Tennis Forum banner

Which aspect of Venus her game would you like to see improved?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's discuss :)

·
Registered
12,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well to be honest I would like to see more accuracy on her forehand and I definetely want to see those flying drive volleys again, because she crushed a lot of times Martina Hingis with that at the semifinal of Usopen 2000 that I rewatched yesterday.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think her forehand needs imporvement. It breaks down under pressure and it has cost her a lot of matchs. I don't think she'll ever improve in the drop shot and volleying part of her game

·
King
28,799 Posts
Needs here forehand to be like it was in 2000 and 2001 and also like against sharapova wimbledon semi some of the best struck forehands ever :eek:

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,894 Posts
I voted for her serve....I think everything flows from this. If she got more aces and unreturnable serves in the pressure would be less and her forehand would flow much more freely.

·
Registered
12,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rocketta said:
I voted for her serve....I think everything flows from this. If she got more aces and unreturnable serves in the pressure would be less and her forehand would flow much more freely.
That could be a good point though!

·
it's just me against the music.
27,316 Posts
I think Venus' game is very solid right now. If anything, her serve needs to get back to the dominant serve that won her so many free points in 2000 and 2001, but that's being extremely critical. I think her forehand problem is in the past but it is does come back every now and then. If anything, Venus needs to work on being healthy. She took Kim Clijsters, the hottest girl on the tour to 3 sets after being up a set and a break at the US Open. Imagine if she was healthy and played consistently. When healthy and she has flow for the game, Venus is amazing. But when is the last time we've had that? 2002-2003 and she had someone else in her way then - Serena but no one is in her way now if she can come back strong.

·
Registered
15,448 Posts
footwork. once that's sorted out, everything will fall into place.

·
49,001 Posts
Her serve. Not only is it the foundation to her game, but its NOTHING like it used to be.

·
Premium Member
36,826 Posts
I would like Venus to improve her attention while rallies. She does so many UE when she thinks about fashion, mother, serena, her fans but not about tennis :fiery:

·
Registered
12,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
skanky~skanketta said:
footwork. once that's sorted out, everything will fall into place.
Ehm I don't understand what you exactly mean, could you be more clearly please?:angel:

I'm very interested in your opinion.

·
和平.
16,963 Posts
She really need to get back that consistant & ultrapowerful serve.

And place it well.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Pretty much everything. Her backhand isn't as lethal a weapon as it used to be and her forehand is even more scratchy than 2004. Her 2000 swing volleys were amazing and she won important points by coming into net.

·
Heyyy
22,759 Posts
her forehand-its amazing when its on (wimby) but her technique is poor so it breaks down a lot (like most of the top women to be fair) e.g. french open vs karatantcheva :tape:

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
Rocketta said:
agreed. bring the scary serve back Vee :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Venus has a very good net game, It is a fine vollyer. She also has a great drop shot that she used to use as an apro to the net. And the drop shot won her a lot of tight matches before her injury. Now I bearly see her use it which is a shame. But I would love to see Venus mix it up a bit more, slice some balls, I know its hard to go from two hands but just on a big point slice a few balls back moon ball do some different things.

God you can also tell im a huge fan of federers

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
With Venus, her whole game is nothing like it used to be. I'll break it down stroke for stroke here:

Serve: Not as powerful or as well located as it used to be. With the front foot parallel to the baseline, she isn't allowed to serve as hard as she used to and her serve up-the-middle on the deuce and out-wide on the ad are a mess. They both stay in the strike zone of her opponents and aren't flat enough for aces. Most if not all of Venus' serves has slice on them now. She can use it now and then, but not on every serve. Someone needs to tell Venus that she needs to have her front foot pointed in the direction of the net post (like she did from the beginning of her career until 2004-2005ish) to her right and jump into the court to get the same first serve she once had. Her second serve is more solid now, but a good kick serve like Serena's would help her cause.

Forehand: Don't try to hit a forehand like Venus at home folks. You should never have your right foot in front of the left foot. Plus Venus has a hitch in her swing with a double take back. She isn't getting enough topspin and racquet head speed from her swing through the forehand. It is too flat and the stroke is too rigid now. Venus needs to start swing up the back of the ball more to get that heavy ball she used to hit enough in 2004. She needs to smoothen out the stroke.

Backhand: This is prob her most regressed shot. Doesn't hit enough winners on this side anymore, is ALL open-stance (too much and too open for me), no disguise on it anymore and the backhand down-the-line isn't what is was. She is making a ton of errors off this side and it is killing her in tight matches. Again, this shot is too rigid in the technique and isn't as smooth as it once was. Venus used to hit a heavy ball off her backhand and would close her stance to attack balls (much easier to attack a ball with a closed-stance on the two hander than completely open because you have no body weight going into the shot (which is why Venus has to run through her backhands to get weight behind them now) and there is more body control when the stance is closed). Venus needs a lot of work on this side because it let her down in Oz and at the USO qtrs along with her serve.

Volleys: Only complaint: forehand swing volley of 2000-2001 is missing.

Movement: Not as quick as she used to be. Wimbledon was the only time last year where she moved really well on the court. Other than that, her movement was average from the standards she use to have in 2000-2003.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Forehand, second serve, footwork, needs to work on the DTL BH. Hell she has to do a lot of work. She can cover up all the weaknesses when she's moving well, but when she's not, they stick out.

Nice post k-dog :yeah:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts