Hmm, there were some interesting responses, but in sticking within the limits of the poll, I made my selection based on the following reasons:
1. Hingis came way to close to winning Oz, to be stopped by the heat, for me to think that she can not get in and win a slam final this year.
2. Monica will win some Tier I titles, but there is just an over abundance of young heavy hitters for this great veteran to go through in a GS final this year.
3. Odly enough, I think that SERENA may have a better chance at RG than her sister, but VENUS is the mistress of the fast courts and between sis and Cappy, SERENA may be left out of winning one of the final two slams once more.
4. Capriati was very fortunate to win Oz. Roland Garros will be very competitive with Dokic, Mauresmo, Monica and VENUS all playing well for Jenn to do it again. Wimbey and the U.S. Open will bring VENUS in her full stride with Dokic, Clijsters and SERENA right behind her, making it real tough for the young Mafioso, who generally slows down in the summer, to come out ahead.
5. VENUS should win either Roland Garos, Wimbey or the Open, but the early season injuries makes me doubtful of her doing a double again this year. But, no one thought the Goddess of Tennis could do a double in 2000, yet she did it then and once more in 2001, so I could, hopefully, be wrong on this estimation of her GS count for 2002 as well.
6. How much longer can ANNA dodge getting that win. She has the talent, will and seems to be in good shape, so, the odds seem way to good for the Rocket to claim at least one Tier IV or V title in 2002.
I went for Martina to win a Grand Slam, because I'm convinced she's going to win at Roland Garros
I do think as well that Venus will definitely win a Slam though and that Anna will win a title, but I agree with Saki, it'll be a Tier 1 or 2 event and not a 4 or a 5 because it's less pressure at the top events for her. Anna will only get better and better during the year and the only reason why she hasn't gone even further in tournaments this year, is because she's had to come up against top 10 players every event, except Auckland.
I picked Venus to win two - though I can see anything on that list happening - I just can't see anyone taking out Venus on grass. And she has a reasonable chance at Roland Garros, and an even better chance at the US Open.
I can also see jenny winning 2 slams - but if I had to pick between her and Venus, I guess I picked Venus.