Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the results here, clearly a bad day for Britsih Tennis and British fans. Our three players hardly won more than 4 games among them, I see Keothavong retired but she didn't win a game either.

Is this a blip? Or are we destined not to produce any top 20 players anytime soon? I've noted the comments about Robson's terrible movement and when I've watched Heather Watson play, she has no power.

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
Well, at least you have Andy Murray in men. Now with Ivan Lendl as his coach, he has a very good chance of finally winning a grand slam and make the British public happy. It's difficult for any country to have top players both in the men's and women's categories. :shrug:

·
Banned
205 Posts
Well, at least you have Andy Murray in men. Now with Ivan Lendl as his coach, he has a very good chance of finally winning a grand slam and make the British public happy. It's difficult for any country to have top players both in the men's and women's categories. :shrug:
That's well and good, but he wants to win a slam.....not the US Masters

·
Banned
6,840 Posts
Looking at the results here, clearly a bad day for Britsih Tennis and British fans. Our three players hardly won more than 4 games among them, I see Keothavong retired but she didn't win a game either.

Is this a blip? Or are we destined not to produce any top 20 players anytime soon? I've noted the comments about Robson's terrible movement and when I've watched Heather Watson play, she has no power.
Anne and Elena are both older, and Anne was ill. I still think Anne has a shot to break the top 50, but I can't see her having a Peng Shuai typeof breakthrough or anything like that. Baltacha's loss is more worrying as she appeared to be healthy, and played a player at a lower level. Keothavong had a red hot Barthel to contend with.

For Laura and Hev they both have a lot to work on. Laura has more visible weapons, but Hev appears to be the harder worker, with a more complete game. They both had horrid draws, and have shown better form in slams, I wouldn't write them off just yet.

·
Banned
6,107 Posts
Or are we destined not to produce any top 20 players anytime soon?
Yup, unless Robson works her ass off.

Whatever potential the current British women have is hugely overcooked by the talent-starved tennis media in this country who just tout them to make results that they inevitably never achieve, and thus people get disappointed as they've been led to believe that these players are all far better than they actually are. If tennis were a more popular sport in this country, then maybe reporters could travel week-in, week-out on the Tour to give a more accurate representation of their standard, but as it is we just get the same, lazy "OH, SHE HAS SO MUCH POTENTIAL!!!!11!" to get our hopes up instead of anything substantial.

I also think that the LTA is doing as much as it can to mine talent at a grass-roots level, just because not that many girls in this country are encouraged to take up sport as a profession, especially once they're into their teens.

·
La Divina Assoluta
11,332 Posts
Watson is fortunate to have breeched the top 100 with her useless game. Robson is a innate striker of the ball, with considerable flair and natural timing, but it's not enough. She needs more discipline, more structure to her game, greater agility, better competitive outlook.

Some of those problems will never be fully rectified either, which makes the situation harder for her. I think the British media and British tennis fan base have to understand that these players are fairly mediocre in the grand scheme of the tour, and the pressure and hype is both damaging and unrealistic.

·
Premium Member
6,332 Posts
To be fair, Anne was ill plus Heather and Laura both had horrible draws. Yes, Heather and Laura (in particular) played terribly but these matches are hardly respective of what they CAN do. I don't think these losses will do much to their confidences- if anything I think it will spur them on to work harder. I hope Heather takes positives as her loss was particularly brutal but Vika was playing unbelievable tennis. I'm confident that these girls will have a good year but I sense Bally will fall in the rankings in 2012. Come the end of the year, I expect Heather around the 50 mark. As for the others, only time will tell.

We have a lot of players pushing up the rankings- Naomi Broady, Tara Moore and Francesca Stephenson are rising and extremely talented (In my opinion).

There are also lot of talented players around the age of 16...Katie Boulter in particular is going to be star.

·
Banned
205 Posts
Мотя.;20765481 said:
Yup, unless Robson works her ass off.

Whatever potential the current British women have is hugely overcooked by the talent-starved tennis media in this country who just tout them to make results that they inevitably never achieve, and thus people get disappointed as they've been led to believe that these players are all far better than they actually are. If tennis were a more popular sport in this country, then maybe reporters could travel week-in, week-out on the Tour to give a more accurate representation of their standard, but as it is we just get the same, lazy "OH, SHE HAS SO MUCH POTENTIAL!!!!11!" to get our hopes up instead of anything substantial.

I also think that the LTA is doing as much as it can to mine talent at a grass-roots level, just because not that many girls in this country are encouraged to take up sport as a profession, especially once they're into their teens.
Nobody(well hardly anybody) in the UK plays tennis...very few watch tennis(bar about 20-30 on here). All the LTA does is create 'Jobs-For-The-Boys'....it's never gonna change, at grass roots level there's nothing. They hired Pascal(I forget his name, some French guy) anyway, first thing he said was 'Go get me ALL the names of the people who play tennis in the UK'....his aid came back, threw the list on his table and he said...'I asked for all the names, is that it!?'....'Yes, that's it' his aid said....He threw his head back and laughed, then he said 'Fuck that! We've no chance' (in French)

You just gotta laugh because what we have now is, they very people promoting the game....were the ones who discriminated with their CC and club tie attitude for years....

It's not just the UK....look at the USA, where are all the up-and-coming stars there? All their acadamies are full of Ova's

·
Registered
133 Posts
Baltacha's loss was embarrassing, but other than that I'm not too worried. Heather was poor against Vika, but I know for sure she is much better than she showed. I didn't see Laura's match, so can't comment on how she played, but I would have expected her to win more games than she did, even a set maybe. She did have some good wins in qualifying though, and I think she will be pushing for top 50 by the end of the year. Anne can be excused because she was ill.

·
Registered
40,090 Posts
In his playing days, Lendl was a man of habit and strict structure
I think he personally prefers calm around him.

I just don't see Lendl being effective in this kind of environment

·
Registered
40,090 Posts
The problem with British tennis is that we applaud mediocrity.
I could be off, but it seems to me, the brits for fear of being disappointed, have settled for a low expectation logic.

This is in contrast to the Americans, who come hard on their champion when they don't come thru.
Americans have always believed that their best have the goods to be the best in the world, the brits, not so much

·
Registered
102 Posts
^Perhaps I should re-phrase then. The LTA throws money at players who play appallingly and then are praised for making the 2nd round of a tournament and its always the same excuse "they will get better and they're still maturing" especially with Heather Watson and Laura Robson

·
Registered
102 Posts
I could be off, but it seems to me, the brits for fear of being disappointed, have settled for a low expectation logic.

This is in contrast to the Americans, who come hard on their champion when they don't come thru.
Americans have always believed that their best have the goods to be the best in the world, the brits, not so much
You hit the nail on the head. The LTA seems to be so scared of telling players they're not good enough

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
Ffs, we had 4 girls in the main draw after years of being lucky to have someone win a set in qualifying.

They are not world beaters but they are making the best of the talent they have, and working hard. players who break the top 100 deserve more respect, it's a damn fine achievment wherever you are from.

Yes today was a disaster, but it's not the end of the world.

Anyone who though Laura or Heather would win, or that Bally or Anne will ever reach the QF of a Slam is an idiot. It won't happen. Stop expecting it to.

Just let them work and train and play and support them as they try to achieve what they can in the game. Stop putting them on a fake pedestal just to knock them off. All 4 have achieved more than most girls who set off trying to be a pro will ever do.

British tennis has been improving, and I think it will continue to do so.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts