Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i currently have a 4mp fujifilm, but it only has 3x zoom and is very slow to take the photo once the button is pushed. im wondering whats a nice camera for photo quality and one that has a very good zoom function? (or one where you can get a nice zoom lens)

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Elena Dementieva Fan
6,017 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hehe thanks for the advice, what about cheaper ones?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Seriously, you can get great photos with a cheaper camera. There are many options and a 300 or 400 mm zoom will do fine.

The only problems will be, if you want to have large prints like posters, which is probably not the case.

action shots, a good slr camera with a zoom lense is ok when they are not moving too much, but if you want to shoot multiple times (to pick the right one) while they are hitting the ball, then the quality won't be that good unless you use a high speed telephoto (not zoom) lense, which are awfully expensive (more than the cameras themselves) and you need a camera to match.

Said that, I don't believe most sports photographers have a camera like this one, it's really the top of the line (of any camera). They do have the lenses though, an 600 mm is about $10,000.

·
Banned
23,113 Posts
No digital camera is really good for tennis yet. All models that I've seen or used have too much of a shatter lag to be able to catch any action.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Are you allowed to take larger cameras into the US Open? I was at a sporting event down here and they only let a certain size lens in!!!

·
Registered
828 Posts

This is my camera, do you think I'll be able to take good photographs at the All England Club with this?

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
ys said:
No digital camera is really good for tennis yet. All models that I've seen or used have too much of a shatter lag to be able to catch any action.
the EOS d1 is, with telephoto lenses. They are used for far more action intense stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
With tennis, it's more important to use a fast lens.....preferably with a 2.8. It keeps the depth of field short (blurs the background) and lets you shoot fast enough to stop the ball. On a sunny day, I'm shooting 2.8 at anywhere from 1/1500 of a second to 1/8000. Depending on where you're sitting, a 300 mm lens would get a decent shot. I shoot on the court and get full body with a 200 mm lens and 3/4 shot with a 300 mm lens.

As far as the camera goes, the 10D is a good choice. There is no shutter delay, so that's great, but the processing time is gonna be slower than a 1D or 1DS. Most pros who use Canon are shooting with the 1DS or the new Mark II. Some actually have a 10D as backup.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
10x optical zoom, f2.8 - 3.7 (equiv. 38 - 380mm on 35mm camera)

is this quite good?

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
Sounds pretty good, Joe. You can take great shots even with a consumer digital camera. It just takes some practice. You have to take the shot before it happens...stay with the player and anticipate the ball. Take the shot and "pan" (left-right movement) the camera with the player's action. That will reduce any blur. Practice makes perfect :)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hehe yeah i had that with my other one, if you didnt shoot before you wanted the action/shot was over. so im getting used to that!

·
Registered
20,122 Posts
Reactions: JoeB_UK

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks cello! these look more my kinda price lol! do you have either of these?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts