Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She's had a pretty good year, excellent by her standards, all those semis, and titles not to mention her coveted Season Ending Championship.

Can she defend her points?
Will she win titles and Slams and make it a true great season?

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
I'd say at #3 or possibly #4

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
Yep # 3 or #4 seems a pretty good guess....´cause there aren´t places where she can earn points anymore....I mean even the best 18th is full now.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
I had a thread about this before, and I think the top 4 will look like this after Wimbledon:

1. Venus(AO and Wimbledon champ)
2. Serena(French Open champ)
3. Henin
4. Clijsters

I think Serena will go into Wimbledon as #1, but Venus will win Wimbledon and take the #1 ranking. I think Henin will be #1 between February till after the French Open.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,009 Posts
I think Kim will be #3 with Henin #1 and Serena #2 Venus is a ????

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
I think 2 or 3, I cant see her dropping from the top of the game, but I cant see her staying on top, unless she wins the open and defends her world title.

·
Registered
407 Posts
1.Henin-Hardenne
2.Clijsters
3.Serena
4.Maursmo
5.Capriati

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Kim will stay #1 until Serena and/or Venus start playing more. Justine is the only serious threat at this time, and I think she could well be #1 after the clay season next year. This is not in any way saying Venus and Serena don't have the talent to be #1, but as we've seen Serena on her current schedule must have 3 slams to keep the #1 and that's not really likely in the current climate. Still, if anyone can win 3 slams at the moment it's still Serena so maybe I'm wrong!

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Kim will catch an injury and fall down to #4 Justine will hover around the coverted #1 spot but Never ascertain it. Serena will struggle to reclaim it and will continue to pulverize the top 4, therefore making mokery of the ranking system.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Question. How exactly are the Williams going to catch up to Kim by Wimbledon with no summer hardcourt points on their totals and Serena in particular defending 2 Slams where Kim only made the Semis? I'd love if someone can explain this to me.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
disposablehero said:
Question. How exactly are the Williams going to catch up to Kim by Wimbledon with no summer hardcourt points on their totals and Serena in particular defending 2 Slams where Kim only made the Semis? I'd love if someone can explain this to me.
Kim has never had to defend this many points before. Venus failed to defend six of her titles this year because she didn't compete at the tournaments, 3 because of injury. She only has 1405 points to defend from AO until Wimbledon next year!! That's nothing!! She will probably almost double that total if she is healthy. Kim has a whopping 3262 to defend from AO to Wimbledon. Serena has 2806 to defend, but can make up significant ground if she does better on the clay. Also Serena failed to defend Scottsdale because of her knee, so she will pick that tourney up next year. If they don't catch her by Wimbledon, then most likely they will catch her before US Open 2004. I think Henin will be #1 sometime in Feb. up until after the FO, when Serena will be #1 until Venus takes the Wimbledon title and the #1 rankings.

DH, you do agree that it will be very tough for Kim to defend all of these points don't you??

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Knizzle said:
Kim has never had to defend this many points before. Venus failed to defend six of her titles this year because she didn't compete at the tournaments, 3 because of injury. She only has 1405 points to defend from AO until Wimbledon next year!! That's nothing!! She will probably almost double that total if she is healthy. Kim has a whopping 3262 to defend from AO to Wimbledon. DH, you do agree that it will be very tough for Kim to defend all of these points don't you??
Defend them all? Sure, that is tough. Of course, doing better than Semis in AO or WI would have a huge positive effect. But you are missing one thing. Indeed, 1405 points to defend is not much. However, you should keep in mind that Kim is currently MORE than two and one half THOUSAND points ahead of Venus. The only way that MIGHT happen is if the ranking system changes to "best 15" or a divisor with a minimum of no more than 16.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
disposablehero said:
Defend them all? Sure, that is tough. Of course, doing better than Semis in AO or WI would have a huge positive effect. But you are missing one thing. Indeed, 1405 points to defend is not much. However, you should keep in mind that Kim is currently MORE than two and one half THOUSAND points ahead of Venus. The only way that MIGHT happen is if the ranking system changes to "best 15" or a divisor with a minimum of no more than 16.
What you have to understand is the gap between them there is like a 2500 point gap between them now. By the end of the year Venus will have closed to about 2000 unless Clijsters has a disastrous YEC. If they start next year with a 2500 point gap, Clijsters losing 1000, and Venus gaining 1000 would bring them even. It's really not that unusual. It happened to Venus earlier this year. It's happening to Serena now.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
disposablehero said:
To be clear lets do this mathematically:

VENUS+JENCAP+236=KIM

Who cares how many points Kim has. Until she can unload all that whoopazz Venus and Serena puts on her - She's and inferior player.

Period.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
I thought so too. I'm simply pointing out that it is not so simple as it appears. Keep in mind, it is hard for Kim to lose many points. She's defending about 300 points a pop in a lot of these events, and has 200 for an 18th tournament to dump in if things go foul.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
disposablehero said:
I thought so too. I'm simply pointing out that it is not so simple as it appears. Keep in mind, it is hard for Kim to lose many points. She's defending about 300 points a pop in a lot of these events, and has 200 for an 18th tournament to dump in if things go foul.
Those reserve tournament points have to be defended also, or she won't have anything to fall back on. The points just don't stay there without Kim putting in any effort to preserve them. She definitely may have to fight for her top 2 ranking come FO, Wimby 2004.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts