Tennis Forum banner

BACKhand

• Total voters
81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
What did she say? - She said: "I will kill you" :o
9,690 Posts
I realized I did not answer this question. Two-handed of course just like those last two in the video below (btw. my first practice after very bad left ankle injury).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've always used a two-handed back hand just because that's how I learned. I've tried a one-handed back hand, but never practiced it much. Would like to get back into it and improve my game.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
I usually go for the two-handed which is more reliable for me, unless I'm defending/don't have enough time to set up my shot. In that case I go for the one-handed because it comes naturally.

·
Registered
39,152 Posts
After many years of having an okayish yet never great two-handed BH (as a leftie) who relied on his forehand, I have finally switched over to a one-handed version and OMG, I should have done it much earlier in Thiem-style. Was also a decent slicer so that's fine by me. Whatever exercise I did before (and I did many), I was never able to fully relax my dominant hand, and did too much with it. When I made the switch now, I noticed how strong my left hand is. I also got a pretty good feel for the ball, so re-directing the shot feels fine. I still struggle at times with fast balls played right at my feet. As long as it is a basic topspin rally, I am very fine and can also inject some pace. The shot also got a lot more topspin than my previously hit two-handed BH. I'm sure it will only improve. Have noticed I now win a couple more matches than I used to as I hit the shot much more consistently. Also, I was never confident enough on the two-handed shot, overthinking the motion. Doesn't happen anymore and makes the game much more fun and relaxing for me. The other big thing this year was the Femto-Lasik eye surgery, so we'll see what that changes in the future. Am a decent club-level player.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Last month, I finally started with tennis lessons and last week we practiced backhands. :help:
So now I have a two handed backhand :cool:

Curious to see what will happen to that the coming weeks :D

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I use a meh two hander but with the slice as fallback when it collapses. Much prefer the FH wing, lots of inside out/in forehands if I can.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Two-handed but I’ve been starting to slice my backhand more which I do one handed

·
Registered
3 Posts
One hander. I used to hit both hands of both sides but then i switched my forehand and found it too hard to keep the double backhand. Its not the weapon it was but its much better for dictating play in the sense that I can put my slice anywhere and its still a fine shot flat.
I also prefer one hander. I'm comfortable with it compared to double backhand.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts