Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just hits me that this might be the last Olympics for Jennifer:(.
And Venus has actually been on the tour for 10 years already, I wonder if she still has what it takes to play in 2008 when she is 28. I hope she is not off the tour by then, same goes for Serena.
Other than the Williams sisters and Meghan, Laura Granville is the highest ranked American that's not likely to retire over the next 4 years. Who do you think you'll be seeing in Beijing?

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Serena will still be around...if she isn't acting or designing by then......so I suppose it will be over to Jamea Jackson, Angela Haynes and Shenay Perry to fly the flag.

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
loppy said:
I'll not be surprised if Sharapova becomes eligible as a US citizen by then.
She has said that although she lives in the US of A that she truly remains a Russian - so there is no chance that she will swop over, having said that she wasn't included on the Olympic team dispite her Wimbledon win

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
The Williams sisters will still be around I think. Perry and Harkleroad have a shot if they can play their best tennis consistently.

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So that means it's going to be....Serena + bunch of no names:(....
I guess the China Olympics will finally see a Russian girl winning the gold from American who would have held the medal for 16 years (if they win Athens).

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
A lot can change in 4 years.... who knows what up and comers make come make a big splash on the tour......

·
Registered
8,352 Posts
The simple answer is - nobody knows.

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OUT! said:
The simple answer is - nobody knows.
Correct, unlike in 2000, Americans still have the prospects of getting another gold in 2004. But they seem to be losing hope as some of the top players are approaching their retirement.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
CapFan#1 said:
A lot can change in 4 years.... who knows what up and comers make come make a big splash on the tour......
but who are they good young americans who could make a splash?

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ZAK said:
but who are they good young americans who could make a splash?
(16 to enter Olympics)
Current top 5 ITF US Junior player

14 COHEN, Julia USA 23 Mar 1989
37 SCHNACK, Yasmin USA 04 May 1988
45 MARCIO, Krysty USA 10 May 1988
54 GAMBALE, Mary USA 18 Dec 1988
76 TSANG, Katrina USA 07 Jul 1988

I'm not sure if this crop of US players are gold medal material in 4 years.
The national indoor championship will be coming up soon, let's see if we get new prospects.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
CJK said:
(16 to enter Olympics)
Current top 5 ITF US Junior player

14 COHEN, Julia USA 23 Mar 1989
37 SCHNACK, Yasmin USA 04 May 1988
45 MARCIO, Krysty USA 10 May 1988
54 GAMBALE, Mary USA 18 Dec 1988
76 TSANG, Katrina USA 07 Jul 1988

I'm not sure if this crop of US players are gold medal material in 4 years.
The national indoor championship will be coming up soon, let's see if we get new prospects.
none of those players is that good

·
Banned
89 Posts
loppy said:
I'll not be surprised if Sharapova becomes eligible as a US citizen by then.
She'll be eligible but she won't represent the USA for sure! :D

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ZAK said:
none of those players is that good
Mary Weatherholt, CC Sardinha 2003 top 2 U12.
I'm sure not a lot of people heard of them since they are just not that talented.
But you get the points, these are probably America's best bet, after that...

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
jonny84 said:
Serena will still be around...if she isn't acting or designing by then......so I suppose it will be over to Jamea Jackson, Angela Haynes and Shenay Perry to fly the flag.

There is another pair of Williams Sisters out there who may be ready
by then.

·
Banned
23,113 Posts
CapFan#1 said:
I don't think so. There is not a single big player who hasn't been known as having such potential in 2000. Players who will be elite in 2008 are those whose ability to do that you should already know by now.

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wonder how many of the top US players will be off the tour over the next 4 years.
I'm really not having a lot of hopes for that. I am starting to become more and more afraid of these so called Russian Domination. It's scary even from the sound of it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts