Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been awhile since I saw her on any commitment list. The biggest mystery is that she didn't play OZ and there was no mention of her at all as being injured.....No one seems to care about her and that sucks!!!!

I think the last time she was on the tour was when she threw up at the USopen 2001 and then she disappeared...

Anyone with info please respond.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Someone posted recently that she was in qualifying for Scottsdale and was planning on playing Indian Wells. Sadly, her ranking has kind of gone the way of Conchita's, but like, a ton worse. I assume it is an injury, but I don't really know that. She is one of the few (former) top tennis players I actually kind of feel sorry for, she was really hitting her stride in early '96 and that wrist injury, she never really got the momentum back.

Maybe she will rip up the draw at Scottsdale. She did beat Hingis at Indian Wells in '99 and gave Graf an awful time in the semis, so you don't know what she can do.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I think it's a knee injury? But I agree that it's very irritating that there has been no news on this. After all, she's a former top 10 player.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
I'm appalled at the lack of coverage. :mad:

Chanda is one of the nicest, generous, and most talented girls on tour (she's always doing charity work) yet she rarely gets any recognition. I've been trying to find out something for weeks yet no one seems to know anything. I'm suspecting she's recovering from injuries but I have no idea when she's expected to return. Maybe I should write the WTA.

We miss you Chanda....hurry back! :kiss:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah.. that's too bad :sad:

Yup, GoSandrine...

They need to give the fans more info on their players... not only top players.. but the other players who might be missing in action and stuffs..

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Well the good news is, if Chanda can put some good results together she can easily rise back up the rankings. She will have fewer points to defend in the upcoming months then last year so stay positive.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know that she would have nearly zero points to defend and it would be great to see her make a run for the top 10 again but in the meantime, where is she?

When players are injured, it's up on the websites like cnn and there has been no word on her at all....I hope she didn't retire and didn't tell us....

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Maccerdel your are reading my mind..:) I was going to post this topic yesterday.

Anyway there is a little bit about Chanda in this weeks tennis magazine. In the Chris Everet section. She mentions Chanda and The Williams family and their charity work:) Nothing about her injury or anything but at least she was mentioned.

Chanda get that ranking up.. you can do it:)

Fearless Chanda Rulez!!:):)

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
She withdrew from Hobart, the Australian Open, and Tokyo on the same day (January 3rd), citing a reoccurence of her left knee injury. She was the first player out of Oz. It's in the WTA injury reports, which currently list her as "rehabilitating". (They always list players that have been out for while in a similar fashion until they return.) I reported it in my club even before it appeared on the jury report.
She played some indoor events last fall, and did fairly well. She has less than 50 points to defend between now and Eastbourne. If she's healthy, she has a great chance to move up. She never plays the winter indoor circuit, so that's why she's been out for so long. She has previously committed for Scottsdale, Indian Wells, and Sarasota. So hopefully we'll be seeing a lot of her soon.

I saw the mention of player charitable efforts in the latest Tennis, and frankly, it pissed me off. Just a quick line about Chanda having a foundation. It made her sound like a typical athlete who just throws a few bucks around to make themselves feel better, and ignored the countless hours she devotes to numerous causes. Hands-on devotion, not just throwing some money at them. Yet she got mentioned behind Roddick's charitable effort, which consisted of a fundraising exhibition for the exclusive, private high school he attended. (Talk about your worthy causes. :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree Brian. I totally agree with the charity part.

Thanks for the info on Chanda and I hope she makes a run for the top 10 and spice up the rankings race.

·
Registered
16,198 Posts
She's such a good player, I hope she will be back soon :)

And she and Els make such a good doubles team!

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Brian I hear yah on that bit about the charity issue. Atleast though hey mentioned her.. when I saw her name my eyes popped out of my head. I NEVER hardly see her name in print these days. Your right though that crap about Rodick was so stupid. But they love kising his ass, so it's is to be expected.:(

·
Banned
2,623 Posts
Thanks for the update on Chanda, Brian!
I hope to see her return soon. She was never the same after that injury in 1996, but she nearly reached the top 10 again in 2000 but then had another injury-filled year again last year. I hope this year she can return healthy and get up the rankings again. :D

As for the charity thing, Andy Roddick almost sounds like the LTA... giving money to money!!!!
It's a shame they don't recognize Chanda's charity efforts because I know she does a lot.

Get well soon Chanda, we miss you! :bounce:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CiCi Bonus Baby said:
I hope Chanda comes back better than ever.
It's nice to see chanda back better than ever, but why isn't she still playing with Els?

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
Dawn Marie said:
Maccerdel your are reading my mind..:) I was going to post this topic yesterday.

Anyway there is a little bit about Chanda in this weeks tennis magazine. In the Chris Everet section. She mentions Chanda and The Williams family and their charity work:) Nothing about her injury or anything but at least she was mentioned.

Chanda get that ranking up.. you can do it:)

Fearless Chanda Rulez!!:):)
IS IT THAT DIFFICULT TO SPELL THE NAME OF ONE OF THE GREATEST FEMALE TENNIS PLAYERS THAT EVER LIVED? CHRIS EVERT. EVERT. EVERT.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts