Tennis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The girl, who once ranked just inside the top 100, I think is down to 421! What has happened to her?

·
Premium Member
182,035 Posts
i miss her
she made a pretty big mistake playing too many WTA events at start of 2002 instead of mixing in challengers too
confidence went down
lost fitness too

plus she's now married so i doubt she comes back into singles full-time again :bigcry:

Reactions: Barrie_Dude

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
I think she married her former doubles partner`s brother, Wayne Black... :confused: Not sure!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Irina has officially retired from tennis. TBE is possibly right in that she should have maybe played less WTA events and more challengers in 2002, but you might be interested to know that whilst she was working very hard and practising, she was constatntly feeling tired , and it wasn't until just before Roland Garros last year that she discovered she had glandular fever. Doctors reckon she may have been ill as far back as Tokyo, just after the Australian Open. She has also had problems with neck and back injuries, so really struggled to get back on track again:-(
On a positive note, she married Wayne Black in her home city of Almaty, Kazakhstan, on 12th July:))

Any of you who were at the U.S Open may have spotted her, although many people also mistake her for her good friend, Dinara Safina!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts