When will the show go on again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, we still don't have all the information, but I reckon we can try to make some kind of estimation.

So what do your guts tell you?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think while in some places like US, Italy and France it will peak (hopefully) late March to early April and be (hopefully) gone by early May, other places will peak by then. Hopefully there will be strict regulations on travel by then, but when all is said and done, perhaps the American hard court swing would be a good place to start.

·
Registered
997 Posts
they should comeback to australia in april.

despite the virus we are starting our australian rules football season on thursday, ( no spectators allowed), rugby league is starting round 2, our soccer season is 6 weeks from the finals,( they are still playing, no spectators), and the final of our basketball season has maybe 2 matches to go,( again no spectators)

so come on down to oz, let's play some tennis.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
They just cancelled Stuttgart and Istanbul. Madrid and Rome will follow soon, then there's no point to hold RG. I'd say late July is the earliest.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Yes, we still don't have all the information, but I reckon we can try to make some kind of estimation.

So what do your guts tell you?

they should try to play all 3 Grand Slams this year, even if it means sacrificing most of the regular WTA tour events (and the Olympics) to schedule changes.

RG in July, Wimby in August, USO in September would be great. Nobody wants to see the Grand Slams cancelled if there is any way that can be avoided.

·
it's just me against the music.
27,170 Posts
Assuming we are good to play by the end of May, I'd simply move the clay swing to September - the weather is still good enough and reboot with the grass. But .... who knows at this point.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The thing that I don't understand about containment/shutdowns is that even if a certain region does become controlled (ironically like in China), what will prevent an infected person from going and fucking it all up again? I think it will take a while for governments to understand how to lift travel bans and allow large sporting events again.

·
Registered
113,203 Posts
I dont see it returning until there is a vaccine, which means next year
Tennis is a global sport and players and their familes/teams have to travel a long way.
You know how many hours it takes to get to Melbourne from Russia, UK or US? Thats going to be tough with no vaccine

·
Registered
17,719 Posts
We really need to look at how China and Korea are improving. The coming weeks for them will tell us what the rest of the world has to look forward to.

Agree. Hopefully early next year, but certainly at some point next year we will have tennis again. I am becoming less and less confident about any more tennis happening this year though.
But to be honest, and with no judgement, you've been incredibly pessimistic about a lot of the issues we've faced this year.

·
Registered
17,719 Posts
they should try to play all 3 Grand Slams this year, even if it means sacrificing most of the regular WTA tour events (and the Olympics) to schedule changes.

RG in July, Wimby in August, USO in September would be great. Nobody wants to see the Grand Slams cancelled if there is any way that can be avoided.
If we're fortunate enough to get the Olympics, I doubt that tennis will skip it. There's just no way the players will forego it if it's happening.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
We really need to look at how China and Korea are improving. The coming weeks for them will tell us what the rest of the world has to look forward to.

But to be honest, and with no judgement, you've been incredibly pessimistic about a lot of the issues we've faced this year.
China and South Korea have both demonstrated incredible response to Coronavirus. The response from authorities is a big factor in how soon the recovery happens.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
If we're fortunate enough to get the Olympics, I doubt that tennis will skip it. There's just no way the players will forego it if it's happening.
I am more sad about the Olympics likely getting cancelled than tennis season. Olympics season is so much fun. I hope they don't cancel it, just postpone it to 2021.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I say freeze the rankings and return next year, better safe than sorry. Like many said tennis is a global sport and people from all over the world come to these matches, as long as we don't have a vaccine this can get out of hand again. So yeah, freeze the season and resume next year in March, as if January-February 2020 and March-October 2021 was one season.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts