Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know this has been discussed before, but its been a while, so I figured why not ask again ;)

Some of us love our faves so much that when they retire, watching tennis is just not the same, and we never quite follow it with as much passion again.

For me though, this is not the case. I have had a few beloved faves that have retired but I have moved on to new players, and I imagine this will continue. I have followed tennis all my life pretty much, so I dont think it will change! But yeah, when Iva retires (hopefully in many years time ;)) it will definately take some getting used to, but I will still watch and follow the game with passion!

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Yes,I will.I will always have a player to fall on when my Martina retires.Hopefully that will be along time from now.*sigh*

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
When your fave retires will you still follow tennis?

Your #1 priority as a tennis fan is the game itself...I've been watching probably a lot longer than most of you...starting with Martina N. and Chrissie Evert et al...then to Steffi and Monica..have seen some wonderful gals and some thrilling matches...when my fave (Martina H.) retires...there will be another fresh face and new talent to make the tennis scene...but as far as replacing her never...and it goes with all the ones who have gone before her..Seles, Steffi, Martina N., Evert, Goolagong, Billie Jean King...they all were individual stars who attained greatness on their own merit!!:hearts: :hearts:
barmaid:wavey:

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I still watch tennis, I just like to watch it, I never thought that I would never watch tennis again when Steffi would retire.
somebody said that you were not a real fan when you don`t stop, I don`t see why:confused:
and second I found new favs even if it is all much less intensive as it was with Steffi! :cool:

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
my absolute fave (STEFFI) retired. But I love tennis and there 's no question about not following it anymore. But it is not the same...

·
Banned
692 Posts
I dunno if ill watch it or not. Just hope that marty stayes in for a very long time and let me build up some back up players.

·
Premium Member
182,394 Posts
when my fav retires i will still have another 1000 others to follow ;) plus many new players so I'll always be around ;)

By the time Lina goes there will be around 30 Russians in top 100 and 60 in top 200

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Exactly... I guess those that have a deep interest in the sport will continue to love it. There was certainly a lean period for me when Monica got stabbed - not that I ever really liked Monica - but I just really turned off it.

But Jana kept me going though the nineties, and as soon as she got injured in French in the doubles and looked like she was gonna retire.... Justine came along. :) It's the game first and foremost - whoever's playing!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think tennis is exciting to watch anyway and I don't only seek out to watch the matches of my faves, i love watching any kind of match really.

But once Monica retires, I will probably need a top player fave to back (my next faves are Sugiyama and Rubin and Tanasugarn) and I will probably join the TOPS clan or the Belgian supporters or the Amezonians/Momosapiens

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
I've lots of favourites... so unless they all retire at once, I'll always have someone to root for :D

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
yeah I repeat Williamz_Rules' sentiments - I have a few favourites, Jen is my absolute though, I'll be sad when she retires, but I'll still continue to watch tennis :)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I get up in the middle of the night to watch the scoreboard turn sometimes for Jennifer Capriati, and I don't do that for any other players!!! So, when she retires, it will be tough to be as enthusiastic about tennis. But hopefully Mirjana Lucic will be on top of her game by then, and I am excited by Maria Sharapova's performances as a 14-year-old, so I am sure there is another fave out there for me to be fanatical about, but, yeah, I agree with other people who have said 'it won't be the same'.

Nice to know that my fave will finish with a handful of Grand Slams, an Olympic Gold Medal and as a former #1 though!!! :) Who would have that a few years ago!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Sure. I started watching tennis when most of the current players weren't born yet :D
On the other hand, I have never had a favourite like Nathalie before, but then, if I only watched tennis when she's on television :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Two of my faves already retired :sad:

But I still follow tennis because there are three other faves :bounce:

Don't ask me what I'll do when they'll retire. Probably I'll still watch tennis, but don't 'live' it ;)

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I'm still going to watch Tennis as I absolutley love to watch it! I don't know who I'm going to support when all my faves retire but it's going to be a long time before Kim, Lleyton, Alex B etc etc retire but sadly Greg will in a couple of years time :sad:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
My passion for tennis will always be bigger than any one player.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.