Tennis Forum banner
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Yes I like her too, but she has fallen into this category. Her game can drive even the best crazy, though.
This week she just went all the way to Lima, PERU after losing 1st round of Indian Wells quallies and lost in the second round of a 25K....

She is a mother and 34 and since the US Open she has been flying around barely picking up wins.

35 - US Open (lost first round quallies)
35 - 25K Collonge Bellerive , Switzerland lost 2R
36- 125K Karlsruhe Germany - lost 1R
37 - 60KH Caldas da rainha Portugal - lost 2R
38 - 25K Santarem Portugal - lost 2R
39 - 25K Lisbon Portugal - lost 2R
40 - Indian Wells quallies - lost 1R
41 - 25K Lima Peru - lost 2R
42 - 80K Macon, USA - She is on the list of quallies for here now too....

I saw her play in Tokyo 100K and then I wondered what she was doing there vulturing but now it has gotten so much worse and getting to a 100K SF right now would be amazing for her.

So I don't know if she is a scrub in the depths of a bad slump since she came back to tour or she has now fallen definitely into the category of journeywoman and this is her life now away from the WTA and Grand Slams......kinda sad, playing every single week hardly picking up wins on any level.

·
Super Moderator
22,917 Posts
This week she just went all the way to Lima, PERU after losing 1st round of Indian Wells quallies and lost in the second round of a 25K....

She is a mother and 34 and since the US Open she has been flying around barely picking up wins.

I saw her play in Tokyo 100K and then I wondered what she was doing there vulturing but now it has gotten so much worse and getting to a 100K SF right now would be amazing for her.

So I don't know if she is a scrub in the depths of a bad slump since she came back to tour or she has now fallen definitely into the category of journeywoman and this is her life now away from the WTA and Grand Slams......kinda sad, playing every single week hardly picking up wins on any level.
She’s certainly clocked up her air miles. When I watched her USO qualies match, she really wasn’t in any sort of good form, putting it politely. A far cry from the form that took her to that title in Mallorca. Right now, she does fit the description of a journey woman very well.

·
Registered
15,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·

I was surprised to see her name in some bookies as a heavy underdog against an opponent whose name I've never seen before, but I guess they were right as she lost that match I think.

·
Registered
11,942 Posts
Journeywoman, in my mind, is a player whom you aren't surprised reaches the R32 of a major, because she can maybe hit a hot streak and knock out a #20-32 seed, or she can come through a section where a more mercurial player does the same, but you ARE surprised makes the R16, and yet she has done so, maybe more than once. She can MAYBE reach the top 30, but she'll never reach top 20.

Cirstea, Sasnovich, Giorgi, van Uytvanck...

It's a step up from Arantxa Rus, but a step down from Alison Riske. How does that sound?

Also, you have to be "of a certain age" to be a journeywoman. There's a weathered quality to a player's career required to be a journeywoman.

Camila Giorgi in 2014? Not a journeywoman. Camila Giorgi in 2021? A journeywoman.
I don't agree, I would call all these players the level above journeywomen. Journeywomen basically exist to fill out the draw as non-seeds in WTAs and slams so top players have an easy-ish first/second round opponent to beat, in order to get their games into focus before they start to play players of some quality in the low seeds round, third round of a slam or larger WTA premier. If the journeywoman takes a set off a seed, that is usually a bad sign that that seed is in trouble and not long for the tournament unless she can raise her level for the next matches; if the journeywoman beats the seed, that is a total humiliation for that seed. Remember when Madison Keys lost to Rodina at Wimbledon, it had a toe curling blushing embarrassment factor about it, the whole Jelena Dokic quote about Rita Kuti Kis is the classic example of that sense of humiliation at losing to a journeywoman level player being voiced.

I don't think losing to Cirstea, Giorgi or even Sasnovich has the same embarrassment factor as all of these players have the games and the weapons to trouble top players when they play their best tennis, the problem they have is maintaining this level throughout a match, a tournament, a season, which is why their ranking suffers. Kaia Kanepi similarly has been a top 20 player and has reached numerous GS quarter-finals, so she is way more of a 'dangerous floater' player than a journeywoman. Journeywomen are the sorts of players that top players should never lose to, even if they are playing badly, because they are the basic/ entry WTA level of player; if you can't beat them, who can you beat?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I think a jurneywoman is a player who entered 30-40 tournaments/season for multiple consecutive years, but still hovered in the lower part of Top 100, with maybe one visit just close to the Slam seeds area (maybe even a seeded place, if enough player above were injured) and 1-2 International finals or wins.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
15,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Voracova is the peak journeywoman. She's been on tour for almost two decades now but with fairly meagre success.
Voracova is still playing?! Don't tell me that Birnerova is too?

I'd think that Voracova is playing doubles as I barely follow it.

·
Registered
15,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
I think a jurneywoman is a player who entered 30-40 tournaments/season for multiple consecutive years, but still hovered in the lower part of Top 100, with maybe one visit just close to the Slam seeds area (maybe even a seeded place, if enough player above were injured) and 1-2 International finals or wins.
So Tatjana Maria fits the bill, when she was ranked around her CHR (in the lower part of the top 50 ranking) she was playing above 30 events per year, that's how she maintained her good ranking by mixture of winning matches here or there on the main tour, winning ITF events of the higher tier and won a MM tournament on grass. She has never made it past the R2 at the GS level despite playing a lot of those.

Reactions: aspyrin
81 - 93 of 93 Posts