Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all, Congratulation for getting into the Hall of Fame to Steffi :worship: :worship:

I would like to hear what you think. I'm not using Hingis since she is the most talented player ever born in the history of tennis, hands down.

Steffi said that after seeing how hard Lucic hit, she didnt think she was as good. And now that the world has changed with everyone hitting hard and having almost more superiority in producing incredible shots than what's in Steffi's era. Who do you think are more talented than Steffi. Monica (still active playing WTT:))? Maria? Serena? Venus? Justine?

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
CJK said:
First of all, Congratulation for getting into the Hall of Fame to Steffi :worship: :worship:

I would like to hear what you think. I'm not using Hingis since she is the most talented player ever born in the history of tennis, hands down.

Steffi said that after seeing how hard Lucic hit, she didnt think she was as good. And now that the world has changed with everyone hitting hard and having almost more superiority in producing incredible shots than what's in Steffi's era. Who do you think are more talented than Steffi. Monica (still active playing WTT:))? Maria? Serena? Venus? Justine?
Now that's interesting. STEFFI is using how hard Lucic could hit as a measure of talent, and YOU say Hingis, who couldn't hit her way out of a paper bag (it'sharder than it looks) was most talented ever.

Are we supposed to go with you? Or with Steffi?

Maybe you need to define 'talent'?

Becasue themost obviuos measure is the ability to win tournaments, and you obviously didin't mean that. Otherwise you wouldn't have said Hingis was more talented than Steffi in the first place.

So what's this 'talent', you're talking about?

Hitting hard?

Variety of shots?

Mental focus?

Building points?

Dissecting opponents?

And please don't say all of them, because I warn you now it's easy to prove Hingis is NOT the most talented ever if you use all of them.

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct:). Maybe I'm a bit biased, but Martina was talented since she has the game earlier than every player in history. She could have played pro at 12. And if you ask anyone who is the most talented player in history, they'll first think of Hingis.

But you are right, so what do you think talents should be?

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
Talent is hard to define but it can't possibly be simply the ability to win tournaments because then there would be no discussion about who's the most talented player, it would simply be the player who has won the most tournaments.

·
Senior Member,
1,825 Posts
CJK said:
Correct:). Maybe I'm a bit biased, but Martina was talented since she has the game earlier than every player in history. She could have played pro at 12. And if you ask anyone who is the most talented player in history, they'll first think of Hingis.

But you are right, so what do you think talents should be?

You ARE biased. By the term 'most talented player in history' if you determine the word 'history' to mean 'the last ten years' you might be right. Try asking this question to the BFTP section and see the response you get!

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Define talent.

·
Banned
391 Posts
CJK said:

In terms of natural talent, ability and mental toughness, only one player comes to mind that is definitely better than Graf: Monica Seles.
Graf was more of a better athlete on the court while Seles was the superior shotmaker. :angel:

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Divine Suzanne:worship: :worship: :worship: OMG I saw some of her old matches on the tennis channel (it was that old tape system, but still...) and she was just as amazing and breath taking as she has been hyped to be. I mean Hingis times 10:eek: .

If you mean records, then Margaret Court is better. 2 more grand slams and comparable stats in every other department.

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
LADIEZ CHAMPION said:
In terms of natural talent, ability and mental toughness, only one player comes to mind that is definitely better than Graf: Monica Seles :angel:
yes thats why steffi won 22 slams to monica's 9 :)

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone who thinks Elena's FH is better than Steffi's is most due to her capability to hit better shots from worse position than Steffi thus more talented on her FH side. Even though I think Jen has a better FH, but I hear you guys.

·
Registered
768 Posts
To make any comparison valid we must give the active players you mentioned time, meaning (possibly) more years. Apart from her fabulous talent, Steffi was remarkable for her longevity, a bit like one Mr Agassi. Now being biased too I have dreams about one player equalling her fabulous record but on a realistic plane things are moving so fast in today's tennis that I must confess I have doubts it'll ever happen. So far anyway, I think Steffi remains unique.

Reactions: Kart

·
Banned
261 Posts
I think I'm more talented than Graf.  Unfortunately I have failed to reach my potential.. come far short of it.. a shame..

·
Banned
7,293 Posts
LADIEZ CHAMPION said:
In terms of natural talent, ability and mental toughness, only one player comes to mind that is definitely better than Graf: Monica Seles.
Graf was more of a better athlete on the court while Seles was the superior shotmaker. :angel:

And being a good athlete has nothing to do with talent?
Boy, so Carl Lewis had no talent ......

BTW, were was Monica's talent, ability and mental toughness post-96?

:p

·
Banned
7,293 Posts
Truthwillout said:
To make any comparison valid we must give the active players you mentioned time, meaning (possibly) more years. Apart from her fabulous talent, Steffi was remarkable for her longevity, a bit like one Mr Agassi. Now being biased too I have dreams about one player equalling her fabulous record but on a realistic plane things are moving so fast in today's tennis that I must confess I have doubts it'll ever happen. So far anyway, I think Steffi remains unique.

An intelligent post!

:bigclap:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts