Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the French Open Soap Opera is nearing its conclusion what's in store for Daniela in the singles department?

She has been slumping this year, though in my opinion not really as bad as reported. This year's French Open really rumbled up the lower half of the top 20 and a lot of movement is going to happen in the next few weeks going into Wimbledon. There is a chance that she will be knocked out of the Top 10 with the likes of Sugiyama and Zvonareva performing very well, though buffered somewhat by the similar slumping performance of Daniela's neighbors in the 9-13 seeds. That loss to Harkleroad was big. The stunt Nigel Sears pulled was even bigger. Couple that with the press going at the weight issue at every opportunity and what we have is a recipe for optimum pressure. Lately though, its been said that Daniela is starting to pick up with the pretty good doubles performance that she's been having with Chanda Rubin. I have not seen any of these matches so I really dont know how she has been playing, but I am assuming that she is getting over that loss. There are no further reports about her and Sears so I'm assuming thats been sorted out too.

I really do feel that I dont have enough data to conclude anything significant but I will say this: I've been watching the QF's and SF's and I can say that from what I have seen of Daniela's fundamental game, she can definitely play at that level. With all that has happened in the French Open I think she is ripe to start climbing out of this "slump". Has she hit rock bottom? I honestly dont know, but I am confident that after this things are going to start looking up.

What do you guys think? Note that I'm not asking if she will win a tournament after this, Im just asking your assessment on how she will probably perform after this episode of the WTA Soap Opera. :)

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
http://www.sanexheroes.com/bouquets/22/photos_1047.jpg
Caption: "Daniela smiles before smashing that wonderful racquet into the head of a hater."

:D I'm relieved to see she is feeling less pressure now. :worship:
She is having a bad year.... we must not leave her alone!!!!!
We need to stand by her side, and show our undying support! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
Just think about all the fans of the non-top ten players. Do they fucking give up? No! Never! Hehe :)

Daniela -- you'll always have my support, from the bottom of my heart. I'll never give up, and I'll always cheer for you! :D

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Tarsius said:
Has she hit rock bottom? I honestly dont know, but I am confident that after this things are going to start looking up.

What do you guys think? Note that I'm not asking if she will win a tournament after this, Im just asking your assessment on how she will probably perform after this episode of the WTA Soap Opera. :)
I share your optimism. I think she has been determined to prove to everyone that she is good enough to stay in the top ten, maybe a little too determined by playing too many tournaments and that has been detrimental to her performances in the end. We know that clay is her worst surface and this season so far has not been that bad considering. It could have been a lot worse. Last year was always going to be difficult to live up to and the fact that we saw her climb to #5 after the AO QF shows that the potential is still there. Her 'slump' since then coincided with some indifferent performances like Indian Wells and here at RG, and I think that her current ranking reflects that accurately.

Now that the clay season is finished I think a lot of weight will be lifted off of her shoulders. The pressure of trying to perform well on her worst surface is now gone and will should now see the real Daniela at EB and then Wimbledon. After that, it's back to the hard courts where she also plays well, so I'm sure she is looking forward to this half of the year more than the first half. I'm hopeful that she will now start to flourish on her preferred surfaces and begin to start enjoying herself on court again, because I don't think she has been doing that recently. She seems to be too angry too often and that also affects her play.

So to answer your question, I still don't think she's going to win anything major at the moment, but I do think we will see a new and improved Dani over the course of the second part of this year and this in turn will see her establish herself in the top ten, which I'm sure was the aim at the beginning of the year. Once this 'sophomore' year is out of the way, the end product is an established top ten player and it won't be until next year when we should expect to see Dani winning some tournaments when her potential becomes fully realised. These things take time.

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
i believe that Daniela is in a slump because of all the expectations she is having since she won Indian Wells and was #5 in the world. too much stress... she wants to please everyone but she cant...

i also believe that Daniela will climb back up... its only her 2nd-3rd year on the tour! she has lots more years to come and guys... lots more titles in her way!!! :bounce: ;)

i will always support Daniela no matter what! :worship: she has something in her and she will go far!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Daniela was voted the worlds 3rd sexiest female athlete in the South African edition of SI. :fiery: :bounce: :worship: :cool: :confused: :eek:

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
beauty_is_pink said:
i believe that Daniela is in a slump because of all the expectations she is having since she won Indian Wells and was #5 in the world. too much stress... she wants to please everyone but she cant...

i also believe that Daniela will climb back up... its only her 2nd-3rd year on the tour! she has lots more years to come and guys... lots more titles in her way!!! :bounce: ;)

i will always support Daniela no matter what! :worship: she has something in her and she will go far!
I'm sure some people were considering that Justine couldn't defeat Kim because she's skinny....... ;)

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Well, here are the options...

Jul 07 Internazionali Femminili di Palermo, ITA - She won't play here.

Jul 14 FED CUP #2** - Don't think she's playing!! We'll see!

Jul 21 Bank of the West Classic Stanford, CA, USA - Not playing here.

Jul 28 Acura Classic San Diego, CA, USA - She played here last year, and could very well choose to play again, but not committed as yet.

Aug 04 JP Morgan Chase Open Los Angeles, CA, USA - Again, she played here last year but has not commited as yet to a very long list.

Nordea Nordic Light Open Helsinki, FIN - She won't play here.

Aug 11 Rogers AT&T Cup Toronto, CAN - Committed.

Aug 18 Pilot Pen Tennis, New Haven, CT - Committed

Aug 25 US Open Flushing Meadow, NY, USA - Commited.

So without taking any enforced break, Daniela has at least a month off until July 28th. If she skipped the Acura, JP Morgan, AT&T (sorry Pinky), and the Pilot Pen, she could have two months off before the US Open. That may or may not be enough, but it's better than nothing. If she choses not to take any extra time off, she has July free and and then has to cram 4 events into August at LA, Toronto, New Haven and finally NY. That would be too much for her.

I hope that whatever she and her team chooses to do, they choose wisely and put Daniela's physical and psychological health first before any amount of prize money and rankings.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Question for those who know more about all this than me.....
What does "committed" really mean?
Is there a penalty for withdrawing after you have "committed" (except for injury)...is it a financial or rankings hit???

I don't want to get pinky all riled up by suggesting that Dani skip her Canada trip, but I'm asking this because...I want to know if DH or her team (parents, coach, agents even) decide that what is best for he right now is to take time off from playing tournaments ... is this even possible, or does she have to honor these "committments" even if it's not best for her at this time.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
fan22 said:
Question for those who know more about all this than me.....
What does "committed" really mean?
Is there a penalty for withdrawing after you have "committed" (except for injury)...is it a financial or rankings hit???

I don't want to get pinky all riled up by suggesting that Dani skip her Canada trip, but I'm asking this because...I want to know if DH or her team (parents, coach, agents even) decide that what is best for he right now is to take time off from playing tournaments ... is this even possible, or does she have to honor these "committments" even if it's not best for her at this time.

Thanks.

There can be a fine for pulling out of a tournament at the 11th hour. An early withdrawal is usually OK; a late one can be alleviated by a note from an attending physician and a rep from the WTA. If a top player is fined, the amount is usually so minimal in proportion to their earnings that it's inconseqential. Often a top player will just pull out and pay the fine up front.

In DH's case, I think the WTA would accept what happened at Wimbledon as acceptable enough reason to let her skip a few tournaments. If not, the hell with 'em!

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
i sure hope Daniela comes to Toronto... but if she doesnt want to...
i understand ... *sniff* :sad:

well we all do kno that after Wimbledon Daniela will be off until.. who knos when..

but i dont think she'll miss the US Open..

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
kim&lleytonrule said:
For some reason I thought she had committed to San diego :confused:
Well I still can't find anything on their website except where it says JHH and Kim will be there. I've found a list of players for last year, so I wonder if someone saw this and got confused. Either that, or I'm looking in the wrong place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts