Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suppose tennis was like cycling, and the players had all expenses paid by sponsors. (I know, I know, but that's not true for MOST of the players.) The players becomes the public face of the company, not just a salesperson.

So, which company's would sponsor which players?

For example, Lance Armstrong rides for the US Postal Service.

In tennis, the US Postal Service should sponsor Jenn. 'Going Postal' would have real meaning!

Venus would, of course, be sponsored by V Starr Interiors

Justine by the Belgian Clay Shooting Federation

Kim by Leonidas (She's soooooo sweet)

Anna K - Konica

Jelena - the Royal Shakespeare Company's production of 'Hamlet'

You get the idea.

Nasty being easy, try to be creative instead.

For example, in Lindsay's case, I thought about Mack Trucks, Peterbilt and Victoria's Secret. None of those choices are predicated on nice. But it turns out, for non-obvious reasons, the best choice is Rolls Royce. (I'll explain that if anybody cares.)

Have fun.

Reactions: gentenaire

·
Registered
17,877 Posts
Fredrick's of Hollywood needs to grab Serena by the thong.

Gillette really needs to contact Venus to endorse their Venus razor.

1-800-Dentist should get in touch with Kim.

The Clapper needs to call Justine.

Ch-ch-ch-chia pet really, really should call James.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts

·
double-dog daredevil
11,675 Posts
Nair - Andre Agassi

Subway - Daniela H.

Mini Coopers - Amanda (small, but fiesty and powerful)

Ok, Volcana, let's hear the Rolls Royce story

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Martina Navratilova- The Kentucky Derby

Can you believe she actually had the nerve to suggest discrimination in endorsements all those years. Will somebody tell her she looks like a horse, and Gabby Sabatini and Anna Kournikova don't have to win to sell product?

·
Registered
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
griffin said:
Nair - Andre Agassi
ROTFLMAO

Ok, Volcana, let's hear the Rolls Royce story
Not a story as much as an odd reasoning process. Lindsay had, by some accounts, a rather unflattering nickname when she first came on the tour. 'Dump Truck'. Hence Mack and Peterbilt.

But she went on to be Year End #1 a couple times, and won 3 singles and 3 doubles GS titles. A Hall-of-Faem career, assuredly. What's the opposite of truck companies in that context? But Lindsay isn't really Victoria's Secret kind of girl. At least in public.

So I was at a loss.

But guess who's one of the world's largest makers of highend trucking and construction equipment? Rolls Royce.

So maybe when you think of high end automotives you don't think of Rolls Royce as quickly as you do Ferrarri or Lambourgini. But say the words 'Rolls Royce', and everyone knows its top shelf all the way.

Like Lindsay

·
Registered
26,637 Posts
alfajeffster said:
Martina Navratilova- The Kentucky Derby

Can you believe she actually had the nerve to suggest discrimination in endorsements all those years. Will somebody tell her she looks like a horse, and Gabby Sabatini and Anna Kournikova don't have to win to sell product?
How about: get a clue? Sure Martina wasn't gonna be a glamour model, but she'd have had alot more sporting goods endorsements if not for an anti-gay stigma you may be too young to remember. And BTW, I'm a straight white male, so if I defend her on that, or the W/S on certain other stuff, it's not "sticking up for my own", etc.

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
JollyRoger said:
How about: get a clue? Sure Martina wasn't gonna be a glamour model, but she'd have had alot more sporting goods endorsements if not for an anti-gay stigma you may be too young to remember. And BTW, I'm a straight white male, so if I defend her on that, or the W/S on certain other stuff, it's not "sticking up for my own", etc.
There wasn't a gay stigma- that's a myth created to generate a story. Martina Navratilova didn't get endorsements because she was, and is, one of the least attractive women EVER! Gabriela Sabatini, and Gigi Fernandez never had problems, and it's a major cop-out for gay rights to latch onto this kind of false platform. Billie Jean King was outed in 1980, and it didn't seem to hurt her endorsements and contractual and marketable skills one iota. I am a gay white male, and I don't appreciate Martina using the gay issue like she did under false pretenses!

·
double-dog daredevil
11,675 Posts
at the risk of being pummeled by my fellow Momosapiens

Amelie - Timex watches :lol:

·
double-dog daredevil
11,675 Posts
alfajeffster said:
There wasn't a gay stigma- that's a myth created to generate a story. Martina Navratilova didn't get endorsements because she was, and is, one of the least attractive women EVER! Gabriela Sabatini, and Gigi Fernandez never had problems, and it's a major cop-out for gay rights to latch onto this kind of false platform. Billie Jean King was outed in 1980, and it didn't seem to hurt her endorsements and contractual and marketable skills one iota. I am a gay white male, and I don't appreciate Martina using the gay issue like she did under false pretenses!
(has the term “Aunt Mary” been invented yet?)

Off topic, but FTR, Billie did lose some of the (very few) endorsements she had. And I could name a number of other champions who’ve also had unkind things said about their appearance who seem to have done quite well in endorsements despite not looking like models.

Assuming you’re telling the truth about yourself, I suggest you look up the phrase “internalized homophobia”

Reactions: *JR*

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
griffin said:
(has the term “Aunt Mary” been invented yet?)

Off topic, but FTR, Billie did lose some of the (very few) endorsements she had. And I could name a number of other champions who’ve also had unkind things said about their appearance who seem to have done quite well in endorsements despite not looking like models.

Assuming you’re telling the truth about yourself, I suggest you look up the phrase “internalized homophobia”
How about Hamburger Mary, ever been?

Seriously, if Martina Navratilova had looked like Anna Kournikova, tell me how many endorsements this lovely gay blonde bombshell would have garnered- think about it, without externalizing a pre-conditioned hatred of men...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.