Tennis Forum banner

BACKhand

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Two-handed - I love Venus's, Maria's and Azarenka's backhands.

Lately i have been utilizing my left hand in my backhand much more and it has been making a huge difference

·
Registered
15,501 Posts
Two-handed. Every since I started watching JJ play my technique is almost exactly like hers. And I always wanted to hit my backhand DTL "JJ Style", so I now barely remember how to hit my backhand cross court from the center of the court :sobbing:

I've actually never seen myself play so I should record myself and see how similar the technique is. Probably not as I think in my head.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Two-handed flat - Has always been my most consistent shot and I especially love hitting a short-angle backhand crosscourt and my BH DTL.
Used to play with a single handed backhand when I couldn't hit the ball with two hands :eek:

·
Registered
17,700 Posts
Two-handed. I could never have as much consistency with a one hander. Besides, my two handed backhand is far and away my best shot. I even slice and drop shot with both hands on the racquet (actually I have a quirky two handed forehand dropshot too :tape:) but I only take a hand off for *some* volleys or cross court backhand drop shots because it's much easier to find a tighter angle that way.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I use two handed backhand and this is probably my best shot when I am on. I improve my game through matches that i play, and last year when I started to play tennis (back then I was a real mess) I actually used one handed backhand sometimes and I made some beautiful winners. But it was more luck than any other thing...

I hit a 2 handed backhand and it can only go one direction - down the line. I literally cannot hit cross-court. I think its a bit of a mental block because I used to be able to but now I'm afraid I'll make an error.
Even despite I'm satisfied with my backhand I can't hit BH DL. I only use cross court. :(
I'm so happy when I make beautiful and unexpected shot though...

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
2-handed, with my right palm being pretty low. I still can't figure out how to hit one-handed flat backhand, anytime I hit it, it seems like my racket will fly away. With 2 hands on a backhand, I feel like I can penetrate into the opponent's power and return the ball with the same speed, because my left hand is a strong support and power source, while the right hand answers for the direction of a ball.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I'll just use this topic for my "problem" :)

I use semi western forehand, so I can spin every ball easily. I don't have any problems on my forehand side, but backhand is my weakness.

Half of my shots on backhand side are slizes (especially low balls), the other half are double handed flat balls (no spin what so ever). Do you think that those flat balls will eventually become spinned when I will learn to use my wrist some more? (Let me just say that I play tennis for a year now, but on the other hand I'm a former table tennis player)

Latelly I've been trying to hit one handed backhand using an eastern backhand grip. All my practice of one handed backhand was hitting a ball against the wall.

Double handed backhand feels to me a bit akward or unnatural. I would love to play one handed, because is more similar to table tennis.

What do you suggest? What should I do? Am I using the right grip on my backhand?
Dear Magnus

I am actually quite surprised that no one has replied to your question which has revived this thread. You seem to have the same problem which I used to have when I stopped playing table tennis and started tennis instead.

I started learning two-handed backhand, but couldn't hit a decent backhand, so I moved to one-handed which was better for top spin but way harder to control and I wasn't happy with that either. I had a good forehand with a semi-western grip and my coach told me that the two-handed backhand is just like a left-handed forehand, so as soon as I had the semi-western grip and made my left hand the dominant hand on the shot, I realized how easy it was to generate top spin with the backhand and I have never looked back.

So my suggestion is, just try to have the semi-western fore the left hand and continental for the right, and hold the racket very loose with the right hand at first, so that the left hand does all the work. After a while loosen up both hands so that you can have more racket head speed and you will see the difference that it makes to your shots and how natural it becomes. :wavey:

As I said I use two-handed and I believe the popularity of the two-handed on the pro tour is a testament of its superiority over one-handed. There are pros and cons for each, but to me the only problem with two handed is the "less reach" than one handed, and I happily compensate for that by hitting a one handed slice or one handed lob.

·
Look who's back!
32,304 Posts
I'll just use this topic for my "problem" :)

I use semi western forehand, so I can spin every ball easily. I don't have any problems on my forehand side, but backhand is my weakness.

Half of my shots on backhand side are slizes (especially low balls), the other half are double handed flat balls (no spin what so ever). Do you think that those flat balls will eventually become spinned when I will learn to use my wrist some more? (Let me just say that I play tennis for a year now, but on the other hand I'm a former table tennis player)

Latelly I've been trying to hit one handed backhand using an eastern backhand grip. All my practice of one handed backhand was hitting a ball against the wall.

Double handed backhand feels to me a bit akward or unnatural. I would love to play one handed, because is more similar to table tennis.

What do you suggest? What should I do? Am I using the right grip on my backhand?
Without actually seeing the stroke production it's difficult to help, I'd say start simple and really make sure your racket starts below the ball and comes up through it. That'll naturally add TS to the shot.

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts

So my suggestion is, just try to have the semi-western fore the left hand and continental for the right, and hold the racket very loose with the right hand at first, so that the left hand does all the work. After a while loosen up both hands so that you can have more racket head speed and you will see the difference that it makes to your shots and how natural it becomes. :wavey:

This. I tried having an eastern on the left hand and it made all my shots very flat. The key is to have a semi western on the left.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
One handed backhand.

I am actually pretty good with the two handed too, but I hate having to always stretch my back to hit it! With the one handed though, I have much better balanced and it's just less work to hit it. With the one hander, I use my feet to get down to really low balls, but with the 2 handed that is almost impossible unless you're Djokovic, and I end up bending down.

Anyways I don't know why, but my backhands in general are much better than forehands. Half the time i don't even know the direction I am hitting the forehand :sobbing: I guess it had to do with me playing other sports where I had to hit balls in line with my body, rather than away from my body.

·
Look who's back!
32,304 Posts
This. I tried having an eastern on the left hand and it made all my shots very flat. The key is to have a semi western on the left.
Same, I had to alter my forehand grip from Eastern to Semi-Western, to get more spin & margin on my shots.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I recently changed to two handed backhand. I can hit really good shots with it, but it's soo inconsistent. I can always rely on my one-handed slice if needed. I just wish I knew how to get the two hander to be more reliable...

·
Writer of Stuff
8,734 Posts
One-handed. I hit as flat as can be, and quite hard. As what some would label a "BBB" and having an eastern forehand, I need the range and flexibility a one handed backhand gives me. It's more natural, more comfortable, less restricted, I've been hitting that way since I was seven, and I don't lack for any power off of that side, so it's the right choice. I can hit two handed, but it doesn't feel right.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
One handed. :)

Switched from a two handed after the first year as my back couldn't handle it and I never got to hit a 100% one. The change really paid off. :cool:

·
Registered
18,853 Posts
Two-handed BH because I was too weak to try to have a one-hander when I started playing :lol:

Now I have a pretty nice one-handed slice though :)

41 - 60 of 98 Posts