Open Era. For instance, Margaret Court won more singles titles than Navratilova. And Helens Wills Moody and Maureen Connolly both won more consecutive grand slam singles matches than Graf (although, again, those tournaments weren't really "slams" at that time.)

EDIT: Helen Wills Moody also has a longer match winning streak than Navratilova.

·
What's this?
14,651 Posts
Hingis' can't be broken as now you have to be at least 13 to be able to play junior tournaments.
Yep!
And it's near impossible for youngest winner of a tour title too as players have to be at least 14 to play on tour.

I don't think Martina's 167 tournaments record will be broken soon too cos the structure of the tour has changed and also cos the game has become so physical.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts