959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently IMHO:
1) Venus
2) Lindsay
3) Serena
4) Jennifer
5) Maria

followed by Kim (who is great too but I think Maria hit harder).
Where do you rank her?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Venus and Serena hit hard but they need a high ball first. Sprem and Sharapova hit the crap out of the ball at will :eek:

1 - Sprem
2 - Sharapova
3 - Venus
4 - Serena
5 - Pierce

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Maria is close to having top 5 WTA Tour power. Maria has good power but she doesn't hit as heavy a shot as the Williams sisters, Lindsay Davenport and Jennifer Capriati do because she is much lighter than they are.

And power is somewhat overrated. I want Masha to be able to control her shots and move the ball around the court to keep her opponenents off balance.

Karolina Sprem who hit a serve 121mph at Wimbledon is near the top 5 in power, too.

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
Maria is a "min-babe" alongside Jennifer and the Belgians. give her a little more time and she'll advance into the "big babe" territory

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the cat said:
Maria is close to having top 5 WTA Tour power. Maria has good power but she doesn't hit as heavy a shot as the Williams sisters, Lindsay Davenport and Jennifer Capriati do because she is much lighter than they are.

And power is somewhat overrated. I want Masha to be able to control her shots and move the ball around the court to keep her opponenents off balance.

Karolina Sprem who hit a serve 121mph at Wimbledon is near the top 5 in power, too.
Does K-Lina hit that hard too, but a lot of Croats do anyways, esp Lucic :eek: ? I think Lindsay and even Mary hit harder than her, she is pretty light from the looks. Maria is right in the middle I think and she is only 17 thus she'll grow, do you know how much Kim weighed when she was 17?

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
Yes Sprem hits that hard. she's top 5 in the hardest hitters on the WTA tour imo as well.

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Naldo said:
Yes Sprem hits that hard. she's top 5 in the hardest hitters on the WTA tour imo as well.
harder than Jennifer and Kim? That's a pretty big complement if you ask me:).

·
Registered
664 Posts
I think once you reach the upper echelons of the WTA --- in terms of sheer power and strength --- the deciding factor becomes which of these players are able to harness that power (i.e. accuracy, placement, depth, etc...) and use it effectively against their opponent. I don't really think that having slightly less or more power makes much of a difference among these players mentioned so far --- and Maria definitely belongs here --- because it's really quite pointless if they can't make their shots. Maria is plenty strong enough right now, and I agree with "the cat", that she needs to focus on controlling her shots and placing them where she wants to; instead of hitting with sheer power, just for the sake of hitting with sheer power. The latter won't make her a better player, but the former will. :)

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Well said Atrixo. Having a fine combintation of power and precision on her shots in addition to a strong will to win is what made Maria Sharapova the 2004 Wimbledon champion.

·
Banned
89 Posts
Sharapova blew Serena off the court, overpowered her, so she's ahead of serena.

Reactions: Zhao

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
What do you mean by "hard"? Just the velocity of the shot? The really powerful players, i.e. the men, have the ability to combine high velocity with heavy spin. Few women can do that. Please reconsider your answers in this light.

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
By your own definition, that's been arguments that Kim hits with heavier spins than Lindsay thus she hit harder, so just go for what you think "hard" means

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Maria's shots are hard and accurate. That was how she got her opponents on the defensive in her Wimbledon matches. That combination is what made her groundstrokes more destructive than those of Serena or Lindsay.

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
See, if we're talking about hitting power, the men are far more powerful than the women (as a rule). They have much greater wrist strength. Some of the women can generate as much velocity as the men, but it is not a "heavy" shot like the men can hit. I suspect that only a handful of the women have the power to mix it with the men. The Williams sisters are probably ahead of everyone else.

In this light, Momo is way up there, though her power is often kept in reserve, and even she is not as powerful as Serena. I think Serena is in a class of her own in hitting power.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Maria hits hard, but i think what makes her look like she hits very hard is that she takes the ball earlier in the air than most players.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I think she is still yound and can learn and improve. I dont think she is at the Serena/Venus/Jen/Lindsay/Belgians level....but soon she will be. She definately has great talent and will be a strong competitor in the near future!! (i cant believe i just said that)

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Maria is better right now than Kim/Jennifer/Lindsay, especially Jen. I love Jenny, but she doesn't really have the same weapons and confidence as Sharapova.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
mboyle said:
Maria is better right now than Kim/Jennifer/Lindsay, especially Jen. I love Jenny, but she doesn't really have the same weapons and confidence as Sharapova.
Maria might be more confident especially now that she won Wimbledon...but i dont think hitting wise, she is better than Jen!

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
CJK said:
harder than Jennifer and Kim? That's a pretty big complement if you ask me:).
Sprem EASILY hits the ball harder than Clijsters. If she hits it harder than Jen, it can go either way, but I think Sprem hits it harder on a consistent basis than Capriati does.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts