Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slow weeks, so we could discuss this.

Last time when a teenager won a GS was 12 years ago. Sharapova won US Open in 2016, her second GS, and she was 19 years old. For a first time winner, 2004 was the year: Sharapova at Wimbledon (17 years, 75 days) and Kuznetsova at US Open (19 years, 76 days).

Ostapenko fell short last year. She won RG 2 days after her 20th yo birthday, so, technically, she didn't win as a teen.

With the actual randomness of GS winners at WTA level, isn't the time for a new prodigy?

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
Hopefully never. Teenagers beating grown women is just embarrassing. Then the teen champion will inevitably burn out in their early 20s anyway.
:scratch: WT .. .? A 17 - 19 yo beating players in their mid-twenties is embarrassing and a sign of impending burnout?

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
I think Anisimova, if she stays healthy!!!, has a good chance of pulling it off.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
This time last year, after winning WTA Biel, a lot of people here would probably have said Vondrousova. And as much as I think she's got a very good chance of winning a slam at some point in her career, she's not pushed on as much as expected in terms of ranking and don't think it will happen until she's in her 20s. There have been great performances and times where she came close, like the Sveta match in USO but last few tournaments she's seemed to struggle through and made it look more difficult than it needed to, this weeks R1 being another example.

Apart from her, it's too obvious to say Anisimova and Kostyuk isn't it? Can't think of other 15-17 year olds in the last few years apart from Belinda Bencic who I've thought has had the potential to have the huge slam breakthrough though. They've both put in some great efforts this year and have another 2-3 full year tours before hitting age 20.

Some current 19 year olds could be set for promising careers, Sabalenka and Lapko my main choices, but not sure if they are slam winners and not anytime soon. Sabalenka is 20 very soon too.

Mighty Maria Mateas could surprise us all still. Hasn't yet kicked on from the Laura Robson slay as a 16 year old :lol:

·
Registered
112,855 Posts
Ostapenko missed by a few days. Without Serena winning so many, the chance that a draw falls apart and a surprise player comes thru is at an all time high.
So I wouldnt say never. Lets see these next 3 majors
3 of the 4 players holding majors just won their first

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
I think Anisimova, if she stays healthy!!!, has a good chance of pulling it off.
Well, now that I've started supporting her she's pretty much doomed. Can't even win Bastad now.

·
Registered
11,772 Posts
:scratch: WT .. .? A 17 - 19 yo beating players in their mid-twenties is embarrassing and a sign of impending burnout?
Well.. 18/19 is not so bad but 17 or below, yes that's embarrassing, even for women who develop earlier they should still be able to beat them with experience. Also, it's seen time and time again that those who peak early often burn out early. Teenagers are often not emotionally mature enough to handle that level of success of winning a slam.

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
Well, now that I've started supporting her she's pretty much doomed. Can't even win Bastad now.
Lets take care of that. Look at the watch.

You are . . . getting . . sleepy. Now repeat after me . .
I. can't. stand. An-is-i-mo-va.

Good. Now I'll count to three and you'll awake, no longer a threat to Anisimova's career.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
There will never be another talent like Hingis, so it's not happening anytime soon.

·
Registered
37,404 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well.. 18/19 is not so bad but 17 or below, yes that's embarrassing, even for women who develop earlier they should still be able to beat them with experience. Also, it's seen time and time again that those who peak early often burn out early. Teenagers are often not emotionally mature enough to handle that level of success of winning a slam.
It's quite weird then than both Serena and Graf start winning slams before being allow to see X-rated movies. 17 years, 350 days for Serena, 7 more days for Graf.

·
Registered
25,214 Posts
Statistically, female tennis player before about 1995 retired at an average age of 25. Some of that was lack of money, some of that was wanting children, but they were out of the game years before they reached their athletic peak. Think of all the players recently who didn't win a slam til 27 or 28. Those players wouldn't have hung around long enough to win those slams. And conversely, today's 17 year olds are playing against grown women at their athletic peak who've had better physio.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts