Tennis Forum banner

BACKhand

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Double handed backhand. One handed never worked for me. I am more confident when I am using both hands I guess and have more control of the ball. I want to learn the double handed forehand as well but the coach won't let me. :eek:

·
Registered
25,435 Posts
One handed backhand :dance:

·
Registered
53,535 Posts
I don't have a backhand. I run around to hit a forehand or I just take a very ugly swing at the ball and pray it goes in. :)

·
Registered
13,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I hit a 2 handed backhand and it can only go one direction - down the line. I literally cannot hit cross-court. I think its a bit of a mental block because I used to be able to but now I'm afraid I'll make an error.

·
Registered
35,416 Posts
cross court is much easier shot than down the line:lol:

·
Premium Member
28,024 Posts
I started with two handed backhand now I´m slicing almost every backhand (sth like Vinci)
I´ve finally learned how to play one handed backhand!:D After I had a long break from tennis (almost 3 years) and I grew up, I had a big problem with two handed backhand and I used just slice backhand (it´s not a bad shot though) so I tried to use one-handed, It absoutely didn´t work then, it went sooo wide everytime but I finally have a ball under the control:D The placement isn´t that great I still need a lot of work but at least I finally goes in:D Two handed is still as bad as it was after break what is a shame because it was my best shot after volleys:awww:

·
Registered
18,134 Posts
My two-handed cross court BH is my favorite shot. Players I play against keep thinking my BH is a weakness and they fail to realize how much of a hot mess my western FH is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll just use this topic for my "problem" :)

I use semi western forehand, so I can spin every ball easily. I don't have any problems on my forehand side, but backhand is my weakness.

Half of my shots on backhand side are slizes (especially low balls), the other half are double handed flat balls (no spin what so ever). Do you think that those flat balls will eventually become spinned when I will learn to use my wrist some more? (Let me just say that I play tennis for a year now, but on the other hand I'm a former table tennis player)

Latelly I've been trying to hit one handed backhand using an eastern backhand grip. All my practice of one handed backhand was hitting a ball against the wall.

Double handed backhand feels to me a bit akward or unnatural. I would love to play one handed, because is more similar to table tennis.

What do you suggest? What should I do? Am I using the right grip on my backhand?

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
2 handed - I learned tennis on my own, without lessons or coaching etc...The backhand was the first shot I really learned to hit well, and it came quite easily. My favourite player was Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, and I always loved her backhand too :)

Same for me. Learned on my own and loved Venus' backhand.

It has weakened now since I tried my hardest to get my forehand decent, now my forehand is my stronger side. :sad:

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I have a 2 handed bh.I like that shot cuz its more consistent however i feel like i've lost some ,,venom" on it :/

·
Registered
618 Posts
Two-handed. When I first started playing tennis I hit two hands off both sides but after a while my coach made me adopt the more traditional forehand.

My backhand is far and away my better shot as it's pretty obvious I'm more comfortable with both hands on the racket. If I've got enough time to line up the shot I will still switch back to the two-handed forehand on putaways.

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
Two-handed. I was too slim and I also wanted to copy Lleyton Hewitt when I started. I guess the two-handed backhand has more control, it's more safe, but the one-handed one could be a way better weapon.

21 - 40 of 98 Posts