Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
37,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I think it's fair to say that she was one of the biggest sore losers in the history of this sport; it wasn't one or two isolated incidents, it was day in and day out. Someone like Serena bothers to swallow her pride for a few moments and be nice to her opponent at the net, Graf giving a decent handshake after losing would basically be reason enough to stop the presses. So where does the notion that she's classy come from?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Rose-tinted glasses I guess? She always carried herself quite professionally but the cracks definitely showed when she lost.

Also there wasn't all the social media pressure. These days if someone dares to show any disappointment during a handshake they end up on a youtube video with a million views and suddenly have thousands of people calling for their execution online.. meanwhile Graf could just give her sour grapes handshake, walk off court, and no one would really care.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Lol at this thread. She certainly didn’t like losing that’s true but commentators loved her and always praised her classiness. As far as I recall, she never threatened to shove a racket down anybody’s throat. Never called umpires ugly. Never screamed at umpires demanding them to apologise to her. Never stole the limelight from someone’s first slam win and reduced them to tears...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Plus, it’s all well and good for Serena and Venus and others to give a good handshake at the net, but it then becomes somewhat meaningless when she then in the press conference says she only lost because she was playing at 10 percent, or because ‘Serena’ didn’t show up today etc. That is the definition of lack of class.

·
Premium Member
37,894 Posts
I think it's fair to say that she was one of the biggest sore losers in the history of this sport
I stopped reading right here. But coming from Sammo, one of the hysterical trolls of this place...

·
Premium Member
27,207 Posts
She is known for being one of the sorest losers, just watch youtube videos and her classy handshakes after her losses

·
Registered
24,015 Posts
Well, she didn't lose very often. :unsure:

I think people really admired her professionalism and approach back then. When you played such imperious tennis and combined that with flashy tennis and great fitness, you didn't have to be a likable character (or charismatic) to be respected and admired.

She was definitely a sore loser though. I think she's comparable to Navratilova in that way.

·
Registered
37,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
15,500 Posts
she's definitely one of the sorest loser, didn't she try to skip us open trophy ceremony when she had that ONE loss against sabatini?

but her hard work, and i think her demeanor on the court contributes to that classy image. tho, who rly cares lol. it's what you want to believe, as we can see from the posts above

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I remember she was quite rude to Hingis in their famous RG match as well, but she got all the credit for being the classy one. Maybe I don't remember it correctly, but that's what it felt like when I watched it live.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
She was rude to me that one time I beat her at Madison Square Garden when she was running a 103 degree temperature, was vomiting in the flower pots in between points, had a broken foot and the doctor was at courtside yelling at her to get off the court as her condition was life-threatening, but she screamed at him, 'Do you know how humiliating it would be if I lost to this chick with an afro!'

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
I remember Hingis been the classless one, however she was so young, so at the time because I was quiet young, I excused her behaviour.

I remember she was quite rude to Hingis in their famous RG match as well, but she got all the credit for being the classy one. Maybe I don't remember it correctly, but that's what it felt like when I watched it live.
I made you.
:eek::oops:

Re: TWAT 2016!!! - Friday - Bronze Medal Match

And I'm gonna do everything in my power so that he becomes the next TWAT. :eek:h:

I always get my revenge. 👼

@Hugues Daniel It's your fucking funeral.

·
Registered
8,857 Posts
The whole gang’s here. BFTP thread in GM brings all the 2000s squad to the yard and nobody has changed one bit - cranky and delightful. Love ya guys!

1 - 20 of 138 Posts