Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Banned
15,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it 'je na sais quoi' or simply a by-product of long term middling results and ranking?

I think Madison Brengle fits the category pretty well, I like her because of her hilarious personality, has a lovely backhand imho and I am happy for her when she wins matches. You just know though she won't ever contend for the big titles, you don't expect her in later stages of tournaments above ITF level and every win at a WTA level is a bonus.

Reactions: Hanan Ubis

·
Registered
21,116 Posts
I don’t favour the word scrub.

The phrase journey women for me has changed over the years with the dramatic increase in prize money - I think you have to be ranked quite low now to be labelled a journey woman. Tomova would be a good example.

I remember back in the 90’s the likes of Frazier & Dragomir would be called journey women, especially in the daily Mail. They were ranked about 15 in the world at the time.

That’s how much perspectives have changed.

·
Registered
16,579 Posts
cornut? she's very entertaining

and kanepi is a massive fave on this forum

·
Registered
4,338 Posts

The phrase journey women for me has changed over the years with the dramatic increase in prize money - I think you have to be ranked quite low now to be labelled a journey woman. Tomova would be a good example.

I remember back in the 90’s the likes of Frazier & Dragomir would be called journey women, especially in the daily Mail. They were ranked about 15 in the world at the time.

But those days a number 1 or 2 losing before the final so even semi was considered a total fail.

·
Banned
15,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

The word scrub definitely has derisive connotations so I agree. Journeywoman much less.

·
Rise up from ignorance
20,603 Posts
Madison Brengle is a textbook journeywoman (not my favorite though :p ).

A bunch of ITF titles in local environement, usually ranked high enough to qualify for GS MD and never having any noteworthy deep runs at a big event (she has one R4 at GS level). It doesn't get any more journeywoman-ish than Brengle.

Reactions: theperson and Perun

·
Rise up from ignorance
20,603 Posts
Oh, and since Brengle is a textbook journeywoman, it's not quite the bottom level. Julia Cohen was a scrub. The most obvious choice for me.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
I googled ‘better word for scrub’ - this is what the search returned:

• scour
  • dump
  • junk
  • undergrowth

Maybe undergrowth?
Definitely not junk. That's a drugs addict here.(not sure if it's also used in other languages)

1 - 20 of 93 Posts