Tennis Forum banner

When will the show go on again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
41 - 60 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Unless they decide to forget the southern hemisphere when it´ll star hitting hard in the next weeks, nothing till next year.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
UK has abandoned community testing, and with it any containment strategy. I don't see Wimbledon going forward this year when the rest of the world are still on a containment trajectory.

·
Registered
997 Posts
i hope maybe in september we could play a limited schedule of events including the three remaining slams.

it would obviously be dependent on whether the virus is undercontrol. we will know closer to the time.( if it isn't, ignore the following)

best case scenario would be to play the french open starting last week of september.(21st)
if possible, the preceding week would see, two clay court events for players to get some match play, maybe rearranged events like strasbourg and nurnberg for example. i'm sure both tours would be able to set up a couple of lead up events quickly, particular if things have improved, players and fans would be desperate for it.

after the french open, a week of grass court events for players, nottingham and birmingham, then on to wimbledon starting mid october.
first week of november sees two warm up events in u.s.a., maybe washington and cincinnati, then the u,s. open in the middle of november. all these lead up events would be played simultaneously, so more players can get match practice.

you could even hold some other events in december, as players will be hopefully preparing for aust open 2021, after all, they will not really need an off season.

it's unlikely to happen, but let's hope we get some tennis.

·
Registered
31,010 Posts
i hope maybe in september we could play a limited schedule of events including the three remaining slams.
The players (and the fans) will push for Slams rather than waste precious calendar slots on Internationals and 250s but they may run out of time. As silly as it sounds, the French Open offers the less prize money and I can everyone focusing on saving Wimbledon and/or the US Open.

Tennis will be one of the latest sports to start given how global it is.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The players (and the fans) will push for Slams rather than waste precious calendar slots on Internationals and 250s but they may run out of time. As silly as it sounds, the French Open offers the less prize money and I can everyone focusing on saving Wimbledon and/or the US Open.

It seems to me that the big tournaments (P5/PM) "own" their spot in the calendar and have some guarantee of no competition from other tournaments during that time frame and they'd have grounds to sue if another tournament, even a slam, were to take their spot. Of course it'd be pretty bad PR to sue under such circumstances.

·
Registered
15,610 Posts
Tennis is a global sport require extensive traveling and cooperation between teams from different countries. Therefore, it is more harmful for tennis to resume than other not so global sport (like NBA playing with no spectators cause they are always traveling within the North America even if they may have some international players).

I would say the earliest time for tennis to return would be US Open, but even that looks unlikely at the moment. It's not going to surprise me if they just resume from Australian swing next year, or use the off season time to slot some important events in that can be played (such as Indian Wells).

·
Registered
24,087 Posts
they should try to play all 3 Grand Slams this year, even if it means sacrificing most of the regular WTA tour events (and the Olympics) to schedule changes.

RG in July, Wimby in August, USO in September would be great. Nobody wants to see the Grand Slams cancelled if there is any way that can be avoided.
It would be interesting to see them try to pull this off, and as a viewer it would be ideal. I wonder how logistically possible it is though.

Also, an assumption would be they'd want a few warm-up weeks between majors. Which events could go on at the expense of the others that normally fill the gaps?

·
Registered
24,087 Posts
they should try to play all 3 Grand Slams this year, even if it means sacrificing most of the regular WTA tour events (and the Olympics) to schedule changes.

RG in July, Wimby in August, USO in September would be great. Nobody wants to see the Grand Slams cancelled if there is any way that can be avoided.
It would be interesting to see them try to pull this off, and as a viewer it would be ideal. I wonder how logistically possible it is though.

Also, an assumption would be they'd want a few warm-up weeks between majors. Which events could go on at the expense of the others that normally fill the gaps?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
best case scenario would be to play the french open starting last week of september.(21st)
if possible, the preceding week would see, two clay court events for players to get some match play, maybe rearranged events like strasbourg and nurnberg for example. i'm sure both tours would be able to set up a couple of lead up events quickly, particular if things have improved, players and fans would be desperate for it.

after the french open, a week of grass court events for players, nottingham and birmingham, then on to wimbledon starting mid october.
first week of november sees two warm up events in u.s.a., maybe washington and cincinnati, then the u,s. open in the middle of november. all these lead up events would be played simultaneously, so more players can get match practice.

Are you not familiar with weather in London in mid-October and in New York in mid-November? Which indoor facilities were you planning to move Wimby & the USO to?

The weather window to play FO & Wimby closes at the end of September. Not to mention they need long days, because there are no lights on most courts.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,286 Posts

it would obviously be dependent on whether the virus is undercontrol. we will know closer to the time.( if it isn't, ignore the following)

you could even hold some other events in december, as players will be hopefully preparing for aust open 2021, after all, they will not really need an off season.

it's unlikely to happen, but let's hope we get some tennis.
A grass event of the size of Wimbledon in October taking place on the Wimbledon lawns would be impossible for several reasons. The temperture would often be too cold to play tennis in. The grass would have too much moisture in it and therefore be too slippery and there would not be enough hours of daylight. Some of those issues could perhaps be mitigated on the two showcourts with covers on them but for the rest of the courts they simply could not withstand the demands put on them for a grandslam.

Europe is pretty cold in October. There is a very good reason why European events in the Autumn are almost always played in indoors, with the exception of the occasional clay event played in the southern most parts of Europe.

·
Registered
14,542 Posts

At the same time, Tennis doesn’t have a deadline compare to the others major team sport and tennis can restart almost immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
This thread is going to turn into a rain delay thread where someone posts a "radar map" with bright colours showing where the "storm" is.

Then we will listen to the WTA/ATP tell us that no play before April 1st. Then let them release a revised OOP based on April 1st. When its obvious from the map its going to be longer. Then they'll say May 1st and release a new tournament schedule and have to break that. On and on like that two weeks at a time.

Yesterday NHL Hockey and Baseball revised their suspensions ordered teams to close their facilities send their players home. Both of them are saying no games before mid-May.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Besides the effect of the virus itself (no public events allowed, travel restrictions), there could be a huge worldwide economic crisis as a result of the pandemic, which would have a devastating effect on the pro circuit (cancellation of tournaments for lack of sponsor money)

41 - 60 of 138 Posts