Tennis Forum banner

121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
24,081 Posts
As someone pointed out in another thread, she can't be because she doesn't have a record above any ot the other all-time greats so far. She needs to get to 25 slams and then people will be calling her the GOAT. Still won't be true when all the other statistics and records are taken into account though.
;) That was me. And here I am having Graf fans jumping down my throat calling me a "crazy Seles fan".

·
Registered
804 Posts
People going for Serena in this Tread in order to paint Graf classy, some even come for Venus, can Graf not be classy on her own? or Serena is the Benchmark for everything? Let Graf be Graf and Serena be Serena. Because we don't know how Graf would have reacted if she was cheated/robbed on the courts so many times or gone through what Serena has gone through, she may have developed different kinds of self-deference mechanism, who knows.
Although it may have happened, I can't ever remember Graf threatening to stuff a ball down a line judge's throat, or going after an umpire the way Williams went after Carlos Ramos when he was only doing his job (whether or not coaching was going on is irrelevant to the totally classLESS way she and her supporters behaved).

And I'm quite sure that Graf would have got MORE crappy linecalls in her career that Williams ever did, because there was no Hawkeye around to help correct any mistakes.

·
Registered
229 Posts
;) That was me. And here I am having Graf fans jumping down my throat calling me a "crazy Seles fan".
As a Graf fan, I understandably wanted her to beat Seles but I Always quite liked Seles from the beginning. I always thought she was a bit nuts, but in a good way haha.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm glad you made this thread though, it reminded me of just how amazing Steffi was and have spent the last few days Looking at old YouTube Videos of some of her best moments!

And I noticed that she gave mostly very warm handshakes, hugs and kisses to players such as Seles, Mary Joe Fernandez and Sanchez-Vicario.

·
Registered
63 Posts
^ It was considered bad form of her not to have mentioned Seles in her French Open speech at the time.

Graf and Seles were never friendly. That US Open handshake above was fine because Graf won, you can be sure there would have been no hug had she lost. I found it distasteful that she ran to her family first before shaking Seles’ hand in that match. It was Monica’s 2nd tournament back and their first match since the stabbing.
Which Seles should have won, btw.....had the correct call been made she would have won the first set. Replay showed her serve was an ace.

·
Registered
330 Posts
As someone pointed out in another thread, she can't be because she doesn't have a record above any ot the other all-time greats so far. She needs to get to 25 slams and then people will be calling her the GOAT. Still won't be true when all the other statistics and records are taken into account though.
unfortunately, you only read my response, but not the post I quoted, anyway, nothing new, whenever Serena is concerned, you don't know any logic. .

·
Registered
229 Posts
Pancake, which part of the content was against the rules of the Forum? I'd like to know so I don't make the same mistake. Use of drugs is discussed here normally so am not sure what the problem was?

In fact I have just read through the site rules and I don't see anything that I said that went against the site rules so please explain?

·
Administrator
64,970 Posts
I think you're referring to the vote regarding FREEZING Monica's ranking after she was stabbed. The players were not in favor of that. I don't remember if Graf even voted though. The WTA could have made it clear to Monica that when she came back she'd share the #1 ranking with whomever was at the top spot. She might have appreciated that, but it has nothing to do with Graf.
I seem to remember that being reported that 19 of the top 20 (all bar Sabatini) voted against it.

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
LMAO — everyone with a Seles story needs a to undergo a polygraph test, cuz at this rate they can't be trusted to tell the truth even once.

Which Seles should have won, btw.....had the correct call been made she would have won the first set. Replay showed her serve was an ace.
Did you get that also from your still unnamed crackpot, imaginary "autobiography"?

·
Registered
3 Posts

I think it's fair to say that she was one of the biggest sore losers in the history of this sport; it wasn't one or two isolated incidents, it was day in and day out. Someone like Serena bothers to swallow her pride for a few moments and be nice to her opponent at the net, Graf giving a decent handshake after losing would basically be reason enough to stop the presses. So where does the notion that she's classy come from?
I can’t help but feel that the stabbing of Monica Seles was planned. Without Seles it’s pretty much a monopoly for Graf

·
Registered
3 Posts

I think it's fair to say that she was one of the biggest sore losers in the history of this sport; it wasn't one or two isolated incidents, it was day in and day out. Someone like Serena bothers to swallow her pride for a few moments and be nice to her opponent at the net, Graf giving a decent handshake after losing would basically be reason enough to stop the presses. So where does the notion that she's classy come from?
You can't just pull examples out of thin air to make a point. I saw Steffi several times over her early career in Florida matches. She comported herself with poise and maturity. What are your metrics for this criterion? On the one hand, you have that ungrateful champ, Serena Williams. She, of the death threats, crying, yelling at chair umpires and linesmen/women, and related history, that has to be one of the more ironic examples of poor sportsmanship....from a "celebrated" champ of the WTA. On the other hand, you have a Ash Barty, a current champion who for the times I have watched and seen her perform, she exhibits perfect court-side manner, even when losing, graciously shaking hands with victor, and not bad-mouthing anyone during post-match pressers. Graff was competitive, yes, but her character on court was never an embarrassment for Deutschland or the USA. We've got a few contemporary players that are wearing out fans' patience and tolerance for bad behavior. We also are exalting a few of the younger, immature and emotionally fragile women and creating unrealistic expectations for behavior and world vision because of the ripening of these women physically with their games. Your comment, sir, is a tad short-sighted.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Graf was a horrible loser. Have you read Seles' book about how she trashed her racket against lockers after Seles beat her in straights in her home tournament. Also, how about Graf refusing to visit Seles in the hospital after the stabbing. Classy my a#$. Don't liker, never did. She better thank Gunter Parche or else she would probably have only half the slams she ended up with, by default. Seles had her number and I enjoyed EVERY BIT OF IT.
She did visit Monica. Both Graf and Seles said said in later interviews. Why are you making stuff up?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Lol at this thread. She certainly didn’t like losing that’s true but commentators loved her and always praised her classiness. As far as I recall, she never threatened to shove a racket down anybody’s throat. Never called umpires ugly. Never screamed at umpires demanding them to apologise to her. Never stole the limelight from someone’s first slam win and reduced them to tears...
The burn of all burns. Thank you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's not so much a case of Graf being classy, it's more a case of Graf not being embarrassing, I think in people's heads because they are always comparing her to Serena because of their similar level, records, GOAT status debates etc, and that then extends into behaviour, Serena has a long history of public freak outs, yelling at the top of her voice, loud grunts/screams/come ons! on court, etc, and then people look back at Graf and that was never the case, hence Graf being called classy. There is hardly any case of winners in any elite sport being good losers, that's why they're winners, they can't accept defeat.

121 - 140 of 144 Posts