Tennis Forum banner

When will the show go on again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
61 - 80 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
If they really try play all 3 slams later this year, the last time to start with french should be late july / early august. And even then Im not sure september is not too late for wimbledon.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
If they really try play all 3 slams later this year, the last time to start with french should be late july / early august. And even then Im not sure september is not too late for wimbledon.
French Open postponed to Sept 20th - Oct 4th

There's not enough daylight to play Wimbledon in september is there.

Twilight by 6pm. Maybe they could start play a couple hours earlier in the morning. but its' grass, there would be dew on the ground earlier in the morning.

·
Registered
53,484 Posts
In 2021

The 2020 season was quite short :(

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Went with next year because there is a possibility we will see a second wave that could correspond with next Chinese/European/US winter.

It could be a good time for the tour to redesign the schedule.

·
Registered
113,203 Posts
I think most sports will try to start by June/July, even if that means crowd limitations. There is too much money involved, and this is not a world war where 5 billion people die
There are still 8.5 Billion people and that number is probably heading up, not down, because people are at home with nothing new to watch on screens or tv. Baby boomers part 2 wil be the millions of births 9 months from now
But the old days with big crowds, that I dont know.
It will be interesting to see how this develops, because this hiding inside is destroying a lot of people who need a paycheck and a lot of small businesses. Bezos and Tim Cook and Bill Gates will be fine, but restaurants and small stores are in deep trouble

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I think most sports will try to start by June/July, even if that means crowd limitations. There is too much money involved, and this is not a world war where 5 billion people die
This may be true for "local" sports (within reach of a car drive), but this rules out international sports like the pro tennis circuit. How will players travel to the tournament with all the restrictions? Will there be flights available?

·
Registered
113,203 Posts
I agree, tennis will be one of the last sports to get back to some normalcy
But local sports, like NBA, I can see 2 teams that have 10 people playing by summer, unless some real disaster happens

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,287 Posts
The tours should organize indoor tournaments in October, November and December in America and Europe...
Yeah, I would think that would be possible (fingers crossed) and a few smallish tournaments the last 2 or 3 months of the season would be a good way of warming the players back up so they are ready for what will hopefully be a fully season in 2021, fingers crossed.

·
33,287 Posts
I agree, tennis will be one of the last sports to get back to some normalcy
But local sports, like NBA, I can see 2 teams that have 10 people playing by summer, unless some real disaster happens
I think this is a reasonable timescale to aim for yes. I think for major league sports like MLB, NBA, NFL in the US and football in Europe we are probably looking at resuming in the summer, at some point. But every league in every country will be different and while some might be able to resume mid summer, others I suspect might not be able to resume until late summer or the fall. Each league and each country will have a different pace in which they are able to reintroduce sporting fixtures.

Of course this is all conjecture right now and all we can do is wait and see how things pan out. Whatever anyone's view of what is happening are, and what measures they think should or shouldn't be taking place, I do believe all of us want this awful situation to be resolved ASAP. What becomes stressful is none of us really know when this will happen.

·
Registered
113,203 Posts
Yes, the unknown is always a reason people worry. But its been around for months now and its not destroying the population. Its overloading hospitals. Eventually there will be social distancing with sports, then a vaccine. But for now, its all speculation and people should stay home as much as possible

·
33,287 Posts
Yes, the unknown is always a reason people worry. But its been around for months now and its not destroying the population. Its overloading hospitals. Eventually there will be social distancing with sports, then a vaccine. But for now, its all speculation and people should stay home as much as possible
For most of the world the last couple of weeks the spread has been very significant though. I believe we are at least a couple of months, and perhaps more before we have a clear appreciation of the impact this virus will have on life. What we have seen in Italy and the current rapid spread of the virus in Spain and France is very much a cause for concern. I really do not wish to fear monger but it would also be wrong to assume we have seen the worst of this virus already. Having said that, I hope, like everyone else in the world, that we can combat the spread of this disease as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
113,203 Posts
I hope it doesnt turn out much worse than most of the scientists expect. Trump tweeted
WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF. AT THE END OF THE 15 DAY PERIOD, WE WILL MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHICH WAY WE WANT TO GO!

Then he retweeted
15 days. Then we isolate the high risk groups and the rest of us get back to work before it’s all over for everyone!!

·
33,287 Posts
I hope it doesnt turn out much worse than most of the scientists expect. Trump tweeted
WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF. AT THE END OF THE 15 DAY PERIOD, WE WILL MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHICH WAY WE WANT TO GO!

Then he retweeted
15 days. Then we isolate the high risk groups and the rest of us get back to work before it’s all over for everyone!!
At the risk of sounding too political, that the United States is led right now by an unstable, narcissistic nutter who transparently cares more about his own image than the well-being of the country he leads is very much a cause for concern. :(

·
Registered
18,843 Posts
The pessimistis reigning GM as per usual.

I don't know why people keep on insisting that there won't be tennis in 2020. We are still in March and nobody knows how the situation will be in late summer/fall.

61 - 80 of 138 Posts