Tennis Forum banner

101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
I think it's fair to say that she was one of the biggest sore losers in the history of this sport; it wasn't one or two isolated incidents, it was day in and day out. Someone like Serena bothers to swallow her pride for a few moments and be nice to her opponent at the net, Graf giving a decent handshake after losing would basically be reason enough to stop the presses. So where does the notion that she's classy come from?
It actually is exactly that = one or two isolated incidents.

That's why you were able to provide a grand total of only one evidence.

Now if your claim is that Steffi wasn't flawless and classy all 100% of the time; in a lifetime of tennis court appearances — then hooray for you [insert Pelosi clap].

You have successfully proved that Steffi is human and therefore not perfect. Congratulations.

·
Registered
24,012 Posts
Steffi was down a set and a break and acted professionally. Hingis was up a set and a break and behaved the way she did.
How does that change what I said? :rolleyes:
Instead of being down love-15, she went ahead 30-love. I'd keep my cool too. She was only down 0-2. Hardly a huge lead when you consider she was being gifted half a game.
I do like her line, "Are we going to have a chat or are we going to play tennis?" Hingis should've listened to her. When has the referee ever reversed a call? Sitting down when you're ahead and losing the whole crowd was such a bush league mistake.

·
Registered
24,012 Posts
I dont care what the NY Times says, I know what her autobiography says, which is the source i'm referencing. Again, perhaps you should read it for yourself. As to the reason for this post regarding Graf's classiness, she wasnt. She was simply the beneficiary of a deranged fan who hated Seles for beating her. and she did nothing. I dont like her, never liked and never will....Carry on.
I think you're referring to the vote regarding FREEZING Monica's ranking after she was stabbed. The players were not in favor of that. I don't remember if Graf even voted though. The WTA could have made it clear to Monica that when she came back she'd share the #1 ranking with whomever was at the top spot. She might have appreciated that, but it has nothing to do with Graf.

·
Registered
37,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
It actually is exactly that = one or two isolated incidents.

That's why you were able to provide a grand total of one evidence.

Now if your claim is that Steffi wasn't flawless and classy all 100% of the time; in a lifetime of tennis court appearances — then hooray for you [insert Pelosi clap].

You have successfully proved that Steffi is an imperfect human. Congratulations.
It was the norm, that one was just especially nasty.

·
Registered
200 Posts
^ It was considered bad form of her not to have mentioned Seles in her French Open speech at the time.

Graf and Seles were never friendly. That US Open handshake above was fine because Graf won, you can be sure there would have been no hug had she lost. I found it distasteful that she ran to her family first before shaking Seles’ hand in that match. It was Monica’s 2nd tournament back and their first match since the stabbing.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
^ It was considered bad form of her not to have mentioned Seles in her French Open speech at the time.

Graf and Seles were never friendly. That US Open handshake above was fine because Graf won, you can be sure there would have been no hug had she lost. I found it distasteful that she ran to her family first before shaking Seles’ hand in that match. It was Monica’s 2nd tournament back and their first match since the stabbing.
Ah, given complete lack of evidence for the real thing, we now move on to imaginary bitchy handshakes and hugs that "woulda coulda shoulda" existed.

This thread reminds me of the Clijsters-truthers among the Serena fanbase: "Kim can't be that nice for real — she must be a devil in disguise. In fact she's so evil that she's talented at hiding her bad girl nature...........

·
Registered
7 Posts
You seem fun.

I’ve read Seles’ book more than once and don’t remember her trashing her rackets after losing to Monica in Berlin. Also Graf did visit Seles in the hospital. Monica recounts it in her book, saying something like “she didn’t stay long because she had to go play the final.”
Again Monica wasn't the one who told that wall story. It was Steffi herself in the Stern in june 1990 who told that story. It had nothing to do with Monica or the loss anyway. She was fed up with the German boulevardzeitungen who were haunting her all week because of Peter Graf and his supposed child.

·
Registered
7 Posts
and about Steffi not talking about Monica at the french open 1993. Monica's supposed best friend Mary Joe Fernandez did neither as far as I remember.

·
Registered
13,017 Posts
It should also be noted that the later-time biggest Seles supporter Navratilova also voted against freezing her #1 ranking. Of course, it was at the time it looked like Monica was going to break her records instead of Steffi.

·
Premium Member
4,471 Posts
Again Monica wasn't the one who told that wall story. It was Steffi herself in the Stern in june 1990 who told that story. It had nothing to do with Monica or the loss anyway. She was fed up with the German boulevardzeitungen who were haunting her all week because of Peter Graf and his supposed child.
Makes total sense. Thanks for clearing that up!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
This thread reminds me of the Clijsters-truthers among the Serena fanbase: "Kim can't be that nice for real — she must be a devil in disguise. In fact she's so evil that she's talented at hiding her bad girl nature...........
This bashing in TF against Graf can only come from Serena fanbase, after AO they´re afraid she will not win 24 and even if Court is the one above her in total slams, Graf is the real candidate as GOAT if Serena doesn´t distance herself with enough slam difference.

Get over it people, Graf won 22 slams fair and square and the stab incident was not as relevant for that as many romanticize, she was classy and nice person as well

·
Registered
24,012 Posts
It should also be noted that the later-time biggest Seles supporter Navratilova also voted against freezing her #1 ranking. Of course, it was at the time it looked like Monica was going to break her records instead of Steffi.
I don't even think reasonable Seles fans would expect her ranking to be frozen, but to my knowledge, the WTA should have communicated with Monica that when she came back she would be co-number-1. That likely would have done a world of good.

·
Registered
327 Posts
People going for Serena in this Tread in order to paint Graf classy, some even come for Venus, can Graf not be classy on her own? or Serena is the Benchmark for everything? Let Graf be Graf and Serena be Serena. Because we don't know how Graf would have reacted if she was cheated/robbed on the courts so many times or gone through what Serena has gone through, she may have developed different kinds of self-deference mechanism, who knows.

·
Registered
327 Posts
This bashing in TF against Graf can only come from Serena fanbase, after AO they´re afraid she will not win 24 and even if Court is the one above her in total slams, Graf is the real candidate as GOAT if Serena doesn´t distance herself with enough slam difference.

Get over it people, Graf won 22 slams fair and square and the stab incident was not as relevant for that as many romanticize, she was classy and nice person as well
Serena already distanced herself she won 23, and YES. Serena is not a candidate for GOAT, she is the GOAT.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Plus, it’s all well and good for Serena and Venus and others to give a good handshake at the net, but it then becomes somewhat meaningless when she then in the press conference says she only lost because she was playing at 10 percent, or because ‘Serena’ didn’t show up today etc. That is the definition of lack of class.

At least they are honest people.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
"Halfway on" anybody watching that match knows Serena was less than a quarter of what she's capable of doing. I could have beaten her with the way she played, spraying errors every other shot. Carry on.
Oh pleeeeeze.

She's 38, out of shape and grossly underestimated Wang. That's it. Whether it was 1/4 or 1/2, Serena lost to the better player that day and Serena's fans need to realize she isn't the same Serena. Sucks but time marches on steadily and cruelly.

I love irony. This thread is about Graf's class and some of Serena fans are saying that Serena's recent major losses are because she wasn't "On". Great judges of class, those people.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Serena already distanced herself she won 23, and YES. Serena is not a candidate for GOAT, she is the GOAT.
As someone pointed out in another thread, she can't be because she doesn't have a record above any ot the other all-time greats so far. She needs to get to 25 slams and then people will be calling her the GOAT. Still won't be true when all the other statistics and records are taken into account though.

101 - 120 of 138 Posts