Tennis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I'm a new member to the forum and I saw this Blast From The Past Forum and I just had to check it out because I love tennis history! I was just wondering if there was any free websites on the Internet where I could find coverage of the tour from the early 90's to the present? I want to say thanks for your help and you guys are doing a great job finding information about tennis history

·
25,876 Posts
Maybe this can help....

Originally Posted by Racquel
Google have launched a new Google News Archve engine that lets you search for articles that were written at the time and there are a lot of tennis ones. Most of the results seem to have a charge of $2.95 but there are quite a lot of free ones (from TIME magazine especially). The advanced options let you search for free articles only. Here's the link - http://news.google.com/archivesearch

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
I think you're pretty much at the best free site with info about tennis history! I haven't had much luck finding anything better.

IMHO the only other site with detailed info is the ITF database, which is pretty reliable for all results from the late 1970s.

Do a search for your favourite players and then maybe try and google down some of the tournies using the dates, names, results.

If you haven't used it before, here's a link to an example searches for Steffi Graf and Andre Agassi. Sure you can work out the rest from there.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Try the library too. I was able to find loads of articles there from all years searching their periodical's database. Sometimes they make me pay to get the articles, and sometimes the database lets me print for free...

There are periodical databases on the net, but so far I've not found one that lets me in like at the library. If anyone knows of a great periodicals to search for free (even if the articles are for pay), please post. I did check out the one that the other poster listed on Google, but $4.95 was a bit much when most often I can only get a short synopisis of the article to see if its worth it. At the library, depending on how I search, I can often times get more.

Good luck, and post any fun finds pretty please! :)!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Try the library too. I was able to find loads of articles there from all years searching their periodical's database. Sometimes they make me pay to get the articles, and sometimes the database lets me print for free...

There are periodical databases on the net, but so far I've not found one that lets me in like at the library. If anyone knows of a great periodicals to search for free (even if the articles are for pay), please post. I did check out the one that the other poster listed on Google, but $4.95 was a bit much when most often I can only get a short synopisis of the article to see if its worth it. At the library, depending on how I search, I can often times get more.

Good luck, and post any fun finds pretty please! :)!

I'm almost positive that the Houston Chronicle's archives are free from like 1985 forward. You have to register an account. But its well worth it. I'm almost positive that I found a lot of articles for the Hana career thread from that paper. I can't think of another major newspaper that doesn't charge you for viewing and printing articles from their archives.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I'm almost positive that the Houston Chronicle's archives are free from like 1985 forward. You have to register an account. But its well worth it. I'm almost positive that I found a lot of articles for the Hana career thread from that paper. I can't think of another major newspaper that doesn't charge you for viewing and printing articles from their archives.
Thanks Hana, I'll check it out!

p.s. Another great way to find articles, as one other poster suggested, is here. Since the WTA mod's don't mind, I've been scanning and sharing a few of mine. I hope that others will too.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Anybody here speak Spanish? I have an article (gossipy about Chris and Jimmy) from a magazine in the early 70's called Gente, and its called "El Romance del Campeon y la Campeona y de Como Les Geno El Amor." Gossipy but fun perhaps? Its from 5 de enero de 1978.

I also have one discussing homosexuality on the women's tour. I'd scan both if anyone is willing to translate.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, thanks guys. I found two websites that were really good. They were SI.com and the USA Today website. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to search their archives. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate all the great resources you guys have found. It's really amazing

·
Premium Member
10,705 Posts
Hey, thanks guys. I found two websites that were really good. They were SI.com and the USA Today website. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to search their archives. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate all the great resources you guys have found. It's really amazing

Please post as many old articles as you can. Each, I'm sure, is worth a good discussion and will add to the quality of the forum.

·
Premium Member
10,705 Posts
OrdinaryFoolsNJ,

For some reason whenever I try to reply to your post about Spanish translation my PC locks and the reply is lost.

Well, whatever -- please post those two Spanish language articles. I can readily translate them.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
OrdinaryFoolsNJ,

For some reason whenever I try to reply to your post about Spanish translation my PC locks and the reply is lost.

Well, whatever -- please post those two Spanish language articles. I can readily translate them.
Awesome! I'll do that in the next week. Thanks so much in advance!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree this is the best place to find information for free, however if you want tennis magazines/articles you should check out ebay also. I have found many magazines for as cheap as $1....it may help. Also be sure to go through charity shops and old books stores....I have found many tennis books for very cheap there aswell.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
I agree this is the best place to find information for free, however if you want tennis magazines/articles you should check out ebay also. I have found many magazines for as cheap as $1....it may help. Also be sure to go through charity shops and old books stores....I have found many tennis books for very cheap there aswell.
I agree with the charity shops and old book stores, and will include yard sales and sidewalk sales in the mix as well. A few years back I drove past a sidewalk sale only a few blocks from where I live (which is, unfortunately not the tennis mecca of the universe by any stretch). Right there in the middle of old musty coats and stacks of ragged sweaters was a box full of magazines from someone who used to live in the house, and had long since passed away (I asked the seller where they came from). As it turned out, I paid 50 cents for the entire box full of magazines, and it was a nice, hefty box full of WorldTennis issues from 1970-1979! An incredible and lucky find, but you never know what will turn up at a flea market or yard sale as far as old tennis memorabilia. It's really only collectable to a small group of historians, and most people don't know what they've got, let alone how to get it to a market that might actually pay for it. Good luck- now that you've got the bug- there's just no hope for you. A belated welcome (if you're still here)!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts